Re: Greenwater Lake

  • rebel_xsrm
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2007
      Thanks Bob,
      I was just going to correct myself after looking at it a little closer.
      Some great thoughts on these largely unexplored areas.It holds great
      potential for some exciting discoverys.

      Rocky in Regina

      > My quick guess for the unknowns would be a Red-eyed Vireo and a
      Pied-billed Grebe. Check the bill structure of the various smaller
      grebes-Horned, Eared and Pied-billed. Each has a distinctive shape and
      size in addition to more subtle plumage variations.

      > Greenwater Lake Provincial Park had a pair of nesting Trumpeter
      Swans for a number of years. I believe that these nested in a secluded
      area in the northwestern portion of the Park. I have read nothing
      about these for almost a decade so perhaps they have moved elsewhere.
      If a mate is lost for an isolated pair the area can be subsequently be
      abandoned.

      > Based upon recent developments at Riding Mountain National Park this
      species is expanding its range eastward. They often chose rather
      remote or isolated beaver ponds or small lakes away from roads or
      settlement. Because of the multitude of such situations I would guess
      perhaps they are routinely missed. I believe that historically most
      pairs are discovered during airplane or helicopter surveys or flights.

      > Because of the numbers of Tundra Swans which pass through the area,
      Trumpeter's are mostly overlooked during migration. I don't think we
      yet know the pattern or direction of their movements. Do the birds
      which probably still nest in Saskatchewan move east into Manitoba,
      south into Minnesota and then west to their wintering grounds at
      LaCreek South Dakota or do they travel directly south in a narrow
      corridor between perhaps Francis and Carlyle? My guess is that nobody
      knows at this point.

      > Sadly lately there has been little recent exploration of the East
      Central portion of Saskatchewan where Trumpeter's occur plus other
      species such as Whip-poor-will. Scarlet Tanager, Golden-winged Warbler
      and Chimney Swifts among others have been noted The Province is so
      vast and under birded that we just do not know what is out there in
      too many instances.

      > However, I digress.
      >
      > Bob L
      > Regina

    • Val
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2007
        Great shots Kay-Lynne. You have a good eye and great sharp colouring
        from your camera. Rocky's updates were super also and Nick, well we
        also know his are supendous...need a new word once in a while, and
        everyone's shots are so enjoyable. Pete was mentioning Buck Lake. We
        drove by there tonight after a day at the Regina Exhibition. What a
        disappointment as the water level is down considerably and in that
        fairly large area of water there are only a few spots where ducks
        can swim - it's mostly shoreline, sandbars and shallow grasses
        showing through now. There were lots of American Avocets in their
        fall colourings. I can't see too many Tundra Swans or American
        Pelicans wanting to stop by here this fall.

        Thanks Kathy for your kind words but you know that you (a top-
        notched conservationist) and most others on here would do the same
        thing to show appreciation to this wonderful little owl in a
        cropland situation :-). Alas, they must migrate. My cheapy camera
        has been busy taking pictures of them as much as possible.

        We've had loads of Swainson's Hawks in our area and Northern
        Harriers. Also the Short-eared Owls pop up along the road north of
        us. Doyle said one kept landing on the swaths when he was cutting
        the field two days ago. I think this was after supper. They tend to
        show up more towards evening.

        Val Thomas - McTaggart

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "birding2007" <birding2007@...>
        wrote:

        > Just got back from a few days camping at Greenwater lake, heard
        many
        > birds, saw a few and got a few photos. The high point of the trip
        was
        > golden and bald eagles which I saw while out on the lake. I also
        saw
        > common loons, common Mergansers, western grebe, pelicans, geese
        and a
        > variety of ducks. At camp I saw black capped chickadee, American
        > redstart, warblers but I couldn't be sure of ID's for them as they
        > moved so fast. This is where having someone who knows their birds
        > along for the hike would be wonderful. I heard a number of
        woodpeckers
        > but didn't see a single one.I have 2 photos of birds I don't know
        what
        > they are both are young and I can't begin to ID them. If any looks
        at
        > my photobucket site and sees the young birds with no name and can
        help
        > with the ID I would appreciate it. On the way up to Greenwater just
        > outside of Wadena I got a shot of what I believe is a Black Crowned
        > Night Heron. It too is posted here.
        > http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/klbirds/
        >
        > All in all it was a good few days, even with the rainy start to
        > yesterday.
        >
        > Kay-Lynne
        > Regina

      • Bailey and Bjorklund
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 6, 2007
          > We've had loads of Swainson's Hawks in our area

          > Val Thomas - McTaggart

          This seems early for the SWHA to be migrating through this area. Could you
          tell from their plumage if they were breeding or non-breeding birds.

          Martin
        • Rocky Marchigiano
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 28, 2008
            Greetings all,
            Without further ado here is my report from my recent trip.

            First off a brief summary of the park for those who may be interested
            in visiting.The park is 300 kms. N.E. of Regina and an equal distance
            from Saskatoon.It is located in the sub Boreal forest region at the
            western end of the Porcupine Upland and is part of the Manitoba
            Escarpment.The habitat is dominated by White Birch and Aspen.White and
            Black Spruce,Tamarack and Manitoba Maple are also found here.There are
            reported to be 147 nesting species of birds and 20 species of Warblers
            in the park.

            My first couple days in the park were rather uneventful due to some
            inclement weather conditions.The highlight was a lifer in a 3 toed
            Woodpecker seen in the park near the beach.There were also several
            Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers in this area,White Breasted Nuthatches,1
            Black and White Warbler.Purple Martin Hotels were erected all over the
            park and along the beach.They were conspicuous and vocal ,trying to do
            their best to keep their young chicks fed.Red necked Grebes,Coots, 5
            species of gulls,Barn Swallows and Chipping Sparrows were all in this
            core area.Common Loons were heard but further out on the lake,unseen.

            I took in several hikes in the park.There are 3 interpretive trails as
            well as several backcountry trails.The latter aren't maintained in the
            summer months and can be quite challenging with all the recent rains
            and prolific mosquitoe population.

            The Highbush and Donald Cooper Trails are within the core area of the
            park.These were in my experience the best places to bird I found
            during my brief stay.Highlights along the trail were 20+ American
            Redstart, 5 White Throated Sparrows, 2 Chestnuts sided Warblers,1
            Conneticut Warbler,1 Rose Breasted Grosbeak,1 Blue Heron,1 Willow
            Flycatcher,1 Northern Waterthrush.I am fairly certain I heard the '3
            beers' song of the Olive sided Flycatcher but could not locate
            him.Another staccato type song I kept hearing was probably a Tennessee
            Warbler.A hawk flushed on the southern end of the trail but I couldn't
            I.D. him.

            The Hawkins Lake Trail turned out to be a rather miserable hike due to
            insects and wet sections.Highlights were hearing the beautiful song of
            the Hermit Thrush,3 Ruffed Grouse.A backcountry outhouse was home to
            pair of nesting Eastern Phoebes with 4 chicks sitting quietly on the
            nest.I also had the pleasure of watching a White tailed Doe with her
            young fawn in tow.They were completely at ease with my presence.

            The 2 species which really defined the park experience for me were the
            American Redstart and White Throated Sparrow.They were seen or heard
            in almost every area of the park,occassionly even singing at night.Of
            course hearing the call of the Loon and howling Coyotes at night is
            always a treat.

            I thoroughly enjoyed Greenwater,so much so that I may make a return in
            August or September.I wasn't able to get as many bird photos as I had
            hoped but took lots of pics of the park.Those who are interested can
            view these on my Flickr account.

            Take care all,
            Rocky
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 29, 2008
              Rocky
              I enjoyed reading the report of your visit. I think it is an interesting place to explore.

              Greenwater or Marean Lake has had post-breeding Trumpeter Swans previously ;however, I have not heard or read of any more recent sightings.

              Good Birding

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 29, 2008
                Thanx Rocky for the insiders view of Greenwater...inspires me to
                explore this area someday.

                Deena
                Wonder Full Birding
                Regina
              • Rocky Marchigiano
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 29, 2008
                  Bob,Deena thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the report.I certainly hope I
                  can motivate others to visit this wonderful natural treasure.My early
                  morning hike along the Highbush\Donald Cooper Trails was certainly one
                  of my highlights of the year.With the realities of rising fuel costs
                  most residents of the province were choosing to holiday at home.The
                  park staff indicated to me that all parks were running at full
                  capacity last week.

                  Bob I didn't hear any recent news on the Trumpeter Swans.The park
                  website indicates that there is a nesting pair here.From my
                  understanding these were discovered at a backcountry lake on a fly
                  over of the area.Eagles and Ospreys also nest within the
                  park.Unfortunately I didn't see these.From my understanding they are
                  located out on the western point of Greenwater Lake.One would need to
                  take out a boat to get a closeup view of them.

                  Coincidentally I was thinking of a trip to Narrow Hills.I had done
                  some fishing up there several years ago and it was lovely.Thanks for
                  sharing this information,another destination to consider in the future.

                  Take care,
                  Rocky,
                  Regina

                  Rocky
                  I enjoyed reading the report of your visit. I think it is an
                  interesting place
                  to explore.

                  Greenwater or Marean Lake has had post-breeding Trumpeter Swans previously
                  ;however, I have not heard or read of any more recent sightings.

                  Good Birding
                • KL P
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 30, 2008
                    Great report Rocky I was at Greenwater last year and really enjoyed it. I rented a boat and went out on the lake for a bit and was able to see lots of grebes, loons and found my first golden eagle. There was a bald eagle atop a dead tree close to the shore but I wasn't able to get over quick enough. The park has lots of fun trails and I definitely want to return to see what else I can find. I would love to see your pictures but don't have your Flicker account site, if you don't mind reposting it I would really appreciate having a look. Thanks

                    Kay-Lynne

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 30, 2008
                      Thanks Kay Lynne,I'm glad you enjoyed it.I loved it up there and I
                      agree there is lots to yet uncover. I'm hoping to return for a few
                      days later this year and hopefully get together with Nick for some fun
                      times.I hope you enjoy the pics.

                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/24244985@N07/

                      Rocky