Re: [Saskbirds] Greenwater Lake

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2007
      My quick guess for the unknowns would be a Red-eyed Vireo and a Pied-billed Grebe. Check the bill structure of the various smaller grebes-Horned, Eared and Pied-billed. Each has a distinctive shape and size in addition to more subtle plumage variations.

      Greenwater Lake Provincial Park had a pair of nesting Trumpeter Swans for a number of years. I believe that these nested in a secluded area in the northwestern portion of the Park. I have read nothing about these for almost a decade so perhaps they have moved elsewhere. If a mate is lost for an isolated pair the area can be subsequently be abandoned.

      Based upon recent developments at Riding Mountain National Park this species is expanding its range eastward. They often chose rather remote or isolated beaver ponds or small lakes away from roads or settlement. Because of the multitude of such situations I would guess perhaps they are routinely missed. I believe that historically most pairs are discovered during airplane or helicopter surveys or flights.

      Because of the numbers of Tundra Swans which pass through the area, Trumpeter's are mostly overlooked during migration. I don't think we yet know the pattern or direction of their movements. Do the birds which probably still nest in Saskatchewan move east into Manitoba, south into Minnesota and then west to their wintering grounds at LaCreek South Dakota or do they travel directly south in a narrow corridor between perhaps Francis and Carlyle? My guess is that nobody knows at this point.

      Sadly lately there has been little recent exploration of the East Central portion of Saskatchewan where Trumpeter's occur plus other species such as Whip-poor-will. Scarlet Tanager, Golden-winged Warbler and Chimney Swifts among others have been noted The Province is so vast and under birded that we just do not know what is out there in too many instances.

      However, I digress.

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2007
        Thanks Bob,
        I was just going to correct myself after looking at it a little closer.
        Some great thoughts on these largely unexplored areas.It holds great
        potential for some exciting discoverys.

        Rocky in Regina

        > My quick guess for the unknowns would be a Red-eyed Vireo and a
        Pied-billed Grebe. Check the bill structure of the various smaller
        grebes-Horned, Eared and Pied-billed. Each has a distinctive shape and
        size in addition to more subtle plumage variations.

        > Greenwater Lake Provincial Park had a pair of nesting Trumpeter
        Swans for a number of years. I believe that these nested in a secluded
        area in the northwestern portion of the Park. I have read nothing
        about these for almost a decade so perhaps they have moved elsewhere.
        If a mate is lost for an isolated pair the area can be subsequently be
        abandoned.

        > Based upon recent developments at Riding Mountain National Park this
        species is expanding its range eastward. They often chose rather
        remote or isolated beaver ponds or small lakes away from roads or
        settlement. Because of the multitude of such situations I would guess
        perhaps they are routinely missed. I believe that historically most
        pairs are discovered during airplane or helicopter surveys or flights.

        > Because of the numbers of Tundra Swans which pass through the area,
        Trumpeter's are mostly overlooked during migration. I don't think we
        yet know the pattern or direction of their movements. Do the birds
        which probably still nest in Saskatchewan move east into Manitoba,
        south into Minnesota and then west to their wintering grounds at
        LaCreek South Dakota or do they travel directly south in a narrow
        corridor between perhaps Francis and Carlyle? My guess is that nobody
        knows at this point.

        > Sadly lately there has been little recent exploration of the East
        Central portion of Saskatchewan where Trumpeter's occur plus other
        species such as Whip-poor-will. Scarlet Tanager, Golden-winged Warbler
        and Chimney Swifts among others have been noted The Province is so
        vast and under birded that we just do not know what is out there in
        too many instances.

        > However, I digress.
        >
        > Bob L
        > Regina

      • Val
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2007
          Great shots Kay-Lynne. You have a good eye and great sharp colouring
          from your camera. Rocky's updates were super also and Nick, well we
          also know his are supendous...need a new word once in a while, and
          everyone's shots are so enjoyable. Pete was mentioning Buck Lake. We
          drove by there tonight after a day at the Regina Exhibition. What a
          disappointment as the water level is down considerably and in that
          fairly large area of water there are only a few spots where ducks
          can swim - it's mostly shoreline, sandbars and shallow grasses
          showing through now. There were lots of American Avocets in their
          fall colourings. I can't see too many Tundra Swans or American
          Pelicans wanting to stop by here this fall.

          Thanks Kathy for your kind words but you know that you (a top-
          notched conservationist) and most others on here would do the same
          thing to show appreciation to this wonderful little owl in a
          cropland situation :-). Alas, they must migrate. My cheapy camera
          has been busy taking pictures of them as much as possible.

          We've had loads of Swainson's Hawks in our area and Northern
          Harriers. Also the Short-eared Owls pop up along the road north of
          us. Doyle said one kept landing on the swaths when he was cutting
          the field two days ago. I think this was after supper. They tend to
          show up more towards evening.

          Val Thomas - McTaggart

          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "birding2007" <birding2007@...>
          wrote:

          > Just got back from a few days camping at Greenwater lake, heard
          many
          > birds, saw a few and got a few photos. The high point of the trip
          was
          > golden and bald eagles which I saw while out on the lake. I also
          saw
          > common loons, common Mergansers, western grebe, pelicans, geese
          and a
          > variety of ducks. At camp I saw black capped chickadee, American
          > redstart, warblers but I couldn't be sure of ID's for them as they
          > moved so fast. This is where having someone who knows their birds
          > along for the hike would be wonderful. I heard a number of
          woodpeckers
          > but didn't see a single one.I have 2 photos of birds I don't know
          what
          > they are both are young and I can't begin to ID them. If any looks
          at
          > my photobucket site and sees the young birds with no name and can
          help
          > with the ID I would appreciate it. On the way up to Greenwater just
          > outside of Wadena I got a shot of what I believe is a Black Crowned
          > Night Heron. It too is posted here.
          > http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/klbirds/
          >
          > All in all it was a good few days, even with the rainy start to
          > yesterday.
          >
          > Kay-Lynne
          > Regina

        • Bailey and Bjorklund
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 6, 2007
            > We've had loads of Swainson's Hawks in our area

            > Val Thomas - McTaggart

            This seems early for the SWHA to be migrating through this area. Could you
            tell from their plumage if they were breeding or non-breeding birds.

            Martin
          • Rocky Marchigiano
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 28, 2008
              Greetings all,
              Without further ado here is my report from my recent trip.

              First off a brief summary of the park for those who may be interested
              in visiting.The park is 300 kms. N.E. of Regina and an equal distance
              from Saskatoon.It is located in the sub Boreal forest region at the
              western end of the Porcupine Upland and is part of the Manitoba
              Escarpment.The habitat is dominated by White Birch and Aspen.White and
              Black Spruce,Tamarack and Manitoba Maple are also found here.There are
              reported to be 147 nesting species of birds and 20 species of Warblers
              in the park.

              My first couple days in the park were rather uneventful due to some
              inclement weather conditions.The highlight was a lifer in a 3 toed
              Woodpecker seen in the park near the beach.There were also several
              Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers in this area,White Breasted Nuthatches,1
              Black and White Warbler.Purple Martin Hotels were erected all over the
              park and along the beach.They were conspicuous and vocal ,trying to do
              their best to keep their young chicks fed.Red necked Grebes,Coots, 5
              species of gulls,Barn Swallows and Chipping Sparrows were all in this
              core area.Common Loons were heard but further out on the lake,unseen.

              I took in several hikes in the park.There are 3 interpretive trails as
              well as several backcountry trails.The latter aren't maintained in the
              summer months and can be quite challenging with all the recent rains
              and prolific mosquitoe population.

              The Highbush and Donald Cooper Trails are within the core area of the
              park.These were in my experience the best places to bird I found
              during my brief stay.Highlights along the trail were 20+ American
              Redstart, 5 White Throated Sparrows, 2 Chestnuts sided Warblers,1
              Conneticut Warbler,1 Rose Breasted Grosbeak,1 Blue Heron,1 Willow
              Flycatcher,1 Northern Waterthrush.I am fairly certain I heard the '3
              beers' song of the Olive sided Flycatcher but could not locate
              him.Another staccato type song I kept hearing was probably a Tennessee
              Warbler.A hawk flushed on the southern end of the trail but I couldn't
              I.D. him.

              The Hawkins Lake Trail turned out to be a rather miserable hike due to
              insects and wet sections.Highlights were hearing the beautiful song of
              the Hermit Thrush,3 Ruffed Grouse.A backcountry outhouse was home to
              pair of nesting Eastern Phoebes with 4 chicks sitting quietly on the
              nest.I also had the pleasure of watching a White tailed Doe with her
              young fawn in tow.They were completely at ease with my presence.

              The 2 species which really defined the park experience for me were the
              American Redstart and White Throated Sparrow.They were seen or heard
              in almost every area of the park,occassionly even singing at night.Of
              course hearing the call of the Loon and howling Coyotes at night is
              always a treat.

              I thoroughly enjoyed Greenwater,so much so that I may make a return in
              August or September.I wasn't able to get as many bird photos as I had
              hoped but took lots of pics of the park.Those who are interested can
              view these on my Flickr account.

              Take care all,
              Rocky
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 29, 2008
                Rocky
                I enjoyed reading the report of your visit. I think it is an interesting place to explore.

                Greenwater or Marean Lake has had post-breeding Trumpeter Swans previously ;however, I have not heard or read of any more recent sightings.

                Good Birding

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 29, 2008
                  Thanx Rocky for the insiders view of Greenwater...inspires me to
                  explore this area someday.

                  Deena
                  Wonder Full Birding
                  Regina
                • Rocky Marchigiano
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 29, 2008
                    Bob,Deena thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the report.I certainly hope I
                    can motivate others to visit this wonderful natural treasure.My early
                    morning hike along the Highbush\Donald Cooper Trails was certainly one
                    of my highlights of the year.With the realities of rising fuel costs
                    most residents of the province were choosing to holiday at home.The
                    park staff indicated to me that all parks were running at full
                    capacity last week.

                    Bob I didn't hear any recent news on the Trumpeter Swans.The park
                    website indicates that there is a nesting pair here.From my
                    understanding these were discovered at a backcountry lake on a fly
                    over of the area.Eagles and Ospreys also nest within the
                    park.Unfortunately I didn't see these.From my understanding they are
                    located out on the western point of Greenwater Lake.One would need to
                    take out a boat to get a closeup view of them.

                    Coincidentally I was thinking of a trip to Narrow Hills.I had done
                    some fishing up there several years ago and it was lovely.Thanks for
                    sharing this information,another destination to consider in the future.

                    Take care,
                    Rocky,
                    Regina

                    Rocky
                    I enjoyed reading the report of your visit. I think it is an
                    interesting place
                    to explore.

                    Greenwater or Marean Lake has had post-breeding Trumpeter Swans previously
                    ;however, I have not heard or read of any more recent sightings.

                    Good Birding
                  • KL P
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 30, 2008
                      Great report Rocky I was at Greenwater last year and really enjoyed it. I rented a boat and went out on the lake for a bit and was able to see lots of grebes, loons and found my first golden eagle. There was a bald eagle atop a dead tree close to the shore but I wasn't able to get over quick enough. The park has lots of fun trails and I definitely want to return to see what else I can find. I would love to see your pictures but don't have your Flicker account site, if you don't mind reposting it I would really appreciate having a look. Thanks

                      Kay-Lynne

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 30, 2008
                        Thanks Kay Lynne,I'm glad you enjoyed it.I loved it up there and I
                        agree there is lots to yet uncover. I'm hoping to return for a few
                        days later this year and hopefully get together with Nick for some fun
                        times.I hope you enjoy the pics.

                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/24244985@N07/

                        Rocky