Live Earth Day 07/07/07

  • Kathy Hedegard
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2007
      It's a very hot and humid Saturday down here in the SE corner. A breeze has come up - the humidity is dropping to a bearable level. So it is on Live Earth day that I'm using up electricity big time with fans and A/C as well as spraying water on lawns, trees, and garden. Well, I've been an environmentalist type since the early 70's and I'm hoping the concerts going on across the globe are effective in bringing more awareness to more of the citizens of the Earth. It's our home and the only planet we have.

      I'm very sure a brightly coloured monarch fluttering around now is one of the first of the caterpillars to metamorphose. It's been settling on the milkweed so perhaps is laying eggs too. My baby caters are little eating machines. I see another egg starting to swell.

      The backyard is a pretty secure haven for several young EC doves and a Downy Woodpecker chick that is poking and probing at absolutely everything. It had such a good time on the niger sack feeder yesterday; a different texture, feel and certain softness than the apple tree limbs it was exploring. Then it found the suet feeder and quite liked that.

      There are young ones of robins, cowbirds, chipping sparrows, BC chickadees, WB nuthatch and even a brown thrasher this afternoon.

      I am just back from a short trip over into Manitoba. I have a concern about the lack of Great Blue Herons. Didn't see one during my drive. There are almost none in the Estevan area. I passed a location (in MB) that has been a nesting colony every year of the past seven - nothing there this year. Where are they? Has anyone had reports of egrets? I saw one BC night heron at Whitewater Lake. Perhaps I'm just not hitting the right spots at the right time. However, I don't seem to have read much about the big wading birds on Saskbird postings. I think when it comes right down to it, these are my very favourite birds (love tall flowers and tall birds)

      I've been seeing some of those moths 'of yours', Bob; in several places, including the Peace Gardens/Turtle Mtns, Roche Percee park and also here in my part of the neighbourhood in Estevan. I just noticed several of the huge blue dragon flies buzzing the yard.

      Pete, your pictures of the young swans are quite wonderful. Val, I love your posts - what a great birding place You and Doyle have. I enjoy the Burrowing Owl accounts so much and I'll be betting this lot will return to your place next year, if all goes well in their migrations. Now I'm off to browse Nick's & Rocky's blogs.

      Stay cool, be peaceful and drink lots of water

      Ol' treehugger Kathy in Estevan

    • Val
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2007
        Thanks everyone. The Burrowing Owls have been fun for us this year.
        One should petition the government to make it mandatory to
        have 'Slow Down and Save a Protected Owl' signs as one or two of our
        neighbours roar up the road and the adults who may be in the field
        across the road fly up and across back to the nest. Kathy, I agree
        with the Great-blue Herons observation from our sightings. The only
        one we saw was this spring was with Jared as it flew by. We've been
        checking out places we have seen them in previous years with not one
        seen yet. Lots of Killdeer are around even in our area. We have a
        pair in the yard with young ones, there is a pair north of us on the
        road with young, a pair south of us by the railway track with young
        and a pair on the road a mile east with young. Those are a concern
        as they just stick on the roadside.

        Val Thomas

        From Kathy - I am just back from a short trip over into Manitoba. I