Re: [Saskbirds] Trip to Duck Mountain Provincial Park

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2007
      I missed listing several species. So much for doing this from memory ! Cowbird (Very few ), Ovenbird (Abundant !!!!) Black and White Warbler, Gray Jay, Blue Jay, Catbird, Philadelphia Vireo (fewer), Dark-eyed Junco , Ruffed Grouse, Downy Woodpecker and Common Goldeneye, I must mention that Warbling Vireo is a fringe bird in the Park found along the Pelly Trail near the western edge. Eastern Towhee was found only in the Ski Hill area.

      Other species were no doubt present in variable numbers in habitat that I just did not encounter perhaps because of my more focused search away from sometimes specific restricted locations include:Northern Three-toed and Black-backed Woodpecker ( I may have heard N-3 toed drumming in black spruce areas well away from the road.) Western Wood-Pewee (Riding Stable area and main townsite.) and Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Didn't check the many feeders.) I also did not visit the Green Lake breeding White-winged Scoters because of road conditions.

      No doubt Cape May and Bay-breasted Warblers plus Golden-crowned Kinglets were present as well within their limited specific habitats which as mentioned that I didn't explore other than driving by with a very few shorter stops. Much of the song as mentioned was limited because of the advanced season with many species feeding young. The cooler early morning temperatures and wind also were not conducive to optimum birding within this area. Many of the limited boreal habitats were flooded or very wet from the abundant recent rains and abundant snow melt. My hearing for these higher pitched sounds is also being compromised and the wind assisted rustling aspen leaves didn't simplify the task. My focus was upon the Ski Area and a fewer other choice tanager sites extensively plus specific succession related sites looking for the elusive Golden-winged Warbler. A week or at least several days is required to survey the entire rich area.

      Good birding