Rookie needs help with wren nest

  • oxforddb
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2007
      I confess, I'm not a bird person however wrens (house wrens I
      believe) have chosen my back yard to nest in. They are in a little
      decorative house that hangs on a plant stand in the middle of the
      yard. Today I heard the babies, so its official.... however my dog,
      and the neighborhood cats have noticed the arrivals as well.

      I erected a small fence to keep my dog from sticking her nose in
      there so for now I've got her covered for now, and when she is
      outside she is effective in keeping cat's and other predators
      away. .. But she's not out all the time and the neighbor's cat has
      definitely shown interest and has me worried. Tonite I turned on a
      low sprinkler under the nest to keep the cat away overnite until I
      can figure out another plan,,, maybe a motion sprinkler? however
      they are quite costly...

      Any info or hints would be greatly appreciated:
      - How long does it take till the little ones show themselves?
      - Are they able to fly right away or will they be floundering around
      for a while? How long till they try to fly?
      - Any tips on keeping the predators away? My water bill may get
      large with the sprinkler going every nite :):)
      - Can I carefully move the nest a bit higher on the plant hanger
      post without causing excessive distress or is it best to just leave
      it where it is and hope for the best. The cat can't reach it from
      the ground.. , but may be able to jump onto it and that would likely
      bring it tumbling down. Its not that strong... I wasn't expecting
      tenants.
      - will they use the nest again next year? or someone even said they
      will lay more than one batch in one year.

      Thanks in advance for your help.
      Della
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2007
        Della
        Yes you could move the nest higher in stages. The calls of the younger birds will attract the parents. The young should fledge in a couple of weeks and all should be fine.

        They may lay another clutch or return next year;however, you can make changes to prevent that from happening or as mentioned relocate the nest box. They'll find another place or relocate.

        Birds do contend with predators in the wild such as squirrels and chipmunks or raptors. The household cat is such an effective bird killer. If only owners would respect other person's yards and rights by keeping them indoors or in a enclosure or on a tether. Spraying the cat with water when it is in your yard will discourage it somewhat.

        Hope this is helpful.

        Good birding

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2007
          I'm in the same predicament actually regarding cats . For the first
          time ever we have 2 parent House Wrens and a clutch of young begging
          for food in a small nest box in our backyard.
          Our nest box is secured by some strong wire and hangs from the
          medium height branches of our Lilac Bushes right at the back of our
          yard . The box is quite protected and sheltered within the Lilac ,
          but we do get cats that sometimes appear on the fence and climb down
          to try their luck.
          Like Bob said, water is a great deterent , as cats generally hate
          being sprayed !
          I'm going to buy one of those pump action water sprayers from 'Toys
          R Us' and really show the moggies they are messing with the wrong
          folk.
          Right now , old squeezy dish soap bottles do a fine job , but I need
          more reach . Of course, you can't be standing guard over the baby
          Wrens 24/7 . For the most part though, the rattling , scolding call
          of the parents usually alerts me, as I can hear that from any open
          window in the house and last night for instance it turned out to be
          a Magpie that was intimidating them, and then later a pretty
          harmless Robin.

          Cheers

          Nick
        • Don Wilson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
            Could U lay netting or chicken wire on the ground around the nest box,
            far enough so that a cat won't be able to spring onto the box? I
            understand that cats and animals in general avoid walking on 'trappy'
            materials.
            Don Wilson

            --
            http://www.crowsnest-highway.ca : The Virtual Crowsnest Highway