S'toon May Day Bird Count....

  • Guy J. Wapple
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2007
      Fellow Birders,

      Please excuse the long post, but I thought you might be interested in
      Mr. Saunders and my results of our area back on 26 May 2007. We were
      assigned the very productive and interesting SW 1 sector, which we
      also covered last year. This area begins just over our CN mainline
      at the SW corner of S'toon on Valley Road. We covered the following
      locations: Pike Lake; W to Delisle; SW to Laura + Goose Lake; S to
      the SBA boundary; E thru the former hamlet of Ardath; N to Swanson +
      Donavon with some short side trips off of Hwy. 45; N + E to Vanscoy
      thru back roads and finally home!

      Temps were a chilly +4 to 19 C. Clear morning conditions with clouds
      rolling in during the afternoon. Winds were thankfully light from
      the SE at 10 to 20 k/h. I picked Nick up at 0600 and I arrived home
      at 2130 hrs. We put 263 clicks on the Escape in 11.5 hrs. and walked
      about 4 kms. in 3.5 hrs.

      I had a better day than Nick in terms of New Year Birds (as usual
      indicated below by #), since I hadn't really done any 'hardcore'
      birding yet this spring. I added 21 NYB's to my 2007 list. It was
      also fun to see Nick add three lifers: the RB ME's, NO WA and SE
      WR. Unfortunately, the latter (two single birds S of Laura and W of
      Ardath), chose to sing from deep cover and not reveal themselves. Oh
      well, sometimes the term 'heard only' has to be noted!

      While we ended up 3 birds short of last years 112, we felt we had a
      better day overall, with many interesting sightings and good laughs
      along the way. Almost the most interesting event of the day was the
      experience with the three garter snakes along the nature trail at
      Pike Lake PP. The herps were both on the boardwalk and swimming in
      the water adjacent to the swampy part of the trail south of the
      Nature Centre. Nick didn't realize they were such an aquatic
      beastie. If you've checked out his blog, you've seen the picture of
      two of the snakes on a log floating in the water. I think there was
      some lovin' in the future for those two, but the neat part was
      watching the large blackish spider working it's way towards the two
      snakes. We were sure we were going to witness the demise of the
      arachnid. It got to within a tongue-flick of the larger (female?)
      snake, but managed to bolt past them both to safety!

      1. Canada Goose 25
      2. Gadwall 25
      3. Am Wigeon 25
      4. Mallard 25
      5. Blue-wg Teal 25
      6. N Shoveler 25
      7. N Pintail 25
      8. Green-wg Teal 17
      9. Canvasback 115
      10. Redhead 125
      11. Ring-nk Duck 17
      12. Lesser Scaup 42
      13. Bufflehead 7
      14. # Hooded Merg 1
      15. # Red-br Merg 3
      16. Ruddy Duck 53
      17. S-t Grouse 7
      18. Pied-b Grebe 8
      19. Horned Grebe 33
      20. Eared Grebe 142
      21. D-c Cormorant 2
      22. Great Bl Heron 1
      23. # B-c N Heron 7
      24. Turkey Vulture 3
      25. N Harrier 2
      26. Swain Hawk 14
      27. Red-t Hawk 17
      28. # Ferrug Hawk 2
      29. Am Kestrel 1
      30. Sora 27
      31. Am Coot 124
      32. # Blk-bel Plover 56
      33. Killdeer 38
      34. Am Avocet 62
      35. Willet 22
      36. Long-b Curlew 2
      37. Marb Godwit 16
      38. # Semi Sand 25
      39. # Baird's Sand 6
      40. # Stilt Sand 28
      41. Wilson's Snipe 12
      42. Wilson's Phal 178
      43. Franklin's Gull 1590
      44. California Gull 2
      45. Black Tern 230
      46. Rock Pigeon 12
      47. Mourning Dove 34
      48. G Horned Owl 2
      49. # Com Nighthawk 2
      50. # Belted King 1
      51. Y-b Sapsucker 3
      52. Hairy Wpkr 2
      53. N (Y-s) Flicker 16
      54. Least Flyc 37
      55. # E Phoebe 4
      56. Western Kgbd 18
      57. Eastern Kgbd 21
      58. Warb Vireo 14
      59. R-e Vireo 11
      60. Blue Jay 3
      61. B-b Magpie 76
      62. Am Crow 83
      63. Com Raven 3
      64. Horned Lark 24
      65. Tree Swlw 67
      66. Bank Swlw 22
      67. Cliff Swlw 60
      68. Barn Swlw 71
      69. B-c Chickadee 4
      70. House Wren 37
      71. # Sedge Wren 2
      72. Marsh Wren 9
      73. Mountain Blbd 4
      74. # Veery 4
      75. Swain Thrush 1
      76. Am Robin 53
      77. Gray Catbird 9
      78. Br Thrasher 5
      79. Eur Starling 42
      80. # Sprague's Pipit 5
      81. Tenn Warb 1
      82. Yellow Warb 61
      83. Y-r Warb 2
      84. # Blk + Wh Warb 3
      85. # Am Redstart 7
      86. # Ovenbird 3
      87. # N Waterthrush 1
      88. Com Ythroat 9
      89. # Spot Towhee 12
      90. Chip Sprw 23
      91. Cl-col Sprw 115
      92. Vesper Sprw 95
      93. Lark Sprw 7
      94. Savann Sprw 67
      95. # Baird's Sprw 10
      96. Le Cont Sprw 23
      97. Song Sprw 18
      98. Rose-br Grbk 2
      99. Bobolink 6
      100.Red-wg Bkbd 255
      101.W Meadowlark 122
      102.Yel-hd Bkbd 245
      103.Brewer's Bkbd 280
      104.Com Grackle 2
      105.Br-hd Cowbird 73
      106.Balt Oriole 6
      107.Pine Siskin 1
      108.Am Goldfinch 43
      109.House Sprw 24

      I'm not sure how the table will end up. I copied it from a WORD
      document I had typed up, and hope that when this goes thru YAHOO,
      they won't put the numbers all over the place.

      We also saw:

      Butterflies---Can Tiger Swallowtail - 12; Spring Azure - 5+; Clouded
      Sulphur - 25+; Cabbage White - 5+.

      Mammals---W-t Jack - 3; Rich Gr Squirrel - 35+; Muskrat - 17; Coyote -
      1; Red Fox - 1; Badger - 1; W-t Deer - 6; Mule Deer - 7.

      Reptiles/Amphibians---W Plains Garter Snake - 3; Boreal Chorus Frog -
      52+ heard; Can Toad - 17+ heard.

      Of course there was water, water everywhere we went. As a result, we
      had large numbers of Muskrats and Frogs. I'm sure Nick forgot to
      write a few of them down, but these numbers are reasonably accurate.
      After all, he DID have to take a few pictures along the trail!!!

      Time for bed. Looks like another call in the middle of the night...

      Cheers,

      Guy Wapple,
      S'tooon