Re: [Saskbirds] Burrowing Owl

  • Bailey and Bjorklund
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2007
      What a wonderful opportunity to help out an endangered species. Only
      landowners can do it.
      See what Operation Burrowing Owl advises 1-800-667-HOOT. (Probably leave
      some land around the hole undisturbed and stay away from it.)

      Martin.

      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2007
        At 08:35 01/05/2007, you wrote:
        >What a wonderful opportunity to help out an endangered species. Only
        >landowners can do it.
        >See what Operation Burrowing Owl advises 1-800-667-HOOT. (Probably leave
        >some land around the hole undisturbed and stay away from it.)
        >
        >Martin.

        Or go to the web site

        http://www.naturesask.ca/stewardship_burrowingOwl.php

        Lots of interesting information there.

        Bruce Wilson
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada
        Life Member NMRA Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild
      • nikovich71
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2007
          Fabulous sighting Val , and so great that you now have a pair .

          Here's hoping they can stick around undisturbed to breed .

          Cheers

          Nick

          PS. Finally got my first Yellow-rumped Warbler this morning .
        • Val
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2007
            Doyle is taking a good clearance around them. The two owls were on the
            mound when I drove up this morning but one ducked down and just peeked
            out of the hole while I viewed with binoculars. The tractor is very
            close and they are so curious as to what's going on. We're really
            pleased and hope they stay. I should clear up that this is a quarter
            we have rented from our neighbours for years. Must tell them about it.
            When the durum wheat grows, no one will know they are there.

            Val and Doyle Thomas

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 22, 2007
              We had a great presentation last night and the burrowing owl Jared
              imprinted was a shining star along with the presenter. Having followed
              the story of this little bird all summer, it was a pleasure to meet
              it. Also great Kathy came again. We could hear flocks of snow geese
              flying over last night. Hope the Short-eared Owl sticks around for our
              CBC in Weyburn which is set for December 15th.

              Val T
            • zedbander
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 16, 2009
                There is a Burrowing Owl near Highway #4, south of Kyle, that apparently has its seasons confused.

                As I understand it, Burrowing Owls arrive in the spring, select a burrow, and set up house.

                This owl, appearing healthy, is guarding a not so big gopher hole (numerous splashes of excreta and several fresh pellets at the entrance) and giving territorial? calls.

                Talk about trying to get a jump on the breeding season!

                According to Frank's Birds of the Elbow, the latest record of a Burrowing Owl in the region previously was 15 October.

                Dan

                Matador, Sk
              • Val T
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 30, 2012
                  We took a quick drive along the Yellow Grass N/S grid yesterday. We saw one Burrowing Owl still sticking around, about four Great-blue Herons on our way over there, several Red-tailed Hawks and small flocks of Lapland Longspurs. Noticed about 30 Western Meadowlarks along a road by Trossachs. Surprised at the number of Horned Larks north on our road where it is just a trail. Also along our road there are still quite a few Killdeer and about three Western Meadowlarks plus a Great-blue Heron at the bridge north of us. We have scads of Harris's Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos right now with the odd other kinds of sparrows tossed in the mixture. A Sharp-shinned Hawk enjoys viewing the pickings most days. Also enjoying a Red-breasted Nuthatch which isn't common at our place. A Yellow-shafted Flicker hit the window and remained shocked for a while but did a great recovery.

                  Val T - McTaggart