Cinema 6 road

  • rebel_xsrm
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2007
      I made my first trek out to this popular birding destination
      today.Spent a few hours traveling around the myriad of grids in the
      vicinity.I wasn't keen eyed enough to spot any owls unfortunately.I
      may have to hire Jared to guide me around.lol I did manage to see
      several raptors in the area-2 roughlegged hawks,4 northern harriers
      and a couple hawks in the distance in a shelterbelt i didn't manage to
      i.d.Other species seen today were Mallards-approx. 50, Meadowlarks
      -20, killdeers-4,horned larks-6,american crow-20.Large numbers of
      Canada geese and gulls were prsent in the sloughs and i would guess a
      couple thousand snow geese travelled past me.I was surprised at the
      number of birds in the area and thoroughly enjoyed my trek.I got a
      fairly decent shot of a rough legged hawk in flight today which i'll
      post up here tonight.
      Thanks again for all the advice,directions and help here.
      Take care all -Rocky M. Regina
    • Scott Wilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
        About 5 pm today 4 miles S of Kronau we observed a pair of Short-eared owls
        flying together. They stayed within a few ha, flying in circles,
        occasionally flying at each other. Neither one seemed to be the main
        aggressor. A few times they got close and extended their talons without
        touching and fell through the air together. One or the other sometimes
        folded its wings beneath its body and rapidly clapped them together folded
        (4 times/second?), falling headfirst towards the ground. One or both sat on
        the ground for a third of the time. Altitude was generally less than 30 m.

        A half mile behind them another pair was doing the same thing.

        Also...
        Tens of thousands of snow geese
        Hundreds of Canada geese
        Ditto pintails, redheads, canvasbacks, mallards, ringbilled gulls
        Three gadwall
        Seven swans
        Two robins, two magpies, many horned larks, harriers and meadowlarks

        Scott
      • dan sawatzky
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2009
          Hi

          Took a short drive this afternoon and found 3 Snowy Owls in the Cinema 6 road area south of Regina. Also the single Common Merganser and Lesser Scaup along with 100 Mallards were at the open water on Wascana.

          Dan
          Regina
        • dan sawatzky
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 24, 2011
            Hi

            Took a short drive this morning on Cinema 6 Road and saw the following.

            Snowy Owl 2
            Horned Lark 38
            Snow Bunting 1
            Black-billed Magpie 1

            At Wascana there were 102 Canada Geese, 2 Crows and 1 Sharp-tailed Grouse flying near the Centre of the Arts.

            Dan