Arrival of Red-tailed Hawk

  • Firefly1515
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7 12:14 PM
      This is the first spring I've spent in my home province of Saskatchewan
      since I have been trained in birding, and I'm lost in terms of when
      certain species should be arriving and bringing in the spring season!
      That said, last weekend (March 2 I believe) I was at home in a small
      town in the Regina area, and I heard a red-tailed hawk! I was thinking
      it was pretty early for the species to be back, but then again, I'm
      unsure of the timeline for southern SK. Anyone have any thoughts?
      When should I expect the most common spring birds to appear in the
      Regina area? Thanks!
      Cheers,
      Sarah, Regina
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7 7:43 PM
        Sarah
        I think you will get a snapshot of the migration by monitoring Saskbirds. If you are fortunate to secure an old copy of Marg Belcher's "Birds of Regina" which has arrival dates for various species you will have perhaps a better sense of the typical sequencing of a migration. Horned Larks are arriving and Merlins are beginning their courtship calling. Soon Mountain Bluebirds will be seen within the Qu'Appelle and the pace of migration will begin to quicken. It is sometimes difficult to determine if some sightings are of winter stragglers or indeed new arrivals.

        One of my favorite times is the arrival of the gulls to Wascana Marsh in late March and early April. It is always exciting to see if some rarities are among them.

        Welcome to the group. It's great to increase our numbers and share the excitement of birding in the Province and the City.