Song Sparrow

  • Feather149
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 28, 2007
      Well.... just sat down in the living room and looked out the window to see a Song Sparrow sitting on a branch by the feeders alongside the Redpolls, Chickadees and House Sparrows. It appeared to be alone and seem quite pleased to discover a feeder full of sunflower seeds.

      Isn't this early for a Song Sparrow? I haven't seen one around since last fall.

      Debby, in Goodeve

    • nikovich71
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 1, 2007
        Nice sighting - that just made it onto the Saskatchewan Winter Bird
        List I believe .

        Cheers

        Nick

        Saskatoon
      • Ryan Dudragne
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 7, 2007
          Good Evening All,

          Spring is nearly here!! In a couple of weeks the first gulls will be
          returning to our province, and the ducks and bluebirds are not far away,
          either. In the mean time, I will provide a much needed update to the
          2007 year list.

          First off, there was an omission from the last update that has since
          been corrected- I forgot to add the wintering Gadwall, which was
          relocated along the Swift Current Creek on Jan. 21. Oops!

          This, and twelve new birds bumps us up to 91 species after the first two
          months of 2007. Not bad at all, considering that we only had 76 species
          at this time last year. I do not imagine that there will be any trouble
          in surpassing 100 species by the end of the month.

          New to the list (13): Gadwall, Canvasback, Greater Scaup, Great Blue
          Heron, Ferruginous Hawk, Rough-legged Hawk, Prairie Falcon, Barred Owl,
          Black-backed Woodpecker, Brown Thrasher, Song Sparrow, Brewer's
          Blackbird, Pine Siskin

          ((By the way, thanks to Brenda and Harvey for the delightful ptarmigan
          footage. I have a friend from Creighton who sometimes speaks of the
          ptarmigan, and as I can see from the great videos, they are indeed
          fascinating birds!))

          Please let me know of any errors or omissions you may find (or neglect
          to find!), and I will deal with it/them accordingly.

          Best of Birding,

          Ryan Dudragne
          Saskatoon, SK

          2007 Saskatchewan Year List

          1. Canada Goose (Jan. 11)
          2. Gadwall (Jan. 21)
          3. Mallard (Jan. 01)
          4. Northern Pintail (Jan. 04)
          5. Green-winged Teal (Jan. 04)
          6. Canvasback (Feb. 16)
          7. Ring-necked Duck (Jan. 04)
          8. Greater Scaup (Feb. 16)
          9. Bufflehead (Jan. 04)
          10. Common Goldeneye (Jan. 01)
          11. Common Merganser (Jan. 01)
          12. Gray Partridge (Jan. 01)
          13. Ring-necked Pheasant (Jan. 01)
          14. Ruffed Grouse (Jan. 01)
          15. Spruce Grouse (Jan. 01)
          16. Willow Ptarmigan (Jan. 02)
          17. Sharp-tailed Grouse (Jan. 01)
          18. Great Blue Heron (Feb. 25)(----)
          19. Bald Eagle (Jan. 01)
          20. Northern Harrier (Jan. 09)
          21. Sharp-shinned Hawk (Jan. 02)
          22. Northern Goshawk (Jan. 01)
          23. Red-tailed Hawk (Jan. 03)
          24. Ferruginous Hawk (Feb. 26)
          25. Rough-legged Hawk (Feb. 26)
          26. Golden Eagle (Jan. 01)
          27. American Kestrel (Jan. 15)
          28. Merlin (Jan. 01)
          29. Gyrfalcon (Jan. 01)
          30. Prairie Falcon (Jan. 28)
          31. American Coot (Jan. 04)
          32. Rock Pigeon (Jan. 01)
          33. Eurasian Collared Dove (Jan. 01)
          34. Mourning Dove (Jan. 01)
          35. Great Horned Owl (Jan. 01)
          36. Snowy Owl (Jan. 01)
          37. Northern Hawk Owl (Jan. 01)
          38. Barred Owl (Feb. 21)
          39. Short-eared Owl (Jan. 01)
          40. Boreal Owl (Jan. 20)
          41. Downy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
          42. Hairy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
          43. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Jan. 07)
          44. Black-backed Woodpecker (Feb. 18)
          45. Northern Flicker (Jan. 01)
          46. Pileated Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
          47. Northern Shrike (Jan. 01)
          48. Gray Jay (Jan. 01)
          49. Blue Jay (Jan. 01)
          50. Black-billed Magpie (Jan. 01)
          51. American Crow (Jan. 01)
          52. Common Raven (Jan. 01)
          53. Horned Lark (Jan. 01)
          54. Black-capped Chickadee (Jan. 01)
          55. Boreal Chickadee (Jan. 01)
          56. Red-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
          57. White-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
          58. Brown Creeper (Jan. 01)
          59. Golden-crowned Kinglet (Jan. 01)
          60. Townsend's Solitaire (Jan. 05)
          61. Hermit Thrush (Jan. 01)
          62. American Robin (Jan. 02)
          63. Varied Thrush (pre Jan. 20)
          64. Brown Thrasher (2006/Jan.)
          65. European Starling (Jan. 01)
          66. Bohemian Waxwing (Jan. 01)
          67. Cedar Waxwing (Jan. 01)
          68. Song Sparrow (Jan. 01)
          69. White-throated Sparrow (Jan. 02)
          70. Harris's Sparrow (Jan. 04)
          71. White-crowned Sparrow (early Jan.)
          72. Dark-eyed Junco (Jan. 01)
          73. Lapland Longspur (Jan. 01)
          74. Snow Bunting (Jan. 01)
          75. Northern Cardinal (early Jan.)
          continued from 2005; Lumsden
          76. Western Meadowlark (early Jan.)
          77. Rusty Blackbird (Jan. 02)
          78. Brewer's Blackbird (Feb. 19)
          79. Common Grackle (Jan. 07)
          80. Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Jan. 01)
          81. Pine Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
          82. Purple Finch (Jan. 04)
          83. House Finch (Jan. 01)
          84. Red Crossbill (Jan. 02)
          85. White-winged Crossbill (Jan. 01)
          86. Common Redpoll (Jan. 01)
          87. Hoary Redpoll (Jan. 01)
          88. Pine Siskin (Feb. 16)
          89. American Goldfinch (Jan. 01)
          90. Evening Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
          91. House Sparrow (Jan. 01)

        • Ryan Dudragne
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 21, 2007
            Good Evening All,

            First of all, I would like to add my word of welcome to Kristen and
            Shayne. It is always great to have new members in the group, and I am
            sure that we all will look forward to your sightings and questions.

            To add some more input to Shayne's query on the number of bird species
            in the province, I will say that taking a look at the official checklist
            that Bob provided a link for is a really good starting place. The
            checklist clearly denotes the species that breed or have bred within
            provincial borders, as well as which species do not breed but regularly
            occur or occasionally straggle in to the province ("straggler" = 25 or
            fewer records). The checklist is current to June 2005; there have been
            additions since then, such as the Curve-billed Thrasher mentioned
            earlier on this group, and others.

            Also, to give you some idea of what we get, I will provide a link to
            last year's unofficial list of birds reported to Saskbirds. With about
            twenty rarities and significant non-rarities, we tallied 311 for 2006.
            Stay tuned for updates to the 2007 list, which I will provide periodically.

            * * *

            On that note, here is the most recent update. With 12 new species to
            add since March 06, our total has jumped up to 103 species so far. Of
            note were a couple of "early birds": a Killdeer in Swift Current on
            March 17th trumped last year's more typical arrival date of April 01, an
            early Chipping Sparrow also hailing from Swift Current on March 18 was
            nearly a month earlier than last year's first (Apr. 11), and Brett's
            Blue-winged Teal on March 20th beat last year's bird (April 08). The
            American Wigeon was only about a week earlier than last year.

            New to the list (13): Cackling Goose, American Wigeon, Blue-winged Teal,
            Redhead, Killdeer, Ring-billed Gull, California Gull, Herring Gull,
            Mountain Bluebird, American Tree Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, Red-winged
            Blackbird

            Finally, I appreciate any feedback, either positive or (gulp!)
            negative. Please let me know of any errors or omissions from the list
            below and I will deal with them as necessary.

            Best of Birding,

            Ryan Dudragne
            Saskatoon, SK

            2007 Saskatchewan Year List

            1. Cackling Goose (Mar 14)
            2. Canada Goose (Jan. 11)
            3. Gadwall (Jan. 21)
            4. American Wigeon (Mar. 18)
            5. Mallard (Jan. 01)
            6. Blue-winged Teal (Mar. 20)
            7. Northern Pintail (Jan. 04)
            8. Green-winged Teal (Jan. 04)
            9. Canvasback (Feb. 16)
            10. Redhead (Mar. 10)
            11. Ring-necked Duck (Jan. 04)
            12. Greater Scaup (Feb. 16)
            13. Bufflehead (Jan. 04)
            14. Common Goldeneye (Jan. 01)
            15. Common Merganser (Jan. 01)
            16. Gray Partridge (Jan. 01)
            17. Ring-necked Pheasant (Jan. 01)
            18. Ruffed Grouse (Jan. 01)
            19. Spruce Grouse (Jan. 01)
            20. Willow Ptarmigan (Jan. 02)
            21. Sharp-tailed Grouse (Jan. 01)
            22. Great Blue Heron (Feb. 25)(----)
            23. Bald Eagle (Jan. 01)
            24. Northern Harrier (Jan. 09)
            25. Sharp-shinned Hawk (Jan. 02)
            26. Northern Goshawk (Jan. 01)
            27. Red-tailed Hawk (Jan. 03)
            28. Ferruginous Hawk (Feb. 26)
            29. Rough-legged Hawk (Feb. 26)
            30. Golden Eagle (Jan. 01)
            31. American Kestrel (Jan. 15)
            32. Merlin (Jan. 01)
            33. Gyrfalcon (Jan. 01)
            34. Prairie Falcon (Jan. 28)
            35. American Coot (Jan. 04)
            36. Killdeer (Mar. 17)
            37. Ring-billed Gull (Mar. 17)
            38. California Gull (Mar. 17)
            39. Herring Gull (Mar. 20)
            40. Rock Pigeon (Jan. 01)
            41. Eurasian Collared Dove (Jan. 01)
            42. Mourning Dove (Jan. 01)
            43. Great Horned Owl (Jan. 01)
            44. Snowy Owl (Jan. 01)
            45. Northern Hawk Owl (Jan. 01)
            46. Barred Owl (Feb. 21)
            47. Short-eared Owl (Jan. 01)
            48. Boreal Owl (Jan. 20)
            49. Downy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
            50. Hairy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
            51. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Jan. 07)
            52. Black-backed Woodpecker (Feb. 18)
            53. Northern Flicker (Jan. 01)
            54. Pileated Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
            55. Northern Shrike (Jan. 01)
            56. Gray Jay (Jan. 01)
            57. Blue Jay (Jan. 01)
            58. Black-billed Magpie (Jan. 01)
            59. American Crow (Jan. 01)
            60. Common Raven (Jan. 01)
            61. Horned Lark (Jan. 01)
            62. Black-capped Chickadee (Jan. 01)
            63. Boreal Chickadee (Jan. 01)
            64. Red-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
            65. White-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
            66. Brown Creeper (Jan. 01)
            67. Golden-crowned Kinglet (Jan. 01)
            68. Mountain Bluebird (Mar. 10)
            69. Townsend's Solitaire (Jan. 05)
            70. Hermit Thrush (Jan. 01)
            71. American Robin (Jan. 02)
            72. Varied Thrush (pre Jan. 20)
            73. Brown Thrasher (2006/Jan.)
            74. European Starling (Jan. 01)
            75. Bohemian Waxwing (Jan. 01)
            76. Cedar Waxwing (Jan. 01)
            77. American Tree Sparrow (Mar. 11)
            78. Chipping Sparrow (Mar. 18)
            79. Song Sparrow (Jan. 01)
            80. White-throated Sparrow (Jan. 02)
            81. Harris's Sparrow (Jan. 04)
            82. White-crowned Sparrow (early Jan.)
            83. Dark-eyed Junco (Jan. 01)
            84. Lapland Longspur (Jan. 01)
            85. Snow Bunting (Jan. 01)
            86. Northern Cardinal (early Jan.), continued from 2005; Lumsden
            87. Red-winged Blackbird (Jan. 28)
            88. Western Meadowlark (early Jan.)(Mar. 10)
            89. Rusty Blackbird (Jan. 02)
            90. Brewer's Blackbird (Feb. 19)
            91. Common Grackle (Jan. 07)
            92. Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Jan. 01)
            93. Pine Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
            94. Purple Finch (Jan. 04)
            95. House Finch (Jan. 01)
            96. Red Crossbill (Jan. 02)
            97. White-winged Crossbill (Jan. 01)
            98. Common Redpoll (Jan. 01)
            99. Hoary Redpoll (Jan. 01)
            100. Pine Siskin (Feb. 16)
            101. American Goldfinch (Jan. 01)
            102. Evening Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
            103. House Sparrow (Jan. 01)

          • Ryan Dudragne
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 21, 2007
              Oops, here is the link to last year's list:

              --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Dudragne <pl8guy@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > 67. Golden-crowned Kinglet (Jan. 01)
              > 68. Mountain Bluebird (Mar. 10)
              > 69. Townsend's Solitaire (Jan. 05)
              > 70. Hermit Thrush (Jan. 01)
              > 71. American Robin (Jan. 02)
              > 72. Varied Thrush (pre Jan. 20)
              > 73. Brown Thrasher (2006/Jan.)
              > 74. European Starling (Jan. 01)
              > 75. Bohemian Waxwing (Jan. 01)
              > 76. Cedar Waxwing (Jan. 01)
              > 77. American Tree Sparrow (Mar. 11)
              > 78. Chipping Sparrow (Mar. 18)
              > 79. Song Sparrow (Jan. 01)
              > 80. White-throated Sparrow (Jan. 02)
              > 81. Harris's Sparrow (Jan. 04)
              > 82. White-crowned Sparrow (early Jan.)
              > 83. Dark-eyed Junco (Jan. 01)
              > 84. Lapland Longspur (Jan. 01)
              > 85. Snow Bunting (Jan. 01)
              > 86. Northern Cardinal (early Jan.), continued from 2005; Lumsden
              > 87. Red-winged Blackbird (Jan. 28)
              > 88. Western Meadowlark (early Jan.)(Mar. 10)

            • Ryan Dudragne
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 5, 2007
                Good Evening All,

                It is good to see the reports flood in with the onslaught of spring.
                Now that migration is underway there should be waves of new reports
                coming in over the next couple of months. Since March 21, we have 13
                new species to add to the 2007 year list, and one that I forgot to add
                in the previous update (Glaucous Gull). This brings the running total
                up to 117 species.

                New to the list (14): Greater White-fronted Goose, Snow Goose, Tundra
                Swan, Northern Shoveler, Lesser Scaup, American White Pelican, Turkey
                Vulture, Swainson's Hawk (vs. Apr. 05 2006), Sandhill Crane (vs. Apr. 01
                2006), Franklin's Gull, Glaucous Gull (oops!), Great Gray Owl,
                Long-eared Owl, Northern Saw-whet Owl

                If you find any errors or omissions in the following list, please let me
                know so I can correct them as necessary.

                Best of Birding,

                Ryan Dudragne
                Saskatoon, SK

                2007 Saskatchewan Year List

                1. Greater White-fronted Goose (Mar. 25)
                2. Snow Goose (Mar. 23)
                3. Cackling Goose (Mar 14)
                4. Canada Goose (Jan. 11)
                5. Tundra Swan (Mar. 22)
                6. Gadwall (Jan. 21)
                7. American Wigeon (Mar. 18)
                8. Mallard (Jan. 01)
                9. Blue-winged Teal (Mar. 20)
                10. Northern Shoveler (Apr. 02)
                11. Northern Pintail (Jan. 04)
                12. Green-winged Teal (Jan. 04)
                13. Canvasback (Feb. 16)
                14. Redhead (Mar. 10)
                15. Ring-necked Duck (Jan. 04)
                16. Greater Scaup (Feb. 16)
                17. Lesser Scaup (Apr. 03)
                18. Bufflehead (Jan. 04)
                19. Common Goldeneye (Jan. 01)
                20. Common Merganser (Jan. 01)
                21. Gray Partridge (Jan. 01)
                22. Ring-necked Pheasant (Jan. 01)
                23. Ruffed Grouse (Jan. 01)
                24. Spruce Grouse (Jan. 01)
                25. Willow Ptarmigan (Jan. 02)
                26. Sharp-tailed Grouse (Jan. 01)
                27. American White Pelican (Apr. 04)
                28. Great Blue Heron (Feb. 25)(----)
                29. Turkey Vulture (Mar. 25)
                30. Bald Eagle (Jan. 01)
                31. Northern Harrier (Jan. 09)
                32. Sharp-shinned Hawk (Jan. 02)
                33. Northern Goshawk (Jan. 01)
                34. Swainson's Hawk (Mar. 25)
                35. Red-tailed Hawk (Jan. 03)
                36. Ferruginous Hawk (Feb. 26)
                37. Rough-legged Hawk (Feb. 26)
                38. Golden Eagle (Jan. 01)
                39. American Kestrel (Jan. 15)
                40. Merlin (Jan. 01)
                41. Gyrfalcon (Jan. 01)
                42. Prairie Falcon (Jan. 28)
                43. American Coot (Jan. 04)
                44. Sandhill Crane (Mar. 25)
                45. Killdeer (Mar. 17)
                46. Franklin's Gull (Mar. 24)
                47. Ring-billed Gull (Mar. 17)
                48. California Gull (Mar. 17)
                49. Herring Gull (Mar. 20)
                50. Glaucous Gull (Mar. 10)
                51. Rock Pigeon (Jan. 01)
                52. Eurasian Collared Dove (Jan. 01)
                53. Mourning Dove (Jan. 01)(Mar. 28)
                54. Great Horned Owl (Jan. 01)
                55. Snowy Owl (Jan. 01)
                56. Northern Hawk Owl (Jan. 01)
                57. Barred Owl (Feb. 21)
                58. Great Gray Owl (Mar. 31)
                59. Long-eared Owl (rep. Mar. 25)
                60. Short-eared Owl (Jan. 01)
                61. Boreal Owl (Jan. 20)
                62. Northern Saw-whet Owl (Mar. 31)
                63. Downy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                64. Hairy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                65. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Jan. 07)
                66. Black-backed Woodpecker (Feb. 18)
                67. Northern Flicker (Jan. 01)
                68. Pileated Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                69. Northern Shrike (Jan. 01)
                70. Gray Jay (Jan. 01)
                71. Blue Jay (Jan. 01)
                72. Black-billed Magpie (Jan. 01)
                73. American Crow (Jan. 01)
                74. Common Raven (Jan. 01)
                75. Horned Lark (Jan. 01)
                76. Black-capped Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                77. Boreal Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                78. Red-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                79. White-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                80. Brown Creeper (Jan. 01)
                81. Golden-crowned Kinglet (Jan. 01)
                82. Mountain Bluebird (Mar. 10)
                83. Townsend's Solitaire (Jan. 05)
                84. Hermit Thrush (Jan. 01)
                85. American Robin (Jan. 02)
                86. Varied Thrush (pre Jan. 20)
                87. Brown Thrasher (2006/Jan.)
                88. European Starling (Jan. 01)
                89. Bohemian Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                90. Cedar Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                91. American Tree Sparrow (Mar. 11)
                92. Chipping Sparrow (Mar. 18)
                93. Song Sparrow (Jan. 01)
                94. White-throated Sparrow (Jan. 02)
                95. Harris's Sparrow (Jan. 04)
                96. White-crowned Sparrow (early Jan.)
                97. Dark-eyed Junco (Jan. 01)
                98. Lapland Longspur (Jan. 01)
                99. Snow Bunting (Jan. 01)
                100. Northern Cardinal (early Jan.) continued from 2005; Lumsden
                101. Red-winged Blackbird (Jan. 28)
                102. Western Meadowlark (early Jan.)(Mar. 10)
                103. Rusty Blackbird (Jan. 02)
                104. Brewer's Blackbird (Feb. 19)
                105. Common Grackle (Jan. 07)
                106. Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Jan. 01)
                107. Pine Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                108. Purple Finch (Jan. 04)
                109. House Finch (Jan. 01)
                110. Red Crossbill (Jan. 02)
                111. White-winged Crossbill (Jan. 01)
                112. Common Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                113. Hoary Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                114. Pine Siskin (Feb. 16)
                115. American Goldfinch (Jan. 01)
                116. Evening Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                117. House Sparrow (Jan. 01)

              • Ryan Dudragne
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
                  Good Morning All,

                  While an update was not due until next week, with the flood of new
                  reports coming in, there are just too many newbies to wait! With 22 new
                  birds since the last update on Apr. 05, our new running total is at 139
                  species.

                  The highlight this time around is the recent Iceland Gull at the QEII
                  Power Station in Saskatoon, first reported last night by Robert
                  Johanson. Hopefully it sticks around for a little while more!

                  New to the list (22): Ross' Goose, Trumpeter Swan, Wood Duck, Hooded
                  Merganser, Red-breasted Merganser, Ruddy Duck, Common Loon, Pied-billed
                  Grebe, Horned Grebe, Red-necked Grebe, Western Grebe, Double-crested
                  Cormorant, Peregrine Falcon, Whooping Crane, American Avocet, Greater
                  Yellowlegs, Marbled Godwit, Short-billed Dowitcher, Iceland Gull,
                  Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, McCown's Longspur

                  Best of Birding,

                  Ryan Dudragne
                  Saskatoon, SK

                  2007 Saskatchewan Year List

                  1. Greater White-fronted Goose (Mar. 25)
                  2. Snow Goose (Mar. 23)
                  3. Ross' Goose (Apr. 15)
                  4. Cackling Goose (Mar 14)
                  5. Canada Goose (Jan. 11)
                  6. Trumpeter Swan (Apr. 16)
                  7. Tundra Swan (Mar. 22)
                  8. Wood Duck (Apr. 17)
                  9. Gadwall (Jan. 21)(Apr. 15)
                  10. American Wigeon (Mar. 18)
                  11. Mallard (Jan. 01)
                  12. Blue-winged Teal (Mar. 20)
                  13. Northern Shoveler (Apr. 02)
                  14. Northern Pintail (Jan. 04)
                  15. Green-winged Teal (Jan. 04)
                  16. Canvasback (Feb. 16)
                  17. Redhead (Mar. 10)
                  18. Ring-necked Duck (Jan. 04)
                  19. Greater Scaup (Feb. 16)
                  20. Lesser Scaup (Apr. 03)
                  21. Bufflehead (Jan. 04)
                  22. Common Goldeneye (Jan. 01)
                  23. Hooded Merganser (Apr. 12)
                  24. Common Merganser (Jan. 01)
                  25. Red-breasted Merganser (Apr. 14)
                  26. Ruddy Duck (Apr. 15)
                  27. Gray Partridge (Jan. 01)
                  28. Ring-necked Pheasant (Jan. 01)
                  29. Ruffed Grouse (Jan. 01)
                  30. Spruce Grouse (Jan. 01)
                  31. Willow Ptarmigan (Jan. 02)
                  32. Sharp-tailed Grouse (Jan. 01)
                  33. Common Loon (Apr. 16)
                  34. Pied-billed Grebe (Apr. 18)
                  35. Horned Grebe (Apr. 13)
                  36. Red-necked Grebe (Apr. 16)
                  37. Western Grebe (Apr. 18)
                  38. American White Pelican (Apr. 04)
                  39. Double-crested Cormorant (Apr. 09)
                  40. Great Blue Heron (Feb. 25)(Apr. 06)
                  41. Turkey Vulture (Mar. 25)
                  42. Bald Eagle (Jan. 01)
                  43. Northern Harrier (Jan. 09)
                  44. Sharp-shinned Hawk (Jan. 02)
                  45. Northern Goshawk (Jan. 01)
                  46. Swainson's Hawk (Mar. 25)
                  47. Red-tailed Hawk (Jan. 03)
                  48. Ferruginous Hawk (Feb. 26)
                  49. Rough-legged Hawk (Feb. 26)
                  50. Golden Eagle (Jan. 01)
                  51. American Kestrel (Jan. 15)
                  52. Merlin (Jan. 01)
                  53. Gyrfalcon (Jan. 01)
                  54. Peregrine Falcon (Apr. 15)
                  55. Prairie Falcon (Jan. 28)
                  56. American Coot (Jan. 04)
                  57. Sandhill Crane (Mar. 25)
                  58. Whooping Crane (Apr. 18)
                  59. Killdeer (Mar. 17)
                  60. American Avocet (Apr. 06)
                  61. Greater Yellowlegs (Apr. 12)
                  62. Marbled Godwit (Apr. 17)
                  63. Short-billed Dowitcher (Apr. 18)
                  64. Franklin's Gull (Mar. 24)
                  65. Ring-billed Gull (Mar. 17)
                  66. California Gull (Mar. 17)
                  67. Herring Gull (Mar. 20)
                  68. Iceland Gull - 18 April 2007 - Saskatoon
                  69. Glaucous Gull (Mar. 10)
                  70. Rock Pigeon (Jan. 01)
                  71. Eurasian Collared Dove (Jan. 01)
                  72. Mourning Dove (Jan. 01)(Mar. 28)
                  73. Great Horned Owl (Jan. 01)
                  74. Snowy Owl (Jan. 01)
                  75. Northern Hawk Owl (Jan. 01)
                  76. Barred Owl (Feb. 21)
                  77. Great Gray Owl (Mar. 31)
                  78. Long-eared Owl (rep. Mar. 25)
                  79. Short-eared Owl (Jan. 01)
                  80. Boreal Owl (Jan. 20)
                  81. Northern Saw-whet Owl (Mar. 31)
                  82. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Apr. 18)
                  83. Downy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                  84. Hairy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                  85. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Jan. 07)
                  86. Black-backed Woodpecker (Feb. 18)
                  87. Northern Flicker (Jan. 01)
                  88. Pileated Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                  89. Northern Shrike (Jan. 01)
                  90. Gray Jay (Jan. 01)
                  91. Blue Jay (Jan. 01)
                  92. Black-billed Magpie (Jan. 01)
                  93. American Crow (Jan. 01)
                  94. Common Raven (Jan. 01)
                  95. Horned Lark (Jan. 01)
                  96. Black-capped Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                  97. Boreal Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                  98. Red-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                  99. White-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                  100. Brown Creeper (Jan. 01)
                  101. Golden-crowned Kinglet (Jan. 01)
                  102. Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Apr. 18)
                  103. Mountain Bluebird (Mar. 10)
                  104. Townsend's Solitaire (Jan. 05)
                  105. Hermit Thrush (Jan. 01)
                  106. American Robin (Jan. 02)
                  107. Varied Thrush (pre Jan. 20)
                  108. Brown Thrasher (2006/Jan.)
                  109. European Starling (Jan. 01)
                  110. Bohemian Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                  111. Cedar Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                  112. American Tree Sparrow (Mar. 11)
                  113. Chipping Sparrow (Mar. 18)
                  114. Song Sparrow (Jan. 01)
                  115. White-throated Sparrow (Jan. 02)(Apr. 17)
                  116. Harris's Sparrow (Jan. 04)
                  117. White-crowned Sparrow (early Jan.)(Apr. 18)
                  118. Dark-eyed Junco (Jan. 01)
                  119. McCown's Longspur (Apr. 16)
                  120. Lapland Longspur (Jan. 01)
                  121. Snow Bunting (Jan. 01)
                  122. Northern Cardinal (early Jan.) cont'd from Lumsden 2005
                  123. Red-winged Blackbird (Jan. 28)
                  124. Western Meadowlark (early Jan.)(Mar. 10)
                  125. Rusty Blackbird (Jan. 02)
                  126. Brewer's Blackbird (Feb. 19)
                  127. Common Grackle (Jan. 07)
                  128. Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Jan. 01)
                  129. Pine Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                  130. Purple Finch (Jan. 04)
                  131. House Finch (Jan. 01)
                  132. Red Crossbill (Jan. 02)
                  133. White-winged Crossbill (Jan. 01)
                  134. Common Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                  135. Hoary Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                  136. Pine Siskin (Feb. 16)
                  137. American Goldfinch (Jan. 01)
                  138. Evening Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                  139. House Sparrow (Jan. 01)

                • Bailey and Bjorklund
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
                    I see that one Ryan Dudragne is quoted in an article by Blake Maybank in
                    "Winging-It," the newsletter of the American Birding Association.
                  • Ryan Dudragne
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 1, 2007
                      Good Evening All,

                      Twelve short days have elapsed since my previous update, and with no
                      time between exams and other more serious matters to deal with before an
                      intervening update could be drafted up, the list has now swelled to 184
                      species with a whopping 45 new ones to add since Apr. 19! This includes
                      a March 29th Cooper's Hawk that somehow escaped my fingers last time.

                      ****
                      I really enjoy keeping this list up to date (as best I can!) for all of
                      you Saskbirders, but I must say farewell at least for now. As of next
                      week my summer job is taking me to the wilds of Alberta until August,
                      and this will preclude me from maintaining the Saskatchewan list for a
                      number of reasons while I am there.

                      However, Greg Kr├Ątzig has graciously agreed to take over the reigns
                      until I return in August, so hopefully I'll have a few stories to tell
                      and pictures to share when I return! As well, I will be at Last
                      Mountain Lake for a couple of weeks in May so hopefully I will find some
                      great birds.
                      ****

                      New to the list (45): Cinnamon Teal, Eared Grebe, Clark's Grebe,
                      American Bittern, Great Egret, Black-crowned Night-Heron, White-faced
                      Ibis, Osprey, Cooper's Hawk (oops!), Semipalmated Plover, Piping Plover,
                      Black-necked Stilt, Lesser Yellowlegs, Willet, Long-billed Curlew,
                      Wilson's Snipe, Wilson's Phalarope, Bonaparte's Gull, Common Tern,
                      Forster's Tern, Black Tern, Burrowing Owl, Belted Kingfisher, Western
                      Wood-Pewee Eastern Phoebe, Purple Martin, Tree Swallow, Bank Swallow,
                      Barn Swallow, Sprague's Pipit, Orange-crowned Warbler, Yellow-rumped
                      Warbler, Spotted Towhee, Brewer's Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow, Lark Bunting,
                      Savannah Sparrow, Le Conte's Sparrow, Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow, Fox
                      Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow, Chestnut-collared Longspur, Painted
                      Bunting**, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Brown-headed Cowbird

                      Also, please let me know if you find any errors or omissions in the
                      following list and I will deal with them as soon as I can.

                      Best of Birding,

                      Ryan Dudragne
                      Saskatoon, SK

                      2007 Saskatchewan Year List

                      1. Greater White-fronted Goose (Mar. 25)
                      2. Snow Goose (Mar. 23)
                      3. Ross' Goose (Apr. 15)
                      4. Cackling Goose (Mar 14)
                      5. Canada Goose (Jan. 11)
                      6. Trumpeter Swan (Apr. 16)
                      7. Tundra Swan (Mar. 22)
                      8. Wood Duck (Apr. 17)
                      9. Gadwall (Jan. 21)(Apr. 15)
                      10. American Wigeon (Mar. 18)
                      11. Mallard (Jan. 01)
                      12. Blue-winged Teal (Mar. 20)
                      13. Cinnamon Teal (Apr. 29)
                      14. Northern Shoveler (Apr. 02)
                      15. Northern Pintail (Jan. 04)
                      16. Green-winged Teal (Jan. 04)
                      17. Canvasback (Feb. 16)
                      18. Redhead (Mar. 10)
                      19. Ring-necked Duck (Jan. 04)
                      20. Greater Scaup (Feb. 16)
                      21. Lesser Scaup (Apr. 03)
                      22. Bufflehead (Jan. 04)
                      23. Common Goldeneye (Jan. 01)
                      24. Hooded Merganser (Apr. 12)
                      25. Common Merganser (Jan. 01)
                      26. Red-breasted Merganser (Apr. 14)
                      27. Ruddy Duck (Apr. 15)
                      28. Gray Partridge (Jan. 01)
                      29. Ring-necked Pheasant (Jan. 01)
                      30. Ruffed Grouse (Jan. 01)
                      31. Spruce Grouse (Jan. 01)
                      32. Willow Ptarmigan (Jan. 02)
                      33. Sharp-tailed Grouse (Jan. 01)
                      34. Common Loon (Apr. 16)
                      35. Pied-billed Grebe (Apr. 18)
                      36. Horned Grebe (Apr. 13)
                      37. Red-necked Grebe (Apr. 16)
                      38. Eared Grebe (Apr. 24)
                      39. Western Grebe (Apr. 18)
                      40. Clark's Grebe (Apr. 24)
                      41. American White Pelican (Apr. 04)
                      42. Double-crested Cormorant (Apr. 09)
                      43. American Bittern (Apr. 26)
                      44. Great Blue Heron (Feb. 25)(Apr. 06)
                      45. Great Egret (Apr. 24)
                      46. Black-crowned Night-Heron (Apr. 27)
                      47. White-faced Ibis (Apr. 22)
                      48. Turkey Vulture (Mar. 25)
                      49. Osprey (Apr. 22)
                      50. Bald Eagle (Jan. 01)
                      51. Northern Harrier (Jan. 09)
                      52. Sharp-shinned Hawk (Jan. 02)
                      53. Cooper's Hawk (Mar. 29)
                      54. Northern Goshawk (Jan. 01)
                      55. Swainson's Hawk (Mar. 25)
                      56. Red-tailed Hawk (Jan. 03)
                      57. Ferruginous Hawk (Feb. 26)
                      58. Rough-legged Hawk (Feb. 26)
                      59. Golden Eagle (Jan. 01)
                      60. American Kestrel (Jan. 15)
                      61. Merlin (Jan. 01)
                      62. Gyrfalcon (Jan. 01)
                      63. Peregrine Falcon (Apr. 15)
                      64. Prairie Falcon (Jan. 28)
                      65. American Coot (Jan. 04)
                      66. Sandhill Crane (Mar. 25)
                      67. Whooping Crane (Apr. 18)
                      68. Semipalmated Plover (Apr. 26)
                      69. Piping Plover (Apr. 26)
                      70. Killdeer (Mar. 17)
                      71. Black-necked Stilt (May 01)
                      72. American Avocet (Apr. 06)
                      73. Greater Yellowlegs (Apr. 12)
                      74. Lesser Yellowlegs (Apr. 21)
                      75. Willet (Apr. 20)
                      76. Long-billed Curlew (Apr. 20)
                      77. Marbled Godwit (Apr. 17)
                      78. Short-billed Dowitcher (Apr. 18)
                      79. Wilson's Snipe (Apr. 21)
                      80. Wilson's Phalarope (Apr. 21)
                      81. Franklin's Gull (Mar. 24)
                      82. Bonaparte's Gull (Apr. 24)
                      83. Ring-billed Gull (Mar. 17)
                      84. California Gull (Mar. 17)
                      85. Herring Gull (Mar. 20)
                      86. Iceland Gull - 18 April 2007 - Saskatoon
                      87. Glaucous Gull (Mar. 10)
                      88. Common Tern (Apr. 24)
                      89. Forster's Tern (Apr. 24)
                      90. Black Tern (Apr. 29)
                      91. Rock Pigeon (Jan. 01)
                      92. Eurasian Collared Dove (Jan. 01)
                      93. Mourning Dove (Jan. 01)(Mar. 28)
                      94. Great Horned Owl (Jan. 01)
                      95. Snowy Owl (Jan. 01)
                      96. Northern Hawk Owl (Jan. 01)
                      97. Burrowing Owl (Apr. 22)
                      98. Barred Owl (Feb. 21)
                      99. Great Gray Owl (Mar. 31)
                      100. Long-eared Owl (rep. Mar. 25)
                      101. Short-eared Owl (Jan. 01)
                      102. Boreal Owl (Jan. 20)
                      103. Northern Saw-whet Owl (Mar. 31)
                      104. Belted Kingfisher (Apr. 19)
                      105. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Apr. 18)
                      106. Downy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                      107. Hairy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                      108. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Jan. 07)
                      109. Black-backed Woodpecker (Feb. 18)
                      110. Northern Flicker (Jan. 01)
                      111. Pileated Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                      112. Western Wood-Pewee (Apr. 21)
                      113. Eastern Phoebe (Apr. 21)
                      114. Northern Shrike (Jan. 01)
                      115. Gray Jay (Jan. 01)
                      116. Blue Jay (Jan. 01)
                      117. Black-billed Magpie (Jan. 01)
                      118. American Crow (Jan. 01)
                      119. Common Raven (Jan. 01)
                      120. Horned Lark (Jan. 01)
                      121. Purple Martin (Apr. 22)
                      122. Tree Swallow (Apr. 21)
                      123. Bank Swallow (Apr. 24)
                      124. Barn Swallow (Apr. 24)
                      125. Black-capped Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                      126. Boreal Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                      127. Red-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                      128. White-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                      129. Brown Creeper (Jan. 01)
                      130. Golden-crowned Kinglet (Jan. 01)
                      131. Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Apr. 18)
                      132. Mountain Bluebird (Mar. 10)
                      133. Townsend's Solitaire (Jan. 05)
                      134. Hermit Thrush (Jan. 01)(Apr. 24)
                      135. American Robin (Jan. 02)
                      136. Varied Thrush (pre Jan. 20)
                      137. Brown Thrasher (2006/Jan.)
                      138. European Starling (Jan. 01)
                      139. Sprague's Pipit (Apr. 21)
                      140. Bohemian Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                      141. Cedar Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                      142. Orange-crowned Warbler (Apr. 27)
                      143. Yellow-rumped Warbler (Apr. 20)
                      144. Spotted Towhee (Apr. 30)
                      145. American Tree Sparrow (Mar. 11)
                      146. Chipping Sparrow (Mar. 18)
                      147. Brewer's Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                      148. Vesper Sparrow (Apr. 21)
                      149. Lark Bunting (Apr. 26)
                      150. Savannah Sparrow (Apr. 21)
                      151. Le Conte's Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                      152. Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                      153. Fox Sparrow (Apr. 20)
                      154. Song Sparrow (Jan. 01)
                      155. Lincoln's Sparrow (Apr. 24)
                      156. White-throated Sparrow (Jan. 02)(Apr. 17)
                      157. Harris's Sparrow (Jan. 04)(May 01)
                      158. White-crowned Sparrow (early Jan.)(Apr. 18)
                      159. Dark-eyed Junco (Jan. 01)
                      160. McCown's Longspur (Apr. 16)
                      161. Lapland Longspur (Jan. 01)
                      162. Chestnut-collared Longspur (Apr. 21)
                      163. Snow Bunting (Jan. 01)
                      164. Northern Cardinal (early Jan.) cont'd from 2005; Lumsden
                      165. Painted Bunting - 21 Apr. 2007 - RM of Aberdeen (N of Blucher)
                      166. Red-winged Blackbird (Jan. 28)
                      167. Western Meadowlark (early Jan.)(Mar. 10)
                      168. Yellow-headed Blackbird (Apr. 20)
                      169. Rusty Blackbird (Jan. 02)
                      170. Brewer's Blackbird (Feb. 19)
                      171. Common Grackle (Jan. 07)
                      172. Brown-headed Cowbird (Apr. 20)
                      173. Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Jan. 01)
                      174. Pine Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                      175. Purple Finch (Jan. 04)
                      176. House Finch (Jan. 01)
                      177. Red Crossbill (Jan. 02)
                      178. White-winged Crossbill (Jan. 01)
                      179. Common Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                      180. Hoary Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                      181. Pine Siskin (Feb. 16)
                      182. American Goldfinch (Jan. 01)
                      183. Evening Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                      184. House Sparrow (Jan. 01)

                    • Kathy Hedegard
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 2, 2007
                        Thanks, Ryan. Good luck in the summer work.

                        Kathy in Estevan

                      • Ryan Dudragne
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 6, 2007
                          Good Evening All,

                          Well, I guess one more update wouldn't hurt before passing the list on
                          to Greg. Thanks to recent reports (17 in total) we have reached the
                          milestone 200 species. Also, I have included the EUROPEAN GOLDFINCH in
                          the list, but not in the numbered tally, as per the feedback received on
                          this exciting find.

                          New to the list (17): Black-bellied Plover, Solitary Sandpiper, Spotted
                          Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Long-billed Dowitcher, Least Flycatcher,
                          Western Kingbird, Loggerhead Shrike, Marsh Wren, Swainson's Thrush,
                          Brown Thrasher, Black-throated Green Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak,
                          Clay-coloured Sparrow, Baird's Sparrow, Smith's Longspur, Baltimore
                          Oriole, (European Goldfinch)

                          If you have any questions or comments, or find any errors or omissions,
                          please let Greg know.

                          Best of Birding,

                          Ryan Dudragne
                          Saskatoon, SK

                          2007 Saskatchewan Year List (As of May 06)

[...]
                          68. Black-bellied Plover (May 04)
                          69. Semipalmated Plover (Apr. 26)
                          70. Piping Plover (Apr. 26)
                          71. Killdeer (Mar. 17)
                          72. Black-necked Stilt (May 01)
                          73. American Avocet (Apr. 06)
                          74. Greater Yellowlegs (Apr. 12)
                          75. Lesser Yellowlegs (Apr. 21)
                          76. Solitary Sandpiper (May 03)
                          77. Willet (Apr. 20)
                          78. Spotted Sandpiper (May 03)
                          79. Long-billed Curlew (Apr. 20)
                          80. Marbled Godwit (Apr. 17)
                          81. Pectoral Sandpiper (May 05)
                          82. Short-billed Dowitcher (Apr. 18)
                          83. Long-billed Dowitcher (May 05)
                          84. Wilson's Snipe (Apr. 21)
                          85. Wilson's Phalarope (Apr. 21)
                          86. Franklin's Gull (Mar. 24)
                          87. Bonaparte's Gull (Apr. 24)
                          88. Ring-billed Gull (Mar. 17)
                          89. California Gull (Mar. 17)
                          90. Herring Gull (Mar. 20)
                          91. Iceland Gull - 18 April 2007 - Saskatoon
                          92. Glaucous Gull (Mar. 10)
                          93. Common Tern (Apr. 24)
                          94. Forster's Tern (Apr. 24)
                          95. Black Tern (Apr. 29)
                          96. Rock Pigeon (Jan. 01)
                          97. Eurasian Collared Dove (Jan. 01)
                          98. Mourning Dove (Jan. 01)(Mar. 28)
                          99. Great Horned Owl (Jan. 01)
                          100. Snowy Owl (Jan. 01)
                          101. Northern Hawk Owl (Jan. 01)
                          102. Burrowing Owl (Apr. 22)
                          103. Barred Owl (Feb. 21)
                          104. Great Gray Owl (Mar. 31)
                          105. Long-eared Owl (rep. Mar. 25)
                          106. Short-eared Owl (Jan. 01)
                          107. Boreal Owl (Jan. 20)
                          108. Northern Saw-whet Owl (Mar. 31)
                          109. Belted Kingfisher (Apr. 19)
                          110. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Apr. 18)
                          111. Downy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                          112. Hairy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                          113. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Jan. 07)
                          114. Black-backed Woodpecker (Feb. 18)
                          115. Northern Flicker (Jan. 01)
                          116. Pileated Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                          117. Western Wood-Pewee (Apr. 21)
                          118. Least Flycatcher (May 05)
                          119. Eastern Phoebe (Apr. 21)
                          120. Western Kingbird (Apr. 30)
                          121. Loggerhead Shrike (May 05)
                          122. Northern Shrike (Jan. 01)
                          123. Gray Jay (Jan. 01)
                          124. Blue Jay (Jan. 01)
                          125. Black-billed Magpie (Jan. 01)
                          126. American Crow (Jan. 01)
                          127. Common Raven (Jan. 01)
                          128. Horned Lark (Jan. 01)
                          129. Purple Martin (Apr. 22)
                          130. Tree Swallow (Apr. 21)
                          131. Bank Swallow (Apr. 24)
                          132. Barn Swallow (Apr. 24)
                          133. Black-capped Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                          134. Boreal Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                          135. Red-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                          136. White-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                          137. Brown Creeper (Jan. 01)
                          138. Marsh Wren (May 04)
                          139. Golden-crowned Kinglet (Jan. 01)
                          140. Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Apr. 18)
                          141. Mountain Bluebird (Mar. 10)
                          142. Townsend's Solitaire (Jan. 05)
                          143. Swainson's Thrush (May 05)
                          144. Hermit Thrush (Jan. 01)(Apr. 24)
                          145. American Robin (Jan. 02)
                          146. Varied Thrush (pre Jan. 20)
                          147. Brown Thrasher (2006/Jan.)(May 04)
                          148. European Starling (Jan. 01)
                          149. Sprague's Pipit (Apr. 21)
                          150. Bohemian Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                          151. Cedar Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                          152. Orange-crowned Warbler (Apr. 27)
                          153. Yellow-rumped Warbler (Apr. 20)
                          154. Black-throated Green Warbler (May 04)
                          155. Spotted Towhee (Apr. 30)
                          156. American Tree Sparrow (Mar. 11)
                          157. Chipping Sparrow (Mar. 18)
                          158. Clay-coloured Sparrow (May 04)
                          159. Brewer's Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                          160. Vesper Sparrow (Apr. 21)
                          161. Lark Bunting (Apr. 26)
                          162. Savannah Sparrow (Apr. 21)
                          163. Baird's Sparrow (May 05)
                          164. Le Conte's Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                          165. Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                          166. Fox Sparrow (Apr. 20)
                          167. Song Sparrow (Jan. 01)
                          168. Lincoln's Sparrow (Apr. 24)
                          169. White-throated Sparrow (Jan. 02)(Apr. 17)
                          170. Harris's Sparrow (Jan. 04)(May 01)
                          171. White-crowned Sparrow (early Jan.)(Apr. 18)
                          172. Dark-eyed Junco (Jan. 01)
                          173. McCown's Longspur (Apr. 16)
                          174. Lapland Longspur (Jan. 01)
                          175. Smith's Longspur (May 05)
                          176. Chestnut-collared Longspur (Apr. 21)
                          177. Snow Bunting (Jan. 01)
                          178. Northern Cardinal (early Jan.) cont'd from 2005; Lumsden
                          179. Rose-breasted Grosbeak (May 06)
                          180. Painted Bunting - 21 Apr. 2007 - N of Blucher
                          181. Red-winged Blackbird (Jan. 28)
                          182. Western Meadowlark (early Jan.)(Mar. 10)
                          183. Yellow-headed Blackbird (Apr. 20)
                          184. Rusty Blackbird (Jan. 02)
                          185. Brewer's Blackbird (Feb. 19)
                          186. Common Grackle (Jan. 07)
                          187. Brown-headed Cowbird (Apr. 20)
                          188. Baltimore Oriole (May 06)
                          189. Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Jan. 01)
                          190. Pine Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                          191. Purple Finch (Jan. 04)
                          192. House Finch (Jan. 01)
                          193. Red Crossbill (Jan. 02)
                          194. White-winged Crossbill (Jan. 01)
                          195. Common Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                          196. Hoary Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                          197. Pine Siskin (Feb. 16)
                          198. American Goldfinch (Jan. 01)

                          (European Goldfinch - 01 May 2007 - Ituna)

                          199. Evening Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                          200. House Sparrow (Jan. 01)

                        • Bailey and Bjorklund
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 7, 2007
                            > Well, I guess one more update wouldn't hurt before passing the list on
                            > to Greg. Thanks to recent reports (17 in total) we have reached the
                            > milestone 200 species. Also, I have included the EUROPEAN GOLDFINCH in
                            > the list, but not in the numbered tally, as per the feedback received on
                            > this exciting find.

                            If the European Goldfinch does eventually establish itself in SK, it will be
                            on record when it was first positively identified as appearing here via the
                            feedback on Saskbirds.

                            Martin
                          • Ryan Dudragne
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 23, 2007
                              Hey Greg,

                              I have a couple more birds to add to the year list from the Last
                              Mountain Lake area, as well as a couple of slightly earlier first dates
                              (only the feathered kind though!!):

                              Cattle Egret - May 14
                              Baird's Sandpiper - May 13
                              Red-necked Phalarope - May 13
                              Red-eyed Vireo - May 15
                              Bobolink - May 13
                              *Orchard Oriole (lifer!) - May 21 There was one pair at LM Regional
                              Park for at least the second year in a row.

                              Also, I unfortunately did not see these myself, but reported (and chased
                              unsuccessfully by yours truly) this week included:

                              Ruddy Turnstone - May 18
                              *Black-throated Blue Warbler* - May 16
                              Whimbrel - May 21 (Stalwart)
                              Dunlin - May 21 (Stalwart)

                              I am home in Swift Current for the night before heading to Alberta
                              tomorrow morning. Where I will be there are (or were a week ago)
                              Eurasian Wigeon and Cinnamon Teal, as well as a pair of Black-necked
                              Stilt, so we'll see what I see. If I have time later tonight I will
                              update you with some of my most recent birding adventures.

                              Cheers All,

                              Ryan Dudragne
                              Swift Current, SK

                            • Ryan Dudragne
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 7, 2007
                                Good Evening All,

                                As the fall passerine migration comes to a peak, I think it is time for
                                another update to the list. We have only two species to add this time,
                                but they are good birds, bringing the list up to 298 species (4 more
                                than this time last year).

                                The first is a Chimney Swift that happened to wander a little west of
                                its range on southbound migration after heavy winds blew from the east
                                through Swift Current early on August 18.

                                The second bird is the recent Band-tailed Pigeon reported being in
                                Kindersley since September 03 and confirmed with a photograph by Myrna
                                Priebe in Hodgeville. As far as I know, this bird represents the
                                thirteenth provincial record since the first bird at Rosetown in August
                                1970 (Smith's "Atlas of Saskatchewan Birds", 1996); the second most
                                recent record was of a bird at Delisle in 1996 ("Birds of Saskatoon",
                                2002) and I know of no others since then.

                                Also, I have updated the date of the first Cattle Egret report of the
                                year to April 29 at Last Mountain Lake (fide Ross Dickson).

                                If you find any errors or omissions in the following list, please let me
                                know so they can be corrected.

[...]

                                22. White-winged Scoter (May 07)
                                23. Bufflehead (Jan. 04)
                                24. Common Goldeneye (Jan. 01)
                                25. Hooded Merganser (Apr. 12)
                                26. Common Merganser (Jan. 01)
                                27. Red-breasted Merganser (Apr. 14)
                                28. Ruddy Duck (Apr. 15)
                                29. Gray Partridge (Jan. 01)
                                30. Ring-necked Pheasant (Jan. 01)
                                31. Ruffed Grouse (Jan. 01)
                                32. Greater Sage-Grouse (July 01)
                                33. Spruce Grouse (Jan. 01)
                                34. Willow Ptarmigan (Jan. 02)
                                35. Sharp-tailed Grouse (Jan. 01)
                                36. Wild Turkey (May 07)
                                37. Red-throated Loon - (26) June 2007 - Rafferty Dam, Estevan
                                38. Common Loon (Apr. 16)
                                39. Pied-billed Grebe (Apr. 18)
                                40. Horned Grebe (Apr. 13)
                                41. Red-necked Grebe (Apr. 16)
                                42. Eared Grebe (Apr. 24)
                                43. Western Grebe (Apr. 18)
                                44. Clark's Grebe (Apr. 24)
                                45. American White Pelican (Apr. 04)
                                46. Double-crested Cormorant (Apr. 09)
                                47. American Bittern (Apr. 26)
                                48. Great Blue Heron (Feb. 25)(Apr. 06)
                                49. Great Egret (Apr. 24)
                                50. Cattle Egret (Apr. 29)
                                51. Black-crowned Night-Heron (Apr. 27)
                                52. Green Heron - 03 June 2007 - Belle Plaine
                                53. White-faced Ibis (Apr. 22)
                                54. Turkey Vulture (Mar. 25)
                                55. Osprey (Apr. 22)
                                56. Bald Eagle (Jan. 01)
                                57. Northern Harrier (Jan. 09)
                                58. Sharp-shinned Hawk (Jan. 02)
                                59. Cooper's Hawk (Mar. 29)
                                60. Northern Goshawk (Jan. 01)
                                61. Broad-winged Hawk (May 23)
                                62. Swainson's Hawk (Mar. 25)
                                63. Red-tailed Hawk (Jan. 03)
                                64. Ferruginous Hawk (Feb. 26)
                                65. Rough-legged Hawk (Feb. 26)
                                66. Golden Eagle (Jan. 01)
                                67. American Kestrel (Jan. 15)
                                68. Merlin (Jan. 01)
                                69. Gyrfalcon (Jan. 01)
                                70. Peregrine Falcon (Apr. 15)
                                71. Prairie Falcon (Jan. 28)
                                72. Yellow Rail (June 23)
                                73. Virginia Rail (June 10)
                                74. Sora (May 11)
                                75. American Coot (Jan. 04)
                                76. Sandhill Crane (Mar. 25)
                                77. Whooping Crane (Apr. 18)
                                78. Black-bellied Plover (May 04)
                                79. American Golden-Plover (May 07)
                                80. Semipalmated Plover (Apr. 26)
                                81. Piping Plover (Apr. 26)
                                82. Snowy Plover - 26 July 2007 - Chaplin Lake
                                83. Killdeer (Mar. 17)
                                84. Black-necked Stilt (May 01)
                                85. American Avocet (Apr. 06)
                                86. Greater Yellowlegs (Apr. 12)
                                87. Lesser Yellowlegs (Apr. 21)
                                88. Solitary Sandpiper (May 03)
                                89. Willet (Apr. 20)
                                90. Spotted Sandpiper (May 03)
                                91. Upland Sandpiper (May 07)
                                92. Long-billed Curlew (Apr. 20)
                                93. Hudsonian Godwit (Apr. 06-09)
                                94. Marbled Godwit (Apr. 17)
                                95. Whimbrel (May 21)
                                96. Ruddy Turnstone (May 21)
                                97. Red Knot (May 24)
                                98. Sanderling (May 10)
                                99. Semipalmated Sandpiper (May 13)
                                100. Least Sandpiper (May 09)
                                101. White-rumped Sandpiper (May 07)
                                102. Baird's Sandpiper (May 13)
                                103. Pectoral Sandpiper (May 05)
                                104. Dunlin (May 21)
                                105. Stilt Sandpiper (May 13)
                                106. Buff-breasted Sandpiper (May ??)
                                107. Short-billed Dowitcher (Apr. 18)
                                108. Long-billed Dowitcher (May 05)
                                109. Wilson's Snipe (Apr. 21)
                                110. Wilson's Phalarope (Apr. 21)
                                111. Red-necked Phalarope (May 13)
                                112. Long-tailed Jaeger - 19 June 2007 - Candle Lake
                                113. Franklin's Gull (Mar. 24)
                                114. Bonaparte's Gull (Apr. 24)
                                115. Ring-billed Gull (Mar. 17)
                                116. California Gull (Mar. 17)
                                117. Herring Gull (Mar. 20)
                                118. Iceland Gull - 18 April 2007 - Saskatoon
                                119. Glaucous Gull (Mar. 10)
                                120. Caspian Tern (June 01)
                                121. Common Tern (Apr. 24)
                                122. Forster's Tern (Apr. 24)
                                123. Black Tern (Apr. 29)
                                124. Arctic Tern - 26 May 2007 - Blackstrap Lake
                                125. Rock Pigeon (Jan. 01)
                                126. Band-tailed Pigeon - 03 Sept. 2007 - Kindersley
                                127. Eurasian Collared Dove (Jan. 01)
                                128. Mourning Dove (Jan. 01)(Mar. 28)
                                129. Black-billed Cuckoo (June 10)
                                130. Great Horned Owl (Jan. 01)
                                131. Snowy Owl (Jan. 01)
                                132. Northern Hawk Owl (Jan. 01)
                                133. Burrowing Owl (Apr. 22)
                                134. Barred Owl (Feb. 21)
                                135. Great Gray Owl (Mar. 31)
                                136. Long-eared Owl (rep. Mar. 25)
                                137. Short-eared Owl (Jan. 01)
                                138. Boreal Owl (Jan. 20)
                                139. Northern Saw-whet Owl (Mar. 31)
                                140. Common Nighthawk (May 16)
                                141. Common Poorwill (June 23)
                                142. Chimney Swift (Aug. 18)
                                143. Ruby-throated Hummingbird (May 13)
                                144. Belted Kingfisher (Apr. 19)
                                145. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Apr. 18)
                                146. Red-naped Sapsucker (May. 09)
                                147. Downy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                                148. Hairy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                                149. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Jan. 07)
                                150. Black-backed Woodpecker (Feb. 18)
                                151. Northern Flicker (Jan. 01)
                                152. Pileated Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                                153. Olive-sided Flycatcher (May 15)
                                154. Western Wood-Pewee (Apr. 21)
                                155. Eastern Wood-Pewee (May 31)
                                156. Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (May 13)
                                157. Alder Flycatcher (May 23)
                                158. Willow Flycatcher (May 31)
                                159. Least Flycatcher (May 05)
                                160. Dusky Flycatcher (May15)
                                161. Eastern Phoebe (Apr. 21)
                                162. Say's Phoebe (May 10)
                                163. Great-crested Flycatcher (June 12)
                                164. Western Kingbird (Apr. 30)
                                165. Eastern Kingbird (May 10)
                                166. Loggerhead Shrike (May 05)
                                167. Northern Shrike (Jan. 01)
                                168. Yellow-throated Vireo (May 31)
                                169. Blue-headed Vireo (May 13)
                                170. Warbling Vireo (May 10)
                                171. Philadelphia Vireo (May 13)
                                172. Red-eyed Vireo (May 15)
                                173. Gray Jay (Jan. 01)
                                174. Blue Jay (Jan. 01)
                                175. Black-billed Magpie (Jan. 01)
                                176. American Crow (Jan. 01)
                                177. Common Raven (Jan. 01)
                                178. Horned Lark (Jan. 01)
                                179. Purple Martin (Apr. 22)
                                180. Tree Swallow (Apr. 21)
                                181. Violet-green Swallow (June 27)
                                182. Northern Rough-winged Swallow (May 13)
                                183. Bank Swallow (Apr. 24)
                                184. Cliff Swallow (May 13)
                                185. Barn Swallow (Apr. 24)
                                186. Black-capped Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                                187. Boreal Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                                188. Red-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                                189. White-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                                190. Brown Creeper (Jan. 01)
                                191. Rock Wren (June 03)
                                192. House Wren (May 08)
                                193. Winter Wren (May 26)
                                194. Sedge Wren (May28)
                                195. Marsh Wren (May 04)
                                196. Golden-crowned Kinglet (Jan. 01)
                                197. Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Apr. 18)
                                198. Eastern Bluebird (May 10)
                                199. Mountain Bluebird (Mar. 10)
                                200. Townsend's Solitaire (Jan. 05)
                                201. Veery (May 12)
                                202. Gray-cheeked Thrush (May 11)
                                203. Swainson's Thrush (May 05)
                                204. Hermit Thrush (Jan. 01)(Apr. 24)
                                205. American Robin (Jan. 02)
                                206. Varied Thrush (pre Jan. 20)
                                207. Wood Thrush - 26 May 2007 - Cypress Hills PP
                                208. Gray Catbird (May 13)
                                209. Northern Mockingbird (June 05)
                                210. Brown Thrasher (2006/Jan.)(May 04)
                                211. European Starling (Jan. 01)
                                212. Sprague's Pipit (Apr. 21)
                                213. Bohemian Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                                214. Cedar Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                                215. Tennessee Warbler (May 13)
                                216. Orange-crowned Warbler (Apr. 27)
                                217. Nashville Warbler (May 16)
                                218. Yellow Warbler (May 08)
                                219. Chestnut-sided Warbler (May 19)
                                220. Magnolia Warbler (May 13)
                                221. Cape May Warbler (May 12)
                                222. Yellow-rumped Warbler (Apr. 20)
                                223. Black-throated Green Warbler (May 04)
                                224. Black-throated Blue Warbler (May 16)
                                225. Blackburnian Warbler (May 26)
                                226. Palm Warbler (May 07)
                                227. Bay-breasted Warbler (May 30)
                                228. Blackpoll Warbler (May 11)
                                229. Black-and-white Warbler (May 10)
                                230. American Redstart (May 13)
                                231. Ovenbird (May 14)
                                232. Northern Waterthrush (May 11)
                                233. Connecticut Warbler (May 15)
                                234. Mourning Warbler (May 15)
                                235. MacGillivray's Warbler (June 1)
                                236. Common Yellowthroat (May 11)
                                237. Wilson's Warbler (May 19)
                                238. Canada Warbler (May 22)
                                239. Yellow-breasted Chat (May 29)
                                240. Western Tanager (June 13)
                                241. Summer Tanager (May 13) - Regina, (May 31- Clavet)
                                242. Spotted Towhee (Apr. 30)
                                243. Eastern Towhee (May 11)
                                244. American Tree Sparrow (Mar. 11)
                                245. Chipping Sparrow (Mar. 18)
                                246. Clay-coloured Sparrow (May 04)
                                247. Brewer's Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                                248. Vesper Sparrow (Apr. 21)
                                249. Lark Sparrow (May10)
                                250. Field Sparrow (May 10)
                                251. Lark Bunting (Apr. 26)
                                252. Savannah Sparrow (Apr. 21)
                                253. Grasshopper Sparrow (May 09)
                                254. Baird's Sparrow (May 05)
                                255. Le Conte's Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                                256. Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                                257. Fox Sparrow (Apr. 20)
                                258. Song Sparrow (Jan. 01)
                                259. Lincoln's Sparrow (Apr. 24)
                                260. Swamp Sparrow (June 20)
                                261. White-throated Sparrow (Jan. 02)(Apr. 17)
                                262. Harris's Sparrow (Jan. 04)(May 01)
                                263. White-crowned Sparrow (early Jan.)(Apr. 18)
                                264. Dark-eyed Junco (Jan. 01)
                                265. McCown's Longspur (Apr. 16)
                                266. Lapland Longspur (Jan. 01)
                                267. Smith's Longspur (May 05)
                                268. Chestnut-collared Longspur (Apr. 21)
                                269. Snow Bunting (Jan. 01)
                                270. Northern Cardinal (early Jan.) cont'd from Lumsden 2005
                                271. Rose-breasted Grosbeak (May 06)
                                272. Black-headed Grosbeak (June 3)
                                273. Lazuli Bunting (May 20)

                                Indigo x Lazuli Bunting hybrid (May 31)

                                274. Indigo Bunting (June 10)
                                275. Painted Bunting - 21 Apr. 2007 - RM of Aberdeen (N of Blucher)
                                276. Dickcissel (June 20)
                                277. Bobolink (May 14)
                                278. Red-winged Blackbird (Jan. 28)
                                279. Western Meadowlark (early Jan.)(Mar. 10)
                                280. Yellow-headed Blackbird (Apr. 20)
                                281. Rusty Blackbird (Jan. 02)
                                282. Brewer's Blackbird (Feb. 19)
                                283. Common Grackle (Jan. 07)
                                284. Brown-headed Cowbird (Apr. 20)
                                285. Orchard Oriole (May 21)
                                286. Baltimore Oriole (May 06)
                                287. Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Jan. 01)
                                288. Pine Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                                289. Purple Finch (Jan. 04)
                                290. House Finch (Jan. 01)
                                291. Red Crossbill (Jan. 02)
                                292. White-winged Crossbill (Jan. 01)
                                293. Common Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                                294. Hoary Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                                295. Pine Siskin (Feb. 16)
                                296. American Goldfinch (Jan. 01)

                                (European Goldfinch - 01 May 2007 - Ituna)

                                297. Evening Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                                298. House Sparrow (Jan. 01)

                              • Ryan Dudragne
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 1, 2007
                                  Good Evening All,

                                  With the turning over of a new leaf on the calendar comes another update
                                  to the list. Since September 07, four of the six new species added the
                                  2007 year list this time are rarities, and one more uncountable but very
                                  interesting sighting - Scarlet-headed Blackbird, (Amblyramphus
                                  holosericeus) joins the ranks of the European Goldfinch. The new
                                  additions bring the running total up to 304 species.

                                  New to the list (6): American Black Duck, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull,
                                  Clark's Nutcracker, American Pipit, Scarlet Tanager

                                  Thank you to all list members who have contributed sightings and
                                  expertise. Without you there would be no Saskbirds. If you find any
                                  errors or omissions in the following list, please let me know so I can
                                  correct them as necessary.

                                  Best of Birding,

                                  Ryan Dudragne
                                  Saskatoon, SK

                                  2007 Saskatchewan Year List

                                  1. Greater White-fronted Goose (Mar. 25)
                                  2. Snow Goose (Mar. 23)
                                  3. Ross' Goose (Apr. 15)
                                  4. Cackling Goose (Mar 14)
                                  5. Canada Goose (Jan. 11)
                                  6. Trumpeter Swan (Apr. 16)
                                  7. Tundra Swan (Mar. 22)
                                  8. Wood Duck (Apr. 17)
                                  9. Gadwall (Jan. 21)(Apr. 15)
                                  10. American Wigeon (Mar. 18)
                                  11. American Black Duck - 08 Sept. 2007 - Blackstrap
                                  12. Mallard (Jan. 01)
                                  13. Blue-winged Teal (Mar. 20)
                                  14. Cinnamon Teal (Apr. 29)
                                  15. Northern Shoveler (Apr. 02)
                                  16. Northern Pintail (Jan. 04)
                                  17. Green-winged Teal (Jan. 04)
                                  18. Canvasback (Feb. 16)
                                  19. Redhead (Mar. 10)
                                  20. Ring-necked Duck (Jan. 04)
                                  21. Greater Scaup (Feb. 16)
                                  22. Lesser Scaup (Apr. 03)
                                  23. Surf Scoter (Sept. 25)
                                  24. White-winged Scoter (May 07)
                                  25. Bufflehead (Jan. 04)
                                  26. Common Goldeneye (Jan. 01)
                                  27. Hooded Merganser (Apr. 12)
                                  28. Common Merganser (Jan. 01)
                                  29. Red-breasted Merganser (Apr. 14)
                                  30. Ruddy Duck (Apr. 15)
                                  31. Gray Partridge (Jan. 01)
                                  32. Ring-necked Pheasant (Jan. 01)
                                  33. Ruffed Grouse (Jan. 01)
                                  34. Greater Sage-Grouse (July 01)
                                  35. Spruce Grouse (Jan. 01)
                                  36. Willow Ptarmigan (Jan. 02)
                                  37. Sharp-tailed Grouse (Jan. 01)
                                  38. Wild Turkey (May 07)
                                  39. Red-throated Loon June (26)/07 - Rafferty Dam/Estevan; Oct. 01 -
                                  Lumsden Beach
                                  40. Common Loon (Apr. 16)
                                  41. Pied-billed Grebe (Apr. 18)
                                  42. Horned Grebe (Apr. 13)
                                  43. Red-necked Grebe (Apr. 16)
                                  44. Eared Grebe (Apr. 24)
                                  45. Western Grebe (Apr. 18)
                                  46. Clark's Grebe (Apr. 24)
                                  47. American White Pelican (Apr. 04)
                                  48. Double-crested Cormorant (Apr. 09)
                                  49. American Bittern (Apr. 26)
                                  50. Great Blue Heron (Feb. 25)(Apr. 06)
                                  51. Great Egret (Apr. 24)
                                  52. Cattle Egret (Apr. 29)
                                  53. Black-crowned Night-Heron (Apr. 27)
                                  54. Green Heron - 03 June 2007 - Belle Plaine
                                  55. White-faced Ibis (Apr. 22)
                                  56. Turkey Vulture (Mar. 25)
                                  57. Osprey (Apr. 22)
                                  58. Bald Eagle (Jan. 01)
                                  59. Northern Harrier (Jan. 09)
                                  60. Sharp-shinned Hawk (Jan. 02)
                                  61. Cooper's Hawk (Mar. 29)
                                  62. Northern Goshawk (Jan. 01)
                                  63. Broad-winged Hawk (May 23)
                                  64. Swainson's Hawk (Mar. 25)
                                  65. Red-tailed Hawk (Jan. 03)
                                  66. Ferruginous Hawk (Feb. 26)
                                  67. Rough-legged Hawk (Feb. 26)
                                  68. Golden Eagle (Jan. 01)
                                  69. American Kestrel (Jan. 15)
                                  70. Merlin (Jan. 01)
                                  71. Gyrfalcon (Jan. 01)
                                  72. Peregrine Falcon (Apr. 15)
                                  73. Prairie Falcon (Jan. 28)
                                  74. Yellow Rail (June 23)
                                  75. Virginia Rail (June 10)
                                  76. Sora (May 11)
                                  77. American Coot (Jan. 04)
                                  78. Sandhill Crane (Mar. 25)
                                  79. Whooping Crane (Apr. 18)
                                  80. Black-bellied Plover (May 04)
                                  81. American Golden-Plover (May 07)
                                  82. Semipalmated Plover (Apr. 26)
                                  83. Piping Plover (Apr. 26)
                                  84. Snowy Plover - 26 July 2007 - Chaplin Lake
                                  85. Killdeer (Mar. 17)
                                  86. Black-necked Stilt (May 01)
                                  87. American Avocet (Apr. 06)
                                  88. Greater Yellowlegs (Apr. 12)
                                  89. Lesser Yellowlegs (Apr. 21)
                                  90. Solitary Sandpiper (May 03)
                                  91. Willet (Apr. 20)
                                  92. Spotted Sandpiper (May 03)
                                  93. Upland Sandpiper (May 07)
                                  94. Long-billed Curlew (Apr. 20)
                                  95. Hudsonian Godwit (Apr. 06-09)
                                  96. Marbled Godwit (Apr. 17)
                                  97. Whimbrel (May 21)
                                  98. Ruddy Turnstone (May 21)
                                  99. Red Knot (May 24)
                                  100. Sanderling (May 10)
                                  101. Semipalmated Sandpiper (May 13)
                                  102. Least Sandpiper (May 09)
                                  103. White-rumped Sandpiper (May 07)
                                  104. Baird's Sandpiper (May 13)
                                  105. Pectoral Sandpiper (May 05)
                                  106. Dunlin (May 21)
                                  107. Stilt Sandpiper (May 13)
                                  108. Buff-breasted Sandpiper (May ??)
                                  109. Short-billed Dowitcher (Apr. 18)
                                  110. Long-billed Dowitcher (May 05)
                                  111. Wilson's Snipe (Apr. 21)
                                  112. Wilson's Phalarope (Apr. 21)
                                  113. Red-necked Phalarope (May 13)
                                  114. Long-tailed Jaeger - 19 June 2007 - Candle Lake
                                  115. Franklin's Gull (Mar. 24)
                                  116. Bonaparte's Gull (Apr. 24)
                                  117. Ring-billed Gull (Mar. 17)
                                  118. California Gull (Mar. 17)
                                  119. Herring Gull (Mar. 20)
                                  120. Iceland Gull - 18 April 2007 - Saskatoon
                                  121. Glaucous Gull (Mar. 10)
                                  122. Sabine's Gull - 12 September 2007 - Regina (etc.)
                                  123. Caspian Tern (June 01)
                                  124. Common Tern (Apr. 24)
                                  125. Forster's Tern (Apr. 24)
                                  126. Black Tern (Apr. 29)
                                  127. Arctic Tern - 26 May 2007 - Blackstrap Lake
                                  128. Rock Pigeon (Jan. 01)
                                  129. Band-tailed Pigeon - 03 Sept. 2007 - Kindersley
                                  130. Eurasian Collared Dove (Jan. 01)
                                  131. Mourning Dove (Jan. 01)(Mar. 28)
                                  132. Black-billed Cuckoo (June 10)
                                  133. Great Horned Owl (Jan. 01)
                                  134. Snowy Owl (Jan. 01)
                                  135. Northern Hawk Owl (Jan. 01)
                                  136. Burrowing Owl (Apr. 22)
                                  137. Barred Owl (Feb. 21)
                                  138. Great Gray Owl (Mar. 31)
                                  139. Long-eared Owl (rep. Mar. 25)
                                  140. Short-eared Owl (Jan. 01)
                                  141. Boreal Owl (Jan. 20)
                                  142. Northern Saw-whet Owl (Mar. 31)
                                  143. Common Nighthawk (May 16)
                                  144. Common Poorwill (June 23)
                                  145. Chimney Swift (Aug. 18)
                                  146. Ruby-throated Hummingbird (May 13)
                                  147. Belted Kingfisher (Apr. 19)
                                  148. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Apr. 18)
                                  149. Red-naped Sapsucker (May. 09)
                                  150. Downy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                                  151. Hairy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                                  152. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Jan. 07)
                                  153. Black-backed Woodpecker (Feb. 18)
                                  154. Northern Flicker (Jan. 01)
                                  155. Pileated Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                                  156. Olive-sided Flycatcher (May 15)
                                  157. Western Wood-Pewee (Apr. 21)
                                  158. Eastern Wood-Pewee (May 31)
                                  159. Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (May 13)
                                  160. Alder Flycatcher (May 23)
                                  161. Willow Flycatcher (May 31)
                                  162. Least Flycatcher (May 05)
                                  163. Dusky Flycatcher (May15)
                                  164. Eastern Phoebe (Apr. 21)
                                  165. Say's Phoebe (May 10)
                                  166. Great-crested Flycatcher (June 12)
                                  167. Western Kingbird (Apr. 30)
                                  168. Eastern Kingbird (May 10)
                                  169. Loggerhead Shrike (May 05)
                                  170. Northern Shrike (Jan. 01)
                                  171. Yellow-throated Vireo (May 31)
                                  172. Blue-headed Vireo (May 13)
                                  173. Warbling Vireo (May 10)
                                  174. Philadelphia Vireo (May 13)
                                  175. Red-eyed Vireo (May 15)
                                  176. Gray Jay (Jan. 01)
                                  177. Blue Jay (Jan. 01)
                                  178. Clark's Nutcracker - 15 Sept 2007 - CHIP W Block
                                  179. Black-billed Magpie (Jan. 01)
                                  180. American Crow (Jan. 01)
                                  181. Common Raven (Jan. 01)
                                  182. Horned Lark (Jan. 01)
                                  183. Purple Martin (Apr. 22)
                                  184. Tree Swallow (Apr. 21)
                                  185. Violet-green Swallow (June 27)
                                  186. Northern Rough-winged Swallow (May 13)
                                  187. Bank Swallow (Apr. 24)
                                  188. Cliff Swallow (May 13)
                                  189. Barn Swallow (Apr. 24)
                                  190. Black-capped Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                                  191. Boreal Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                                  192. Red-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                                  193. White-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                                  194. Brown Creeper (Jan. 01)
                                  195. Rock Wren (June 03)
                                  196. House Wren (May 08)
                                  197. Winter Wren (May 26)
                                  198. Sedge Wren (May28)
                                  199. Marsh Wren (May 04)
                                  200. Golden-crowned Kinglet (Jan. 01)
                                  201. Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Apr. 18)
                                  202. Eastern Bluebird (May 10)
                                  203. Mountain Bluebird (Mar. 10)
                                  204. Townsend's Solitaire (Jan. 05)
                                  205. Veery (May 12)
                                  206. Gray-cheeked Thrush (May 11)
                                  207. Swainson's Thrush (May 05)
                                  208. Hermit Thrush (Jan. 01)(Apr. 24)
                                  209. American Robin (Jan. 02)
                                  210. Varied Thrush (pre Jan. 20)
                                  211. Wood Thrush - 26 May 2007 - Cypress Hills PP
                                  212. Gray Catbird (May 13)
                                  213. Northern Mockingbird (June 05)
                                  214. Brown Thrasher (2006/Jan.)(May 04)
                                  215. European Starling (Jan. 01)
                                  216. American Pipit (Sept. 06)
                                  217. Sprague's Pipit (Apr. 21)
                                  218. Bohemian Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                                  219. Cedar Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                                  220. Tennessee Warbler (May 13)
                                  221. Orange-crowned Warbler (Apr. 27)
                                  222. Nashville Warbler (May 16)
                                  223. Yellow Warbler (May 08)
                                  224. Chestnut-sided Warbler (May 19)
                                  225. Magnolia Warbler (May 13)
                                  226. Cape May Warbler (May 12)
                                  227. Yellow-rumped Warbler (Apr. 20)
                                  228. Black-throated Green Warbler (May 04)
                                  229. Black-throated Blue Warbler (May 16)
                                  230. Blackburnian Warbler (May 26)
                                  231. Palm Warbler (May 07)
                                  232. Bay-breasted Warbler (May 30)
                                  233. Blackpoll Warbler (May 11)
                                  234. Black-and-white Warbler (May 10)
                                  235. American Redstart (May 13)
                                  236. Ovenbird (May 14)
                                  237. Northern Waterthrush (May 11)
                                  238. Connecticut Warbler (May 15)
                                  239. Mourning Warbler (May 15)
                                  240. MacGillivray's Warbler (June 1)
                                  241. Common Yellowthroat (May 11)
                                  242. Wilson's Warbler (May 19)
                                  243. Canada Warbler (May 22)
                                  244. Yellow-breasted Chat (May 29)
                                  245. Western Tanager (June 13)
                                  246. Summer Tanager (May 13) - Regina (May 31- Clavet)
                                  247. Scarlet Tanager - 19 September 2007 - Regina
                                  248. Spotted Towhee (Apr. 30)
                                  249. Eastern Towhee (May 11)
                                  250. American Tree Sparrow (Mar. 11)
                                  251. Chipping Sparrow (Mar. 18)
                                  252. Clay-coloured Sparrow (May 04)
                                  253. Brewer's Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                                  254. Vesper Sparrow (Apr. 21)
                                  255. Lark Sparrow (May10)
                                  256. Field Sparrow (May 10)
                                  257. Lark Bunting (Apr. 26)
                                  258. Savannah Sparrow (Apr. 21)
                                  259. Grasshopper Sparrow (May 09)
                                  260. Baird's Sparrow (May 05)
                                  261. Le Conte's Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                                  262. Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                                  263. Fox Sparrow (Apr. 20)
                                  264. Song Sparrow (Jan. 01)
                                  265. Lincoln's Sparrow (Apr. 24)
                                  266. Swamp Sparrow (June 20)
                                  267. White-throated Sparrow (Jan. 02)(Apr. 17)
                                  268. Harris's Sparrow (Jan. 04)(May 01)
                                  269. White-crowned Sparrow (early Jan.)(Apr. 18)
                                  270. Dark-eyed Junco (Jan. 01)
                                  271. McCown's Longspur (Apr. 16)
                                  272. Lapland Longspur (Jan. 01)
                                  273. Smith's Longspur (May 05)
                                  274. Chestnut-collared Longspur (Apr. 21)
                                  275. Snow Bunting (Jan. 01)
                                  276. Northern Cardinal (early Jan.) - cont'd from 2005; Lumsden
                                  277. Rose-breasted Grosbeak (May 06)
                                  278. Black-headed Grosbeak (June 3)
                                  279. Lazuli Bunting (May 20)

                                  Indigo x Lazuli Bunting hybrid (May 31)

                                  280. Indigo Bunting (June 10)
                                  281. Painted Bunting - 21 Apr. 2007 - RM of Aberdeen (N of Blucher)
                                  282. Dickcissel (June 20)
                                  283. Bobolink (May 14)
                                  284. Red-winged Blackbird (Jan. 28)
                                  285. Western Meadowlark (early Jan.)(Mar. 10)

                                  (Scarlet-headed Blackbird - 30 Sept. 2007, Saskatoon)

                                  286. Yellow-headed Blackbird (Apr. 20)
                                  287. Rusty Blackbird (Jan. 02)
                                  288. Brewer's Blackbird (Feb. 19)
                                  289. Common Grackle (Jan. 07)
                                  290. Brown-headed Cowbird (Apr. 20)
                                  291. Orchard Oriole (May 21)
                                  292. Baltimore Oriole (May 06)
                                  293. Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Jan. 01)
                                  294. Pine Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                                  295. Purple Finch (Jan. 04)
                                  296. House Finch (Jan. 01)
                                  297. Red Crossbill (Jan. 02)
                                  298. White-winged Crossbill (Jan. 01)
                                  299. Common Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                                  300. Hoary Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                                  301. Pine Siskin (Feb. 16)
                                  302. American Goldfinch (Jan. 01)

                                  (European Goldfinch - 01 May 2007 - Ituna)

                                  303. Evening Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                                  304. House Sparrow (Jan. 01)

                                • Nick
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 2, 2007
                                    Thanks to Ryan for this well presented list as usual , and to everyone
                                    else posting their sightings .
                                    With project Feederwatch coming up soon , I hope more people become
                                    aware of just how diverse Saskatchewan can be for birdlife and keep a
                                    watchful eye out there.

                                    Cheers

                                    Nick

                                    Saskatoon
                                  • Ryan Dudragne
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 23, 2007
                                      Good Evening All,

                                      A recap of yearly firsts since the last update on October 01 (sorry for
                                      this month's delay!):

                                      The month of November has certainly been good for birding in the
                                      province. A female Harlequin duck was again discovered at Saskatoon's
                                      famous weir (Nov. 16, Ryan Dudragne) and another at Regina Beach (Bob
                                      Luterbach, Nov. 20). Also on November 20, Bob found a juvenile Thayer's
                                      and second winter Mew Gull in Regina; the latter of which has not been
                                      reported, to my knowledge, since October 2001. The next day, Bob
                                      located his third Ancient Murrelet at Trestle Bay (Nos. 1 and 2 being in
                                      the same area, 2001 and 2002, respectively).

                                      October wasn't too shabby, either. In addition, Black Scoter and
                                      Pacific Loon were added to the list on October 18, Long-tailed Duck on
                                      October 26, and Barrow's Goldeneye on October 07 (and again Nov. 18 in
                                      Saskatoon; Regina Beach on Nov. 20). Another Red-throated Loon was
                                      located on October 01 at Lumsden Beach and has been seen sporadically in
                                      the area since then.

                                      And, on October 22 a family group of Bewick's Swans was located on
                                      Wascana Lake in Regina and were obligingly viewed for the subsequent 11
                                      days. While currently recognized as a Eurasian subspecies of the Tundra
                                      Swan and thereby not itself contributing to the year's tally, this was
                                      an exceptional and interesting sighting nonetheless.

                                      Well, that just about sums it up. With just more than a month of the
                                      year left, our current total stands at 312 species. We ended last year
                                      with 313 species (Summer Tanager and Little Blue Heron being the late
                                      reports). In one week, the official winter birding season will begin
                                      (more on that later). In the meantime, keep an eye out for late
                                      migrants and stragglers; anything can show up between now and New Year's!

                                      Finally, please alert me to any errors or omissions that you may find in
                                      the following list. I welcome any and all feedback. And, without
                                      further ado, I shall present to you the latest update.

                                      Best of Birding,

                                      Ryan Dudragne
                                      Saskatoon, SK

                                      2007 Saskatchewan Year List (to Nov. 23)

                                      1. Greater White-fronted Goose (Mar. 25)
                                      2. Snow Goose (Mar. 23)
                                      3. Ross' Goose (Apr. 15)
                                      4. Cackling Goose (Mar 14)
                                      5. Canada Goose (Jan. 11)
                                      6. Trumpeter Swan (Apr. 16)
                                      7. Tundra Swan (Mar. 22)
                                      8. Wood Duck (Apr. 17)
                                      9. Gadwall (Jan. 21)(Apr. 15)
                                      10. American Wigeon (Mar. 18)
                                      11. American Black Duck - 08 Sept. 2007 - Blackstrap
                                      12. Mallard (Jan. 01)
                                      13. Blue-winged Teal (Mar. 20)
                                      14. Cinnamon Teal (Apr. 29)
                                      15. Northern Shoveler (Apr. 02)
                                      16. Northern Pintail (Jan. 04)
                                      17. Green-winged Teal (Jan. 04)
                                      18. Canvasback (Feb. 16)
                                      19. Redhead (Mar. 10)
                                      20. Ring-necked Duck (Jan. 04)
                                      21. Greater Scaup (Feb. 16)
                                      22. Lesser Scaup (Apr. 03)
                                      23. Harlequin Duck (Nov. 16)
                                      24. Surf Scoter (Sept. 25)
                                      25. White-winged Scoter (May 07)
                                      26. Black Scoter (Oct. 18)
                                      27. Long-tailed Duck (Oct. 26)
                                      28. Bufflehead (Jan. 04)
                                      29. Common Goldeneye (Jan. 01)
                                      30. Barrow's Goldeneye (Oct. 07)
                                      31. Hooded Merganser (Apr. 12)
                                      32. Common Merganser (Jan. 01)
                                      33. Red-breasted Merganser (Apr. 14)
                                      34. Ruddy Duck (Apr. 15)
                                      35. Gray Partridge (Jan. 01)
                                      36. Ring-necked Pheasant (Jan. 01)
                                      37. Ruffed Grouse (Jan. 01)
                                      38. Greater Sage-Grouse (July 01)
                                      39. Spruce Grouse (Jan. 01)
                                      40. Willow Ptarmigan (Jan. 02)
                                      41. Sharp-tailed Grouse (Jan. 01)
                                      42. Wild Turkey (May 07)
                                      43. Pacific Loon (Oct. 18)
                                      44. Red-throated Loon- 26 June 2007, Estevan; Oct. 01, Lumsden Beach
                                      45. Common Loon (Apr. 16)
                                      46. Pied-billed Grebe (Apr. 18)
                                      47. Horned Grebe (Apr. 13)
                                      48. Red-necked Grebe (Apr. 16)
                                      49. Eared Grebe (Apr. 24)
                                      50. Western Grebe (Apr. 18)
                                      51. Clark's Grebe (Apr. 24)
                                      52. American White Pelican (Apr. 04)
                                      53. Double-crested Cormorant (Apr. 09)
                                      54. American Bittern (Apr. 26)
                                      55. Great Blue Heron (Feb. 25)(Apr. 06)
                                      56. Great Egret (Apr. 24)
                                      57. Cattle Egret (Apr. 29)
                                      58. Black-crowned Night-Heron (Apr. 27)
                                      59. Green Heron - 03 June 2007 - Belle Plaine
                                      60. White-faced Ibis (Apr. 22)
                                      61. Turkey Vulture (Mar. 25)
                                      62. Osprey (Apr. 22)
                                      63. Bald Eagle (Jan. 01)
                                      64. Northern Harrier (Jan. 09)
                                      65. Sharp-shinned Hawk (Jan. 02)
                                      66. Cooper's Hawk (Mar. 29)
                                      67. Northern Goshawk (Jan. 01)
                                      68. Broad-winged Hawk (May 23)
                                      69. Swainson's Hawk (Mar. 25)
                                      70. Red-tailed Hawk (Jan. 03)
                                      71. Ferruginous Hawk (Feb. 26)
                                      72. Rough-legged Hawk (Feb. 26)
                                      73. Golden Eagle (Jan. 01)
                                      74. American Kestrel (Jan. 15)
                                      75. Merlin (Jan. 01)
                                      76. Gyrfalcon (Jan. 01)
                                      77. Peregrine Falcon (Apr. 15)
                                      78. Prairie Falcon (Jan. 28)
                                      79. Yellow Rail (June 23)
                                      80. Virginia Rail (June 10)
                                      81. Sora (May 11)
                                      82. American Coot (Jan. 04)
                                      83. Sandhill Crane (Mar. 25)
                                      84. Whooping Crane (Apr. 18)
                                      85. Black-bellied Plover (May 04)
                                      86. American Golden-Plover (May 07)
                                      87. Semipalmated Plover (Apr. 26)
                                      88. Piping Plover (Apr. 26)
                                      89. Snowy Plover- 26 July 2007 - Chaplin Lake
                                      90. Killdeer (Mar. 17)
                                      91. Black-necked Stilt (May 01)
                                      92. American Avocet (Apr. 06)
                                      93. Greater Yellowlegs (Apr. 12)
                                      94. Lesser Yellowlegs (Apr. 21)
                                      95. Solitary Sandpiper (May 03)
                                      96. Willet (Apr. 20)
                                      97. Spotted Sandpiper (May 03)
                                      98. Upland Sandpiper (May 07)
                                      99. Long-billed Curlew (Apr. 20)
                                      100. Hudsonian Godwit (Apr. 06-09)
                                      101. Marbled Godwit (Apr. 17)
                                      102. Whimbrel (May 21)
                                      103. Ruddy Turnstone (May 21)
                                      104. Red Knot (May 24)
                                      105. Sanderling (May 10)
                                      106. Semipalmated Sandpiper (May 13)
                                      107. Least Sandpiper (May 09)
                                      108. White-rumped Sandpiper (May 07)
                                      109. Baird's Sandpiper (May 13)
                                      110. Pectoral Sandpiper (May 05)
                                      111. Dunlin (May 21)
                                      112. Stilt Sandpiper (May 13)
                                      113. Buff-breasted Sandpiper (May ??)
                                      114. Short-billed Dowitcher (Apr. 18)
                                      115. Long-billed Dowitcher (May 05)
                                      116. Wilson's Snipe (Apr. 21)
                                      117. Wilson's Phalarope (Apr. 21)
                                      118. Red-necked Phalarope (May 13)
                                      119. Long-tailed Jaeger - 19 June 2007 - Candle Lake
                                      120. Franklin's Gull (Mar. 24)
                                      121. Bonaparte's Gull (Apr. 24)
                                      122. Mew Gull - 19 November 2007 - Regina
                                      123. Ring-billed Gull (Mar. 17)
                                      124. California Gull (Mar. 17)
                                      125. Herring Gull (Mar. 20)
                                      126. Thayer's Gull (Nov. 19)
                                      127. Iceland Gull - 18 April 2007 - Saskatoon
                                      128. Glaucous Gull (Mar. 10)
                                      129. Sabine's Gull - 12 September 2007 - Regina
                                      130. Caspian Tern (June 01)
                                      131. Common Tern (Apr. 24)
                                      132. Forster's Tern (Apr. 24)
                                      133. Black Tern (Apr. 29)
                                      134. Arctic Tern - 26 May 2007 - Blackstrap Lake
                                      135. Ancient Murrelet - 21 Nov. 2007 - Trestle Bay
                                      136. Rock Pigeon (Jan. 01)
                                      137. Band-tailed Pigeon - 03 Sept. 2007 - Kindersley
                                      138. Eurasian Collared Dove (Jan. 01)
                                      139. Mourning Dove (Jan. 01)(Mar. 28)
                                      140. Black-billed Cuckoo (June 10)
                                      141. Great Horned Owl (Jan. 01)
                                      142. Snowy Owl (Jan. 01)
                                      143. Northern Hawk Owl (Jan. 01)
                                      144. Burrowing Owl (Apr. 22)
                                      145. Barred Owl (Feb. 21)
                                      146. Great Gray Owl (Mar. 31)
                                      147. Long-eared Owl (rep. Mar. 25)
                                      148. Short-eared Owl (Jan. 01)
                                      149. Boreal Owl (Jan. 20)
                                      150. Northern Saw-whet Owl (Mar. 31)
                                      151. Common Nighthawk (May 16)
                                      152. Common Poorwill (June 23)
                                      153. Chimney Swift (Aug. 18)
                                      154. Ruby-throated Hummingbird (May 13)
                                      155. Belted Kingfisher (Apr. 19)
                                      156. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Apr. 18)
                                      157. Red-naped Sapsucker (May. 09)
                                      158. Downy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                                      159. Hairy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                                      160. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Jan. 07)
                                      161. Black-backed Woodpecker (Feb. 18)
                                      162. Northern Flicker (Jan. 01)
                                      163. Pileated Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                                      164. Olive-sided Flycatcher (May 15)
                                      165. Western Wood-Pewee (Apr. 21)
                                      166. Eastern Wood-Pewee (May 31)
                                      167. Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (May 13)
                                      168. Alder Flycatcher (May 23)
                                      169. Willow Flycatcher (May 31)
                                      170. Least Flycatcher (May 05)
                                      171. Dusky Flycatcher (May15)
                                      172. Eastern Phoebe (Apr. 21)
                                      173. Say's Phoebe (May 10)
                                      174. Great-crested Flycatcher (June 12)
                                      175. Western Kingbird (Apr. 30)
                                      176. Eastern Kingbird (May 10)
                                      177. Loggerhead Shrike (May 05)
                                      178. Northern Shrike (Jan. 01)
                                      179. Yellow-throated Vireo (May 31)
                                      180. Blue-headed Vireo (May 13)
                                      181. Warbling Vireo (May 10)
                                      182. Philadelphia Vireo (May 13)
                                      183. Red-eyed Vireo (May 15)
                                      184. Gray Jay (Jan. 01)
                                      185. Blue Jay (Jan. 01)
                                      186. Clark's Nutcracker - 15 Sept 2007 - CHIP W Block
                                      187. Black-billed Magpie (Jan. 01)
                                      188. American Crow (Jan. 01)
                                      189. Common Raven (Jan. 01)
                                      190. Horned Lark (Jan. 01)
                                      191. Purple Martin (Apr. 22)
                                      192. Tree Swallow (Apr. 21)
                                      193. Violet-green Swallow (June 27)
                                      194. Northern Rough-winged Swallow (May 13)
                                      195. Bank Swallow (Apr. 24)
                                      196. Cliff Swallow (May 13)
                                      197. Barn Swallow (Apr. 24)
                                      198. Black-capped Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                                      199. Boreal Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                                      200. Red-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                                      201. White-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                                      202. Brown Creeper (Jan. 01)
                                      203. Rock Wren (June 03)
                                      204. House Wren (May 08)
                                      205. Winter Wren (May 26)
                                      206. Sedge Wren (May28)
                                      207. Marsh Wren (May 04)
                                      208. Golden-crowned Kinglet (Jan. 01)
                                      209. Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Apr. 18)
                                      210. Eastern Bluebird (May 10)
                                      211. Mountain Bluebird (Mar. 10)
                                      212. Townsend's Solitaire (Jan. 05)
                                      213. Veery (May 12)
                                      214. Gray-cheeked Thrush (May 11)
                                      215. Swainson's Thrush (May 05)
                                      216. Hermit Thrush (Jan. 01)(Apr. 24)
                                      217. American Robin (Jan. 02)
                                      218. Varied Thrush (pre Jan. 20)
                                      219. Wood Thrush - 26 May 2007 - Cypress Hills PP
                                      220. Gray Catbird (May 13)
                                      221. Northern Mockingbird (June 05)
                                      222. Brown Thrasher (2006/Jan.)(May 04)
                                      223. European Starling (Jan. 01)
                                      224. American Pipit (Sept. 06)
                                      225. Sprague's Pipit (Apr. 21)
                                      226. Bohemian Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                                      227. Cedar Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                                      228. Tennessee Warbler (May 13)
                                      229. Orange-crowned Warbler (Apr. 27)
                                      230. Nashville Warbler (May 16)
                                      231. Yellow Warbler (May 08)
                                      232. Chestnut-sided Warbler (May 19)
                                      233. Magnolia Warbler (May 13)
                                      234. Cape May Warbler (May 12)
                                      235. Yellow-rumped Warbler (Apr. 20)
                                      236. Black-throated Green Warbler (May 04)
                                      237. Black-throated Blue Warbler (May 16)
                                      238. Blackburnian Warbler (May 26)
                                      239. Palm Warbler (May 07)
                                      240. Bay-breasted Warbler (May 30)
                                      241. Blackpoll Warbler (May 11)
                                      242. Black-and-white Warbler (May 10)
                                      243. American Redstart (May 13)
                                      244. Ovenbird (May 14)
                                      245. Northern Waterthrush (May 11)
                                      246. Connecticut Warbler (May 15)
                                      247. Mourning Warbler (May 15)
                                      248. MacGillivray's Warbler (June 1)
                                      249. Common Yellowthroat (May 11)
                                      250. Wilson's Warbler (May 19)
                                      251. Canada Warbler (May 22)
                                      252. Yellow-breasted Chat (May 29)
                                      253. Western Tanager (June 13)
                                      254. Summer Tanager (May 13)- Regina (May 31- Clavet)
                                      255. Scarlet Tanager - 19 September 2007 - Regina
                                      256. Spotted Towhee (Apr. 30)
                                      257. Eastern Towhee (May 11)
                                      258. American Tree Sparrow (Mar. 11)
                                      259. Chipping Sparrow (Mar. 18)
                                      260. Clay-coloured Sparrow (May 04)
                                      261. Brewer's Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                                      262. Vesper Sparrow (Apr. 21)
                                      263. Lark Sparrow (May10)
                                      264. Field Sparrow (May 10)
                                      265. Lark Bunting (Apr. 26)
                                      266. Savannah Sparrow (Apr. 21)
                                      267. Grasshopper Sparrow (May 09)
                                      268. Baird's Sparrow (May 05)
                                      269. Le Conte's Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                                      270. Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                                      271. Fox Sparrow (Apr. 20)
                                      272. Song Sparrow (Jan. 01)
                                      273. Lincoln's Sparrow (Apr. 24)
                                      274. Swamp Sparrow (June 20)
                                      275. White-throated Sparrow (Jan. 02)(Apr. 17)
                                      276. Harris's Sparrow (Jan. 04)(May 01)
                                      277. White-crowned Sparrow (early Jan.)(Apr. 18)
                                      278. Dark-eyed Junco (Jan. 01)
                                      279. McCown's Longspur (Apr. 16)
                                      280. Lapland Longspur (Jan. 01)
                                      281. Smith's Longspur (May 05)
                                      282. Chestnut-collared Longspur (Apr. 21)
                                      283. Snow Bunting (Jan. 01)
                                      284. Northern Cardinal (early Jan)cont'd from Lumsden 2005
                                      285. Rose-breasted Grosbeak (May 06)
                                      286. Black-headed Grosbeak (June 3)
                                      287. Lazuli Bunting (May 20)

                                      Indigo x Lazuli Bunting hybrid (May 31)

                                      288. Indigo Bunting (June 10)
                                      289. Painted Bunting - 21 Apr. 2007 - RM of Aberdeen (N of Blucher)
                                      290. Dickcissel (June 20)
                                      291. Bobolink (May 14)
                                      292. Red-winged Blackbird (Jan. 28)
                                      293. Western Meadowlark (early Jan.)(Mar. 10)

                                      (Scarlet-headed Blackbird, Amblyramphus holosericeus)
                                      (30 September 2007 - Saskatoon)

                                      294. Yellow-headed Blackbird (Apr. 20)
                                      295. Rusty Blackbird (Jan. 02)
                                      296. Brewer's Blackbird (Feb. 19)
                                      297. Common Grackle (Jan. 07)
                                      298. Brown-headed Cowbird (Apr. 20)
                                      299. Orchard Oriole (May 21)
                                      300. Baltimore Oriole (May 06)
                                      301. Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Jan. 01)
                                      302. Pine Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                                      303. Purple Finch (Jan. 04)
                                      304. House Finch (Jan. 01)
                                      305. Red Crossbill (Jan. 02)
                                      306. White-winged Crossbill (Jan. 01)
                                      307. Common Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                                      308. Hoary Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                                      309. Pine Siskin (Feb. 16)
                                      310. American Goldfinch (Jan. 01)

                                      (European Goldfinch) (01 May 2007 - Ituna)

                                      311. Evening Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                                      312. House Sparrow (Jan. 01)

                                    • Ryan Dudragne
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 23, 2007
                                        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Dudragne <pl8guy@...> wrote:

                                        The next day, Bob
                                        > located his third Ancient Murrelet at Trestle Bay (Nos. 1 and 2
                                        being in
                                        > the same area, 2001 and 2002, respectively).

                                        Oops, make that 2002 and 2003!

                                        Cheers,
                                        Ryan
                                      • Ryan Dudragne
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 31, 2007
                                          Fellow Listers,

                                          Once again, it is time to turn the calendar to a new year, leaving
                                          behind as a distant memory another marvellous year of birding in the
                                          province.

                                          While we had a few misses this year (Snowy Egret, Eastern Screech-Owl,
                                          Red-headed Woodpecker, American Dipper, Bullock's Oriole), we were
                                          fortunate enough to find about twenty rarities to jack up the final
                                          tally to 313 species reported on Saskbirds, with a couple of other
                                          interesting records (below). Such notable birds included:

                                          [Bewick's (Tundra) Swan - 22 October 2007 - Regina]
                                          American Black Duck - 08 Sept. 2007 - Blackstrap
                                          Red-throated Loon -June 26 (Rafferty Dam); Oct. 01 (Lumsden Beach)
                                          Green Heron - 03 June 2007 - Belle Plaine
                                          Snowy Plover - 26 July 2007 - Chaplin Lake
                                          Long-tailed Jaeger - 19 June 2007 - Candle Lake
                                          Mew Gull - 19 November 2007 - Regina
                                          Iceland Gull - 18 April 2007 - Saskatoon
                                          Sabine's Gull - 12 September 2007 - Regina
                                          Arctic Tern - 26 May 2007 - Blackstrap Lake
                                          Ancient Murrelet - 21 Nov. 2007 - Trestle Bay
                                          Band-tailed Pigeon - 03 Sept. 2007 - Kindersley
                                          Red-bellied Woodpecker - Mid-November - Yorkton
                                          Clark's Nutcracker - 15 Sept 2007 - Cypress Hills W Block
                                          Wood Thrush - 26 May 2007 - Cypress Hills PP
                                          Summer Tanager - May 13 (Regina); May 31 (Clavet)
                                          Scarlet Tanager - 19 September 2007 - Regina
                                          Northern Cardinal (early Jan.) - Lumsden 2005-2007
                                          Painted Bunting - 21 Apr. 2007 - RM of Aberdeen

                                          Scarlet-headed Blackbird, (30 September 2007 - Saskatoon)
                                          European Goldfinch, (01 May 2007 - Ituna)

                                          While some of the above rarities were also noted in 2006 (like Summer
                                          and Scarlet tanagers, Snowy Plover, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Chimney
                                          Swift), most were unique, and about half (9) were Larids (gulls and
                                          terns) this year.

                                          I would like to send out a big, hearty THANK YOU to everyone who has
                                          made contributions to this year list, and/or have otherwise made 2007
                                          and stellar year for birding in Saskatchewan. If I have missed any
                                          species in the list below, or if any late reports come in, I will update
                                          the list acordingly. Otherwise this is the final edition for 2007. Get
                                          set for a new annual list to begin on January 1st or 2nd, 2008!

                                          Warmest of Wishes,

                                          Ryan Dudragne
                                          Saskatoon, SK

                                          2007 Saskbirds Saskatchewan Year List (Final Copy)

[...]
                                          44. Red-throated Loon-June 26 (Rafferty Dam); Oct.01 (Lumsden Beach)
[...]
                                          156. Red-bellied Woodpecker- mid-Nov. (Dec. 15): Yorkton
                                          157. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Apr. 18)
                                          158. Red-naped Sapsucker (May. 09)
                                          159. Downy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                                          160. Hairy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                                          161. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Jan. 07)
                                          162. Black-backed Woodpecker (Feb. 18)
                                          163. Northern Flicker (Jan. 01)
                                          164. Pileated Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
                                          165. Olive-sided Flycatcher (May 15)
                                          166. Western Wood-Pewee (Apr. 21)
                                          167. Eastern Wood-Pewee (May 31)
                                          168. Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (May 13)
                                          169. Alder Flycatcher (May 23)
                                          170. Willow Flycatcher (May 31)
                                          171. Least Flycatcher (May 05)
                                          172. Dusky Flycatcher (May15)
                                          173. Eastern Phoebe (Apr. 21)
                                          174. Say's Phoebe (May 10)
                                          175. Great-crested Flycatcher (June 12)
                                          176. Western Kingbird (Apr. 30)
                                          177. Eastern Kingbird (May 10)
                                          178. Loggerhead Shrike (May 05)
                                          179. Northern Shrike (Jan. 01)
                                          180. Yellow-throated Vireo (May 31)
                                          181. Blue-headed Vireo (May 13)
                                          182. Warbling Vireo (May 10)
                                          183. Philadelphia Vireo (May 13)
                                          184. Red-eyed Vireo (May 15)
                                          185. Gray Jay (Jan. 01)
                                          186. Blue Jay (Jan. 01)
                                          187. Clark's Nutcracker - 15 Sept 2007 - CHIP W Block
                                          188. Black-billed Magpie (Jan. 01)
                                          189. American Crow (Jan. 01)
                                          190. Common Raven (Jan. 01)
                                          191. Horned Lark (Jan. 01)
                                          192. Purple Martin (Apr. 22)
                                          193. Tree Swallow (Apr. 21)
                                          194. Violet-green Swallow (June 27)
                                          195. Northern Rough-winged Swallow (May 13)
                                          196. Bank Swallow (Apr. 24)
                                          197. Cliff Swallow (May 13)
                                          198. Barn Swallow (Apr. 24)
                                          199. Black-capped Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                                          200. Boreal Chickadee (Jan. 01)
                                          201. Red-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                                          202. White-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
                                          203. Brown Creeper (Jan. 01)
                                          204. Rock Wren (June 03)
                                          205. House Wren (May 08)
                                          206. Winter Wren (May 26)
                                          207. Sedge Wren (May28)
                                          208. Marsh Wren (May 04)
                                          209. Golden-crowned Kinglet (Jan. 01)
                                          210. Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Apr. 18)
                                          211. Eastern Bluebird (May 10)
                                          212. Mountain Bluebird (Mar. 10)
                                          213. Townsend's Solitaire (Jan. 05)
                                          214. Veery (May 12)
                                          215. Gray-cheeked Thrush (May 11)
                                          216. Swainson's Thrush (May 05)
                                          217. Hermit Thrush (Jan. 01)(Apr. 24)
                                          218. American Robin (Jan. 02)
                                          219. Varied Thrush (pre Jan. 20)
                                          220. Wood Thrush - 26 May 2007 - Cypress Hills PP
                                          221. Gray Catbird (May 13)
                                          222. Northern Mockingbird (June 05)
                                          223. Brown Thrasher (2006/Jan.)(May 04)
                                          224. European Starling (Jan. 01)
                                          225. American Pipit (Sept. 06)
                                          226. Sprague's Pipit (Apr. 21)
                                          227. Bohemian Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                                          228. Cedar Waxwing (Jan. 01)
                                          229. Tennessee Warbler (May 13)
                                          230. Orange-crowned Warbler (Apr. 27)
                                          231. Nashville Warbler (May 16)
                                          232. Yellow Warbler (May 08)
                                          233. Chestnut-sided Warbler (May 19)
                                          234. Magnolia Warbler (May 13)
                                          235. Cape May Warbler (May 12)
                                          236. Yellow-rumped Warbler (Apr. 20)
                                          237. Black-throated Green Warbler (May 04)
                                          238. Black-throated Blue Warbler (May 16)
                                          239. Blackburnian Warbler (May 26)
                                          240. Palm Warbler (May 07)
                                          241. Bay-breasted Warbler (May 30)
                                          242. Blackpoll Warbler (May 11)
                                          243. Black-and-white Warbler (May 10)
                                          244. American Redstart (May 13)
                                          245. Ovenbird (May 14)
                                          246. Northern Waterthrush (May 11)
                                          247. Connecticut Warbler (May 15)
                                          248. Mourning Warbler (May 15)
                                          249. MacGillivray's Warbler (June 1)
                                          250. Common Yellowthroat (May 11)
                                          251. Wilson's Warbler (May 19)
                                          252. Canada Warbler (May 22)
                                          253. Yellow-breasted Chat (May 29)
                                          254. Western Tanager (June 13)
                                          255. Summer Tanager (May 13) - Regina (May 31- Clavet)
                                          256. Scarlet Tanager - 19 September 2007 - Regina
                                          257. Spotted Towhee (Apr. 30)
                                          258. Eastern Towhee (May 11)
                                          259. American Tree Sparrow (Mar. 11)
                                          260. Chipping Sparrow (Mar. 18)
                                          261. Clay-coloured Sparrow (May 04)
                                          262. Brewer's Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                                          263. Vesper Sparrow (Apr. 21)
                                          264. Lark Sparrow (May10)
                                          265. Field Sparrow (May 10)
                                          266. Lark Bunting (Apr. 26)
                                          267. Savannah Sparrow (Apr. 21)
                                          268. Grasshopper Sparrow (May 09)
                                          269. Baird's Sparrow (May 05)
                                          270. Le Conte's Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                                          271. Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow (Apr. 26)
                                          272. Fox Sparrow (Apr. 20)
                                          273. Song Sparrow (Jan. 01)
                                          274. Lincoln's Sparrow (Apr. 24)
                                          275. Swamp Sparrow (June 20)
                                          276. White-throated Sparrow (Jan. 02)(Apr. 17)
                                          277. Harris's Sparrow (Jan. 04)(May 01)
                                          278. White-crowned Sparrow (early Jan.)(Apr. 18)
                                          279. Dark-eyed Junco (Jan. 01)
                                          280. McCown's Longspur (Apr. 16)
                                          281. Lapland Longspur (Jan. 01)
                                          282. Smith's Longspur (May 05)
                                          283. Chestnut-collared Longspur (Apr. 21)
                                          284. Snow Bunting (Jan. 01)
                                          285. Northern Cardinal (early Jan.): Sep 2005-2007; Lumsden
                                          286. Rose-breasted Grosbeak (May 06)
                                          287. Black-headed Grosbeak (June 3)
                                          288. Lazuli Bunting (May 20)

                                          Indigo x Lazuli Bunting hybrid (May 31)

                                          289. Indigo Bunting (June 10)
                                          290. Painted Bunting - 21 Apr. 2007 - RM of Aberdeen
                                          291. Dickcissel (June 20)
                                          292. Bobolink (May 14)
                                          293. Red-winged Blackbird (Jan. 28)
                                          294. Western Meadowlark (early Jan.)(Mar. 10)

                                          (Scarlet-headed Blackbird, Amblyramphus holosericeus)
                                          (30 September 2007 - Saskatoon)

                                          295. Yellow-headed Blackbird (Apr. 20)
                                          296. Rusty Blackbird (Jan. 02)
                                          297. Brewer's Blackbird (Feb. 19)
                                          298. Common Grackle (Jan. 07)
                                          299. Brown-headed Cowbird (Apr. 20)
                                          300. Orchard Oriole (May 21)
                                          301. Baltimore Oriole (May 06)
                                          302. Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Jan. 01)
                                          303. Pine Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                                          304. Purple Finch (Jan. 04)
                                          305. House Finch (Jan. 01)
                                          306. Red Crossbill (Jan. 02)
                                          307. White-winged Crossbill (Jan. 01)
                                          308. Common Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                                          309. Hoary Redpoll (Jan. 01)
                                          310. Pine Siskin (Feb. 16)
                                          311. American Goldfinch (Jan. 01)

                                          (European Goldfinch, 01 May 2007 - Ituna)

                                          312. Evening Grosbeak (Jan. 01)
                                          313. House Sparrow (Jan. 01)

                                          [Bewick's (Tundra) Swan: 22 October - Nov. 02, Regina]

                                        • Ryan Dudragne
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 31, 2007
                                            Oops, I meant to say that "many (5) were Larids", not half of the
                                            highlights as previously mentioned. Sorry!

                                            Cheers,
                                            Ryan