Horned Larks

  • Brett Quiring
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 1, 2007
      I was on the road on Tuesday driving from Regina to Raymore-Leross
      area and back. I was hoping to see some Snowy Owls but no luck,
      however I did come across a large flock of Horned Larks just south
      of Raymore. In total there were about 30 birds along a gravel road
      just south of town. Is it possible that these birds are returning
      to the area? I know some winter over in SK but I have never heard
      of large flocks wintering over. I also noticed a large number of
      Ravens. I saw perhaps 15 Ravens along highway 35 between Leross and
      Fort Qu'Appelle. I don't remember seeing so many in the past, but I
      don't tend to do much winter driving in the country so this may be
      normal.

      All in all I saw

      30 Horned Larks
      15 Common Redpolls
      5 Black-capped Chickadees
      15 Ravens
      5 BB.Magpies
      9 Sharp Tailed Grouse
      1 Downy Woodpecker
      8 B.Waxwings

      Not bad for a cold blustery day.
    • kmscouts
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 23
        Was a fantastic day out hiking.  Eventually warmed up to -6oC and was sunny all day.However it was not especially productive bird wise.  Two snowy owls, one all white, the other very dark back.  Maybe 30 snow buntings but usually in small groups of 4 or 5.  Slightly more horned larks, sometimes in small groups, sometimes just a pair and 3-4 times a solitary bird that did not fly very far and then flew back to same are.  Assuming a male starting to be territorial?  A few scattered magpies.  That was it for birds.

        Lots of white tailed deer, coyote and the prairie dogs were out and active.

        Kevin in Val Marie