Meadow Lake Prov Park - Cold River/Pierce Lake Christmas Bird Count

  • tedh@telusplanet.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      On a beautiful Sunday 31 Dec 06, a group of 5 birder's left Cold Lake to make
      the annual Christmas expedition to the Cold River and Pierce Lake CBC Count
      circle (unofficial count). Participation was coordinated through Cold Lake's
      Beaver River Naturalist Society.

      Cold Lake froze very early this year (3 Dec) but the Cold River rapids near the
      outflow from Cold Lake and an area of faster flowing water at Lepine narrows
      east of Pierce Lake remained open. The count circle also covers a portion of
      agricultural land on the south border of Meadow Lake Provincial Park including
      one rural residence with feeders.

      At the Cold River the group split with 3 walking downriver along a snowmobile
      trail to check the riparian area and open water that was not visible from the
      bridge, while 2 checked out a cabin and campground area near the bridge.

      Total party hours 7.25, with 5km walked and 85.2 driven.

      Results of the count were as follows:

      * denotes First Count record for species.

      Mallard 15
      Bald Eagle 1 (adult)
      Ruffed Grouse 9
      *Spruce Grouse 3 (near cabin at Cold River bridge)
      *Black-Backed Woodpecker 1 (near road north of Cold River bridge)
      Woodpecker Sp 2 (probably 1 Downy)
      Blue Jay 5
      Black-Billed Magpie 12
      Common Raven 19
      Black-Capped Chickadee 14
      Boreal Chickadee 3
      Snow Bunting 2
      Pine Grosbeak 11
      Common Redpoll 3

      We did not encounter any Sharp-Tailed Grouse within the circle this trip, but
      did have one a few km south of the circle on our drive in. We were also
      surprised not to find any Common Goldeneye as we usually have some stay around.
      No Gray Jays were found either. Note that a single Common Goldeneye was
      spotted in the Waterhen River north of Doringtosh (outside the count area) by
      two of the participants a day earlier.

      We also experienced some interesting sightings of animals, especially a mink
      that cavorted along the waters edge near the Lepine narrows bridge.

      Red Squirrels 9, White-tailed deer 11, 1 Moose(cow), 2 coyotes, 1 mink, 2
      muskrats. Sign of river otter was also noted but none seen.

      Some photo's taken by Bill Bretsch during the trip can be viewed at the
      following site.
      http://www.telusplanet.net/bbretsch/index.html .

      Participants: Ted Hindmarch, Richard Klauke, Marsha Hayward, Bill Bretsch, and
      Taylor Ryerson.

      Submitted by
      Ted Hindmarch
      Gibbons, AB.