The Last And The First...

  • Guy J. Wapple
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2006
      Almost Happy 2007 My Birding Friends!!!

      In spite of what YAHOO says, it is still 2006 and the clock is
      ticking down towards midnight. I should be in bed, as it's early to
      rise tomorrow for the drive up the the Squaw Rapids CBC, but I'm a
      rail and used to short hours, so why should today be any different?!

      There will be the usual plethora of stories about all the CBC
      adventures somewhere down the line but not now. We had a great count
      at Biggar on the 27th, with co-incidentally 27 species reached as
      well! The highlight was two Am Crows present for the first time in
      the 36 year history of the CBC. We also had two nice bull Moose
      (semi-regular in the district now) and a new mammal added in the form
      of a wayward Red Squirrel!

      Yesterday Brandon and I did the Harris area. While we had another
      great weather day, the birds didn't exactly co-operate and we ended
      up with only 15 species. Normally the gray-phase Gyr we observed
      just NE of Zealandia would be the highlight of the count. However,
      in the village of Harris we had the good fortune to discover a group
      of 4 Eurasian Collared-Doves. Not only were they new to the CBC
      list, they were a new---albeit somewhat expected---addition to the
      Rosetown-Biggar district list as well.

      As my friend Mary Ann mentioned earlier, why don't we share
      our "last" birds of '06 and the first birds of 2007. While driving
      downtown to pick Morgan up at Am Eagle late this pm, a single Black-
      billed Magpie flew out of the University across my path. Hopefully
      tomorrows first bird will be a little more exciting as Ryan, Nick and
      I make our way northeast of Saskatoon...

      Cheers,

      Guy Wapple,
      S'toon
    • Scott Wilson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
        My last was a Great Horned Owl calling at 7 pm on New Year's Eve.

        I compared it with my Peterson's tape and it matched the GHO, not the
        Short-eared Owls which were around a lot earlier in the month.

        Happy New Year to all,
        Scott
      • gwapple2001
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
          HAPPY 2011 FELLOW BIRDERS!

          We have been camped out at my sister and brother-in-laws in Estevan the past couple of days. As has been my custom the past number of years, I have started the year off with a weeks vacation.

          Kathy Hedegard and I did the Estevan CBC yesterday. It was a very cold (-35 wind chill) day, but we still managed to find a very respectable 26 species. Details will hopefully follow when the "official" tally is complete, but I will mention a couple of highlights.

          We were somewhat hampered with very heavy fog over Boundary Reservoir, but did manage to find Canada Goose, Mallard, a male Ring-necked Duck, Com Merganser and several Am Coots. Other notables included: Rough-legged Hawk, Bald Eagle (seen by my wife Sandra and her sis Shauna while driving out to visit friends west of town!), Eur Collared-Doves, N Flicker and Dark-eyed Junco. Bad misses included House Finch, Com Grackle (seen daily at Kathy's, but we were stretched too thin for time!), Sharp-shinned Hawk (also seen regularly) and Great Horned Owl.

          My last bird of 2010 was a female Ring-necked Pheasant seen in the backyard of Kathy's friends the Dies at the west end of town, just before sunset.

          Cheers,

          Guy,
          Currently In The Sunny But Chilly Southeast
        • gwapple2001
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2013
            Fellow Birders,

            As has been our custom the past ten years or so, Sandra and I find ourselves down in Estevan to ring in the New Year. We are at our usual "hotel", her sister Shauna and our bro-in-law Craig's house here in the Energy City.

            I hope that everyone had a wonderful Christmas season filled with family, friends, food and cheer, as well as a few birds!

            I've been busy as usual the past couple of weeks and have completed seven CBC's so far. While I hope to share the results with you, as the "King Of Broken Promises", how about if I just say that I will 'eventually' get them posted here?!

            In the meantime, as Kathy mentioned earlier, in spite of the current deep-feeze, we hope to get Estevan's count done tomorrow. Sadly, due to prior commitments, we have to be back in S'toon just when the temperatures are supposed to moderate!

            While it was a bitterly cold day (minus 35 C with the slight east breeze), late this afternoon I went for a quick stroll around the block to try and find my "last" bird of 2013.

            As it turned out, it was a challenge to find ANY living creature!!! However, I did manage find a couple Eurasian Collared-Doves at a nearby feeder. There weren't even any House Sparrows there! Or anywhere else for that matter!!!

            I later saw a large flock of Rock Pigeons flying over downtown, so it looked like those introduced "rats with wings" would have to be my final species.

            Therefore, I was very happy to find one lone Black-capped Chickadee near S and C's on my way back to their place. So that was my last bird of the year!

            As for my last mammal, it was going to be a Mule Deer observed waaay back on Dec. 27th during the Biggar CBC. In the hundreds of clicks since that day, I haven't seen anything moving in the countryside.

            However, again I was reprieved. Not far from Shauna and Craig's, I managed to see a pair of Fox Squirrels.

            They were growling and chasing one another in a large elm tree, which culminated in them briefly, but furiously mating.

            I guess that's ONE way to beat the cold!!!

            Wish us luck tomorrow and I look forward to everyone else's "last and first" bird/mammal observations.

            Cheers and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!!!!

            Guy,
            Temporarily in Estevan
          • jim k
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2014
              Good day
              I know this is supposed to be a forum to discuss bird sightings but. Normally I perch on the side lines reading what everyone has to say but the comment comparing pigeons to rats is a bit much. Rock doves known by most as pigeons are well established across most of the province-to keep saying they are introduced and evasive is getting tired and old, they are no more introduced than the ring neck pheasant or grey partridge that never get accused of being invasive (perhaps because they have a price on their head and are hunted so the gov't makes money off them) At any rate I think the time has come to stop accusing birds of being introduced and invasive as most of the species (house sparrows included) have
              been around a lot longer than most of our ancestors that settled this country and have found a niche in our current ecosystems. Pigeons, sparrows and all the rest of the introduced species are beautiful birds in their own right but comparing pigeons to rats is a bit more than I can handle.
              Birds at the feeders:
              80-100 sparrows, one female downy woodpecker, 30 - 40 pigeons (rock doves), 2 blue jays.
              Jim