Pine Grosbeaks & Common Redpolls

  • lotsalilies123
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2006
      The snow brought us some new visitors to the yard today - two Pine
      Grosbeaks and the reappearance of 2 Common Redpolls. The Grosbeaks
      were feeding on my green ash trees, loaded with seeds this year.
      Hopefully they eat each and every last seed - much less for me to weed
      next year - and then they can move over to the giant Manitoba Maple,
      also full of seeds and equally as weedy.

      A few Housefinch have found their way to our feeders, but there are
      about 20 or more at the BOSS feeder at work. Male and female Downy
      and Hairy woodpeckers are here frequently as well. It seems I rarely
      look out the window without seeing a woodpecker. I think the Black
      Capped Chickadee population is large this year, always plenty of them
      around. A few Ravens and Magpies, as well as quite a few Blue Jays,
      and I see the flock of Bohemian Waxwings from time to time.

      A couple of days ago while I was walking on the road that runs along
      the big slough, a lone Northern Shoveler came in for a landing.
      Perhaps that clear ice looked like open water to him, but that landing
      turned into skidding along the ice for a distance. Other than geese
      still feeding in the fields, there are no water birds around.

      Sharon @ Ituna
    • lotsalilies123
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2006
        Oh, those 2 Pine Grosbeak turned into 10 this morning, and there's
        many more Housefinches as well.

        Sharon

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "lotsalilies123"