Oct.30 at Pasqua Lake- my first message

  • Lorne Robb
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
      Morning front-window viewing saw our 3 blue jays, red-breasted nuthatch, chickadees, buffleheads,coots. & Canada Geese. A later walk in the hills saw my first pileated woodpecker who showed little fear as he moved from tree to tree a few yards in front of me. I hope he's still there today.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
        Lorne
        Welcome to the group. Your post regarding the Pileated Woodpecker is particularly interesting as these are I think fairly rare within the Qu'Appelle. Manley Callin who wrote the definitive book "Birds of the Qu'Appelle" cited just four records during the interval of 1857-1977. Two others were added in the supplement for 1982 & 1984.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
          Yes, Bob. I have never seen or heard of a pileated w/pecker in this
          area & I've been around the Qu'Appelle forever. My family saw one a
          few years ago at Brightsand Lake & I was sorry to have missed it. It
          was a pleasant surprise yesterday, but I could not find him today.

          LR