Return trip to Saskatoon, and whats with the Ravens

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hello everyone

      Well I left back home to Saskatoon from Regina, and decided to
      detour past the north end of Last Mountain Lake (LM).
      As my posting on Saturday I noticed higher numbers than usual of
      Common Raven, well the Raven was also quite prevalent on my return
      trip as well. My first two birds were just north of the Condie
      turnoff, and my next ones were a group of 7 birds in a field near
      Strasbourg, and between Strasbourg and the north end of LM I counted
      12 more. Magpies were also seen in good numbers. I netted 4
      Swainson's hawk, 6 Red-tailed, and 11 Northern Harrier, with 4 of
      those at LM. In contrast to my trip to Regina, Canada Geese were
      largely absent, and were replaced with huge flocks of Snow Geese
      (both white and blue-phase), and I was able to pick out 5 Ross's
      Geese. It was the area around LM where most of the Geese were seen,
      however flocks were in the air at many locations during my trip. My
      first Sandhill Cranes were at the Craven-highway #6 turnoff, with a
      small flock of 8 birds. Sandhill Cranes were also seen in good
      numbers at LM, with flocks on the ground numbering perhaps 10,000.
      At one point I was scanning a large gathering of Sandhill Crane at
      LM when I noticed on the fringe of the group a large flash of white,
      I grabbed my binoculars in the hope that it was a Whooping Crane,
      but alas it was a Pelican. I spent about an hour in the area and
      found many Great Blue Heron (~8) but not Egrets or Ibis at I had
      hoped. There were several Western Grebes present, and 4 Red-necked
      Grebe as well. Coots, Shovelers and Ruddy Duck were by far the most
      common duck species. Noteworthy perhaps was 2 Greater Yellowlegs,
      and 2 Willet. Good numbers of Western Meadow Lark are still in the
      area, as are Horned Lark, and a smattering of Savannah Sparrow. I
      saw two large groups of Blackbirds, one around Bulyea, and the other
      close to the Govan turnoff. Of the Blackbirds, most were Red-winged,
      but I did find 3 Cowbirds, and 2 Rusty.

      All in all a great trip, and the countryside was so vibrant with
      colour.

      Greg
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
        Ps I forgot to mention that I also saw a flock of ~25 Franklin's
        Gull having fun in the wind near the Craven Jamboree grounds.