Morning birding in Wascana Park (Regina) on Sept. 05.

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2006
      This morning I began birding just after 8:00 a.m. by scoping the edge of
      Goose Island, Wascana Marsh, from the Mountain Site. I counted 8
      Black-crowned Night Herons and 2 Great Blue Herons.

      Next, I briefly visited Goose Hill Park. The place was literally full of
      Robins and Common Grackles. One Warbling Vireo and several Yellow-rumped
      Warblers were here also.I left quickly because the swarming Robins caused
      the other birds to be difficult to approach. These are the northern or
      forest nesting Robins which are much less confiding than our local nesters.
      Last year these flocked into Regina roosting mainly in the Cedar Trees near
      the Nursery area well into the autumn.

      Next, I explored the area of the Main Wascana Park on the north side of the
      Lake. The location near the playground, the washrooms and adjacent to the
      Swimming Pool is great place for early morning birding prior to the increase
      of jogger and family traffic in the area, later.

      There was also large flock of Robins and Cedar Waxwings here particularly
      near the crabapple trees, or the location we designate as the " Orchard
      Area." Also present in the vicinity was another Warbling Vireo and a
      Blue-headed Vireo. Warblers here including numerous Yellow-rumped, several
      Black & White,several Yellow and a few Orange crowned Warblers. The best
      bird was a fall adult Connecticut Warbler. This bird was also seen by Jim
      Cummings. (In addition to the other field marks note the distinctive
      feathering on the vent which extends nearly to the tip of the tail.)

      Also present in the roving mixed flocks with the warblers and vireos were 2
      (male & female) Downy Woodpeckers, 1 Male Hairy Woodpecker,1 Rose-breasted
      Grosbeak, 5 Chipping Sparrows, 4 Red-breasted Nuthatches and 3 Black -capped
      Chickadees. These later two species in particular provided a vocal clue to
      the location of the main group.

      Nine Northern Flickers were in the Spruce Grove at the edge of the
      Playground. I also heard on White-winged Crossbill there;however, it left
      before I could get a good look.

      A Merlin was heard calling nearby as well.

      On another note, I see that Wal-Mart in Regina sells the BackRoad Mapbooks.
      In addition to Southern Saskatchewan they carry Southern Manitoba plus
      Southern and Central Alberta.

    • valndoyle
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2006
        That's interesting about the robins Bob. We've had an influx of many
        bird species here lately and never thought of our front lawnful of
        robins as perhaps being being of a different temperament due to
        habitat. We're meeting our grandchildren at Wascana tomorrow a.m.
        so 'see the birdie' will be the phrase of the day!

        Val Thomas