Lewis' Woodpecker

  • Kathy Hedegard
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hello Everyone:

      Wow, I've finally decided to post something after a few months of laziness.

      The Lewis' Woodpecker is the reason. Thank You so much, Ryan, Mary Ann, and to all others who travelled out to Sask. Landing and described where to locate this bird so well.

      I had a long-planned trip to Windermere BC and stopped at Saskatchewan Landing the first night I was on the road. The next morning (August 24th), I headed over to the beach and picnic part; by 8:30 the Lewis' flew into the area, perching on either of the two dead spars and occasionally moving into the poplars.

      What a beautiful bird. This was a Lifer for me. THANKS AGAIN, RYAN.

      At the time of my sighting, 3-4 young Flickers and 1 young Brown Thrasher were flying around and settling with the Lewis' wherever it went. At times it looked as if these were making fawning and begging motions such as those made by a young bird waiting to be fed by the parent. The Lewis' ignored the other birds.

      Eventually the others flew off and left the Lewis' alone; I watched it for about 30 minutes before it flew off elsewhere. By then I needed to be on the road again myself.

      A pair of Merlins were harrassing the area. Another quite spectacular event that morning was finding a collection of 20-25 Canada Warblers (I hadn't seen that many together, ever).

      I stopped into Sask Landing for a night on my return trip, two nights ago. No Lewis' this time (not to say it isn't still around). Only a few robins were left at that particular viewing area. About 12 young Northern Flickers were flocking together. A few were red-shafted. This time, the Merlins were on the hunt and I think the flicker number decreased by at least 1 bird that morning.

      I camped at the Bearspaw Campground; got there at dusk and didn't take a birding walk around the place! I was eager to get over to check out the beach/picnic area, so I didn't wander around in the morning either. This isn't to say I would have seen the Townsend's Warbler anyway - but I might have! Tsk.

      So while I haven't been posting, I have been reading about what the rest of You have been doing this summer. Great Sightings Everyone. Excellent Pictures, Nick and Pete.

      Kathy in Estevan

    • J Frank Roy

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
          Yes, it was that same morning, August 24th. The birds were at the 'other' end of the beach parking lot area (that is, the easternmost parking lot). It was a slightly chilly, cloudy morning, there had been a bit of rain earlier. The grass was very wet - more dew than rain, probably. The warblers were flitting around in a cluster of shrubs.

          I had just seen a lone Canada Warbler in my yard in Estevan the day before. I usually don't get to see these little beauties very often.

          Kathy in Estevan