Valeport Marsh Today.

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      Today, I had a number of sightings near the Valeport Picnic Site. Among the
      more interesting birds were:

      7-Clark's Grebes with one pair having 2 smaller greblings. Another adult was
      with large juvenile.

      2-American Bitterns

      1-Great Blue Heron.

      600+ Franklin's Gulls including many juveniles

      150+- Black Terns including many juveniles

      70+ Forster's Terns also including many juveniles.

      1-vocal Virginia Rail--giving the 'squealing call.'

      18- Pied-billed Grebes. Two family groups comprised of five fairly large
      juveniles plus adults.

      1-adult Turkey Vulture.

      2-male Wood Ducks in molt.

      Many duck broods including Ruddy Ducks, Redhead, Canvasbacks and Mallards.

      Brown's Slough

      1- Sedge Wren

      2+Marsh Wrens

      16-Black Terns including many juveniles.