885Mountain Bluebirds

  • Dave MacDonald
    Apr 1, 2002
      Howdy fellow bird-nerds:

      I have just recently tuned into your bird group and really enjoy it, thanks.  I just thought I would relate my bluebird sightings from Saturday.  I went on a mission to clean out some of the bluebird houses near Craven.  I managed to do the grid from highway #6 to Craven, then north up to the Kannata Valley turnoff (near Silton); a total of about 40 boxes.  Most of the houses sure needed cleaning; I found everything from partially mummified tree swallows to live mice that were using the houses as "hopper bins".  I guess the cleaning came just in time, as the Mountain Bluebirds appear to be back in the area; I observed 7 between #6 and Craven (mostly closer to #6).  I hope they are able to handle the snow ok!  I also got a great look at a Bald Eagle just north of Craven, near the lake.  He actually seemed to be enjoying the 100k winds (unlike myself)!

      Cheers

      Dave

      Dave MacDonald
      Landscape Ecologist
      Saskatchewan Wetland Conservation Corporation
      Email: dave.macdonald@...
      Tel:  (306) 787-9743
      Fax: (306) 787-0780

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic