8396Re: [Saskbirds] Downy Woodpecker

  • Bailey and Bjorklund
    Jan 1, 2006
      > Happy New Year's Day to everyone. I don't know if we're doing the
      > first sighting of the new year but in case we are, ours was the Downy
      > Woodpecker pecking suet mixture off the poplar tree. Glad he made it
      > up before the House Sparrows, who came in second.
      >
      > Val - McTaggart

      Nice going, Val! Here in Weyburn, I am still pondering how to go for my
      walk without seeing a pigeon first. What I really had wanted to do was get
      up and drive out of town before daylight and somehow find a Great Horned Owl
      as my first year bird. That did not happen, and so now I have to think how
      to drive the truck with my eyes closed, until I get to that magic spot that
      will give me an owl. It was all so easy, back in ancient times on the farm,
      when all I had to do was look out, and there was one or the other of the
      pair of GHOW, just waiting for me. Martin said we could have walked to the
      end of the street in the dark and heard a Partridge. But that's not good
      enough! Happy New Year to all birders!!

      Carol