      From: micknsharon
      To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 10:25 PM
      Subject: [Saskbirds] Tundra Swans

      Nicely prompted Bob!!! We took a drive south east from Saskatoon to
      Clavet Mine this evening, Thursday 30th June. For those who do not
      know the area this is on the west side of Patience Lake, south of
      highway 5. Although Patience Lake is alkaline there are several
      small fresh water lakes beside the mine. Yes there is a pair of
      Tundra Swans and they have two nice sized cygnets, lets hope they
      make it to flying age and beyond. Also around this area were quite a
      few Bank Swallows 20+, there is quite an extensive area of sand to
      the west of the road running past the mine and obviously a breeding
      colony of this species. Also seen were Black Tern, Forsters Tern,
      Eastern Kingbird, Western Kingbird, Swainson's Hawk, Northern
      Harrier, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Red-winged Blackbird, American
      Avocet, Gadwall with young, Green-winged Teal. A couple of miles
      north of the mine we saw Mountain Bluebird with young on the wing
      and a real close view of a Red-tailed Hawk. We saw three White-
      tailed Deer in the area one of which was accompanied by its still
      small and spotted fawn.

      Regarding Tundra Swans, I was in conversation with one of the zoo
      keepers (sorry if that is not the politically correct term to use
      these days) earlier in the year, who told me that a pair return to
      the zoo's wildfowl pond every summer. I haven't been in the zoo this
      summer but if we have any members who may know a little more perhaps
      we could be enlightened.

      Cheers,
      Mick,
      Saskatoon.