      From: "Jared Clarke" <clarkejared16@...>
      To: <Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 2:58 PM
      Subject: Re: [Saskbirds] Re: Goose Round Up

      > Hi Mick,
      > Sorry about the delay in responding but I haven't had time to get on the
      computer very much at all this week. Some interesting questions, and my
      apologizes on my assumption that most people were familiar with what has
      been going on in Regina lately. Please keep in mind I am speaking
      individually and not on behalf of Wascana Center Authority.
      > Before I answer your questions I should really paint a picture of what
      things have been like in Regina recently . Since Wascana Lake has been
      deepened and a complete paved path around the lake has been put in, many
      more people are using the park for walking, running, biking, etc. Now for
      those of you who get the Leader Post you'll already know about this but for
      those of you who don't, Bob Hughes senior editor of the paper, has his own
      opinion section on the 2nd page of the paper. Hughes has (in my opinion and
      many others) taken it on as his personal obligation on behalf of all Regina,
      to try turn everyone against the geese, because of the abundance of
      droppings in the park! It got to the point where almost every second day he
      was slamming the geese in his article, he became obsessed with it. Now I
      don't have a problem with voicing your opinion, but atleast have some sort
      of realistic resolution to solve this "problem" that seems to be on
      everyones mind. Enough said...
      > Evidently he turned a lot of people against the geese.
      > But anyways, sorry about the little rant, back to your questions. How
      long does the park stay goose free? Well we moved the magority of the geese
      however there are still quite a few around, mostly adult birds. Once fall
      migration begins numbers will increase a great deal in the park. And in the
      spring next year more birds will return to the park to nest. Wascana Park
      is like paradise for the geese, no natural predators, people feed them
      daily, and lots of habitat to nest in!
      > How much does it cost?
      > Cost is relatively low, mostly Bob Ewart, Julia, and myself rounded up
      geese, along with a few other Wascana Center Authority emlpoyees, plus a
      coordinator who is a volunteer. All our expenses are is gas, to and from,
      food, and a hotel bill.
      > Do we band the birds?
      > No, it's simply to move the birds out of the area.
      > Why Cumberland Lake?
      > I should have made myself clearer in my last post. The lake is huge!
      There is so much room for the birds, so much habitat for them to choose. We
      released the birds at the boat launch, I think naturally there are never
      many birds around the boat launch at any lake. I think the lake is choosen
      because it is so isolated, the birds can become less dependent on humans and
      live a more natural life. Once the birds get out of the crates they start
      calling to each other, and they seem fine.
      > Goose round up has been going on for years, to try and keep the population
      from getting to high. But in all reality it is just a temporary solution.
      The birds return. But aslong as people continue to complain about them, it
      will probably continue to happen. I would much rather ship birds up north
      for a few months, then do what others have suggested - take them all out to
      a field on the first day of hunting season and invite all the hunters from
      Regina!! So what we do shuts people up for a little while anyways, and
      saves the geese.
      > I don't understand how people come to the park wanting to enjoy nature,
      but don't want deal with the geese cause they crap on the lawn. It
      frustrates me how people want "nature lite", a nice manicured nature where
      they won't get dirty! My response - Don't come to the park then!
      > So I hope I have answered your questions Mick, if you've got any more
      please ask.
      > Jared

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic