3961Re: First birds of 2004

  • Mary Ann
    Jan 1, 2004
      Impressive first bird of the year, Harv... and even better to have 10
      of them!!!

      My first bird of 2004.... a Mountain Ash tree full of 30 - 40
      Bohemian Waxwings!!! (My first bird of 2003 was a beautiful male
      House Finch, sporting his bright red suit, followed up shortly by his
      lovely Mrs. House Finch!!) My last bird I saw in 2003 were 100's of
      Rock Pigeons flying in the downtown area of Swift Current (my last
      bird of 2002 were the flocks of pigeons, too... and around the same
      time of day in the same area, and no doubt the same flocks!!!)

      So far (at 9:30 AM), in addition to the Bohs (there are a couple
      large flocks of 40'ish per flock flying around right now, landing and
      flying up from our tree and the neighbours' trees), I've also been
      watching at least 5 House Finches (3 males, 2 females) & RB
      Nuthatches (at least 2 of the 4 we've been gettting) at the feeders,
      along with a handful of House Sparrows.

      I wish everyone a very happy, healthy, and safe 2004!! HAPPY NEW
      YEAR, and HAPPY BIRDING!!!!

      - Mary Ann, Swift Current

      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Harv & Barb Lane" <hdlane@r...>
      > Howdy,
      > It took some work, not too much, but I managed to avoid
      accidentally identifying any other birds this morning until I'd gone
      out to the nearby Bald Eagle roost and counted 10 of them. It was
      still too dark to identify them from the road at 7:30 so I had to
      walk across a field to get a better look at the silhouettes. When I
      was still a quarter mile away an eagle came flying around from the
      other side of the bush and I got a nice view of the white head and
      tail. What a nice way to start 2004! Anybody else ever start the
      year with 10 Bald Eagles in Manitoba or Saskatchewan?