26807To Maple Creek and back (Jul 23)

  • M A
    Jul 26, 2014
      At 7:45AM, July 23, I headed west to Maple Creek for the day (closing down our office there in this next week so I needed to sit with retiring co-worker there to go through reports, filing, etc. that our office will be taking over at the end of this month...)

      En route to Maple Creek, I saw:

      a few ducks
      44 American White Pelicans (39 in the big 'lake' just north of the TransCanada Hwy approx 15 km east of Piapot, and another 5 in a small slough on the southside of the highway approx 11 km east of Piapot)
      2 Northern Harriers, 26 Swainson's Hawks, 5 Red-tailed Hawks
      Gulls
      Rock Pigeons, 3 Mourning Doves
      a few Eastern Kingbirds
      14 American Crows (including a flock of 7 west of Gull Lake)
      2 Common Ravens (east of Webb)
      Barn Swallows
      a few American Robins
      Red-winged Blackbirds, a few Western Meadowlarks, Brown-headed Cowbirds

      2 Pronghorn
      2 Richardson's Ground Squirrels

      From Hwy 1 to Maple Creek along Hwy 21, I saw 1 Northern Harrier, 1 American Crow, and a couple Red-winged Blackbirds.  I was surprised not to see any Swainson's Hawks there because I usually see at least 2 in that short stretch when I am in this area at this time of the year.

      I didn't go far into town... so only saw a few Rock Pigeons and House Sparrows, and, just as I walked out of the building when I was leaving, I saw my first ever Cecropia Moth (and with so much on my mind, I didn't even think to go grab my camera out of the vehicle, or even use my smart phone camera that I had on me!!  Oye!)  It was huge... and gorgeous!

      I left Maple Creek and headed for home at 3:00PM.  I did not see any birds along Hwy 21 up to the TransCanada Hwy.  On the drive home to Swift Current, I saw:

      a few ducks
      2 Northern Harriers
      23 Swainson's Hawks
      Gulls
      Rock Pigeons, 1 Mourning Dove
      a few Eastern Kingbirds
      a flock of 16 Black-billed Magpies (along the side of the highway just west of Swift Current)
      2 American Crows
      Barn Swallows
      Red-winged Blackbirds, a few Western Meadowlarks, Brown-headed Cowbirds

      3 Richardson's Ground Squirrels

      - Mary Ann, Swift Current, SK
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W