26672Northwest of Swift Current (May 20-30)

  • M A
    Jun 1, 2014
      Going to and from work the last half of May was nice... as I enjoyed all the birds, especially in the mornings.  It is so nice to start one's day seeing so many raptors and waterfowl, and more!!

      Along Hwy 32, I have been seeing:

      Canada Geese
      Mallards, Blue-winged Teals, Northern Shovelers, Northern Pintails, Canvasbacks
      1 or 2 Northern Harriers, at least 5 or 6 Swainson's Hawks, 1 Red-tailed Hawk as well as at least two occupied nests (one must have a Swainson's hawk in it because there is always a Swainson's Hawk flying or sitting on a nearby powerpole)
      American Coots
      a few Killdeer, at least 2 Marbled Godwits, Wilson's Phalaropes, and unidentified shorebirds
      Franklin's Gulls
      Rock Pigeons, a few Mourning Doves
      2 sometimes 3 adult Great Horned Owls on or near nests with young (one nest has one youngster, and the other nest has three)
      several Black-billed Magpies, several American Crows
      several Horned larks
      a few American Robins
      30+ European Starlings
      a few Red-winged Blackbirds, a few Western Meadowlarks, Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Common Grackles, and Brown-headed Cowbirds
      House Sparrows

      There have also been a small herd of up to 8-10 Pronghorn bachelors.

      Along the Fosterton grid road I have been seeing:

      Canada Geese
      Gadwalls, Mallards, Blue-winged Teals, Northern Shovelers, Northern Pintails, Canvasbacks, Redheads, Scaup species
      2 Northern Harriers, at least 3 Swainson's Hawks
      American Coots
      a few Killdeer
      a few American Avocets, at least 2 Willets, at least 2 Marbled Godwits, Wilson's Phalaropes, and a few unidentified shorebirds
      a few Franklin's Gulls
      Rock Pigeons , Mourning Doves
      a few Black-billed Magpies, a few American Crows
      several Horned Larks
      a few American Robins
      25+ European Starlings
      a few Red-winged Blackbirds, a few Western Meadowlarks, Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Common Grackles, and Brown-headed Cowbirds
      1 American Goldfinch (May 29 & 30)
      House Sparrows

      a few Richardson's Ground Squirrels (not many!!)
      up to 7 or 8 Pronghorn bachelors - usually laying around

      At the Compressor Station, I have been seeing /or hearing about:

      Canada Geese (flying over)
      Mallards
      2 Swainson's Hawks (flying over the immediate area or sitting on the fence surrounding the compressor station)
      at least 4 Killdeer adults, and 4 new fledglings (from the nest the summer students, etc. had staked around so to prevent the nest being destroyed by equipment)
      at least 6 Mourning Doves
      at least 4 Black-billed Magpies, 4 American Crows
      Horned Larks
      a few Barn Swallows
      at least 2 House Wrens singing (heard only)
      a few American Robins
      30+ European Starlings
      at least 2 pairs Yellow Warblers
      a few Chipping Sparrows & Clay-colored Sparrows
      Red-winged Blackbirds, Western Meadowlarks, a few Common Grackles, Brown-headed Cowbirds
      at least 4 American Goldfinches
      many House Sparrows

      a few Richardson's Ground Squirrels
      Garter Snakes (I haven't seen one yet, but the summer students have been seeing a few)

      - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current, SK
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W