26147Posting request

  • Donna Bruce
    Feb 6, 2014

      Nature Sask recently received this request.  I'm hoping that if any Saskatoon folks might have a lead or be willing to help Dr. Sale you will contact him directly.  Sounds like it could be interesting!
      Donna Bruce

      Dear Sirs

       I am a UK based falcon researcher. In the past I have written several books on Arctic species, including one with a Russian colleague on Gyrfalcons which won the US Wildlife Society Book of the Year ( a rare honour for non-Americans). I am currently working on a book which includes the Merlin. Here in the UK Merlins are moorland birds, but I am aware that they have become urban-dwellers in North America, especially in Saskatoon. I am very keen to include information on these city dwelling birds in my book. There is a lot of information on them in the literature, but I am also interested in using photos. Ideally I would take these myself (and will be in Canada during this year’s breeding season), but to make visiting Saskatoon worthwhile I really need to be able to guarantee to be able to get into a position from where it would be possible to spend a couple of hours with line of sight to an occupied nest and to watch chicks being fed. Is this possible? And if so, is it possible for you to put me in contact with someone who might be able to help me?

      I will be very grateful for any help or information you may be able to provide.

      Best wishes

      Dr Richard Sale