26138Broadview Area Bird update

  • Donald Weidl
    Jan 31, 2014
      Hi folks.  I was in Grenfell yesterday  and the Red-bellied Woodpecker is still coming to the feeder on a daily basis.  The Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon race) also survived the very cold weather.

      House Sparrows dominate my feeders in Broadview; however, a Northern Shrike usually shows up twice a week to scatter the flock of over 80.

      Regular visitors to the feeders are as follows; Hairy Woodpecker 3, Downy Woodpecker 3, White-breasted Nuthatch 2, and Black-capped Chickadee 4.  House Finches have disappeared from town and American Goldfinches have not been present since before Christmas.  Four Fox Squirrels and one Grey Squirrel also feed regularly on the sunflower seeds.

      Don from Broadview