      Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:32 PM
      Subject: [Saskbirds] Birding at Pike Lake Provincial Park.

      Yesterday the sunshine and warm temperatures inspired Reta and I to drive out to Pike lake. We took the low road out to the north end of the lake then Snake Trail into the park. We put a variety of bird food in the empty feeder at the interpretive center then sat back to watch the response to the feeding talk spread out. What started with two Black-capped  Chicadees soon brought in 12 more of that species. Then four White-breasted Nuthatches joined them. Next came a Blue Jay and then a male Hairy Woodpecker. On the drive out we encountered Common Ravens, Black-billed Magpies, Snow Buntings (50), House Sparrows, Rock Pigeons, Great Horned Owl(1) and Bohemian Waxwings(12). We looked in vain for Red Polls. There must be a great crop of birch seeds in the north. Gordon in Saskatoon.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic