23880Swift Current area

  • M A
    Oct 7, 2012
      Yesterday (Oct 6), Larry was doing yardwork, so I went for a drive in
      the afternoon.... hoping to see at least some hawks and Sandhill Cranes.

      I headed west... stopping at the Junction Hwys 1 & 32 Fish Pond. Not
      much there -- a few Mallards, 2 unidentified grebes, & 1 American Coot.
      I headed north up Hwy 32 to the Fosterton grid road.... not much there
      either - 1 Black-billed Magpie and some Rock Pigeons on the roof of an
      old barn in a farmyard.

      Along Fosterton grid road up to the Compressor Station, I saw 1 Mallard,
      2 Black-billed Magpies, a few Horned Larks, 13 Western Meadowlarks, 1
      Skunk, & 1 White-tailed Deer (there were 3 in the exact same location on
      Oct 5 when I was coming home from work.) Where did everything that was
      here just a couple days before go?

      I headed down the grid road at the Compressor Station junction south to
      Hwy 332. Not much - just 13 more Western Meadowlarks. I turned east
      at Hwy 332... and finally found 79 Sandhill Cranes in a shallow slough
      along with several Mallards, some unidentified ducks (too far for me to
      figure out without the spotting scope I forgot to bring), 2 Greater
      Yellowlegs, 3 Lesser Yellowlegs, a few peeps, & 2 Black-billed Magpies.
      I continued east, crossing Hwy 32 and continued east down the grid road
      until it dead-ended and I had to turn north or south. along that
      stretch of grid I saw 1 Black-billed Magpie and 2 Western Meadowlarks.
      I turned south -- to the 'Plewis Road', then continued east again to Hwy
      4.... along there I saw 1 more Black-billed Magpie, 13 Western
      Meadowlarks, and a few House Sparrows near acreages.

      No Hawks... and 13 seemed to be the magic number for Western Meadowlarks
      on almost every grid road I travelled!!

      I wasn't quite ready to go home yet, so checked out the SPARC (Research
      Station) grounds netting myself 28 Mallards, 5 Blue-winged Teals, 4
      Black-billed Magpies, 2 Gray Squirrels (1 Black and 1 Gray Phased), and
      3 Mule Deer. I went out to the Filtration Plant Reservoir -- and only
      saw a few Gulls flying around and 2 Mallards on the water. South of the
      Fairgrounds 4 Black-billed Magpies were pecking about in the grass.

      Along South Railway St East, I saw 30+ Eurasian Collared-Doves sunning
      themselves in the old trees, and a couple hundred Rock Pigeons flying
      around the railroad tracks or roosting under the overpass. One last
      stop -- at Burnett's Pond netted me 150+ Canada Geese, a few Mallards,
      and a couple Gulls flying around.

      2 1/2 hours later, several kilometers, and no hawks, but at least I did
      see the Sandhill Cranes.

      - Mary Ann, Swift Current
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W