23686Re: Re-Post

  • Val T
    Sep 1, 2012
      Actually it looked quite creative Kim, just like you are :-).

      Our last family of Purple Martins left this past Thursday. It was later than usual but at least the weather is still very good and lots of flying insects about. We also have had an unusual harvest of Monarch Butterflies flying about the yard, having had close to 70 caterpillars on our milkweed all told. We have a few jars in the house with chrysalis in yet to hatch out.

      I've been listening to the call of the Mourning Doves a lot recently since we have so many pairs in our blue spruce row and they call lots. If you notice (from doves in our yard anyway), it comprises the beginning notes of one of the songs from Fiddler on the Roof - C F C C C C.

      Several pairs of Barn Swallows are still flying around but imagine they'll take off soon. Brown Thrashers and Yellow-shafted Northern Flickers are also quite noticeable in the yard and Black-billed Magpies. We're not home much but hopefully will take stock tomorrow of what is still around. Off to Regina right now.

      Val T - McTaggart

      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, K M <dragonflypondsk@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone.
      >  It seems my email program and the Saskbirds email program are not that compatible! I didn't realize how my post looked until a friend emailed me. So here is the fixed version. Sorry about that. This post
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic