22793Swift Current area

  • M A
    Apr 9, 2012
      The past week saw more changes in the critters seen going to and from

      On April 2 & 3, I saw 2 Snowy Owls - both twice daily, morning and
      afternoon, ... one along Hwy 32 near the Cantuar/332 Hwy turnoff, and
      one along the Fosterton Road. April 2, the Fosterton Road one was
      sitting on the edge of the grid road... I worried about it sitting there
      (vehicles don't slow down much on that road), but I was happy to see it
      was sitting on the RM road sign the next morning.

      All week, I saw numerous Red-tailed Hawks and Northern Harriers....
      (April 3, there were at least 12 RT Hawks & 5 Northern Harriers along
      Hwy 32, and another 3 RT Hawks and 2 Northern Harriers along the
      Fosterton Road.) Several Gulls were flying around but could not ID them
      as we drove along.

      The mornings of April 2 & 3, there were also 200+ Greater White-fronted
      with maybe 50 Snow Geese in a field by Hwy 32, but April 4 they were
      gone. There were also a number of Canada Geese and several Ducks at
      almost every body of water along Hwy 32 and Fosterton Road.

      April 2, a flock of 100+ Blackbirds (could ID some Red-winged Blackbirds
      in the flock) were in a farmyard tree just east of the Compressor
      Station, and several Western Meadowlarks and Horned Larks along the
      Fosterton Road. Ducks and Geese are starting to stick around at the
      overflowing dugout approx 1 mile east of the Compressor Station. April
      4, 2 Killdeer flew up and off the road as we drove by after work.

      There were still a few flocks of 5-20 American Crows along Hwy 32 all
      week, as well as a few Black-billed Magpies.

      The morning of April 4, a pair of Coyotes seemed to be interested in a
      lone Pronghorn near Hwy 32... they were circling it when we drove by.

      Out at the Compressor Station, we have several European Starlings and a
      multitude of House Sparrows. There are also at least 4 Black-billed
      Magpies, 2 American Crows, several American Robins, a couple Western
      Meadowlarks, and at least 1 Killdeer (heard only). We have a Merlin
      that makes his presence known from time to time....

      Canada Geese were still flying over the Compressor Station area in small
      flocks of 25-50 all last week (Apr 2-4).

      Around noon April 2, one of the guys came in to get me to come see what
      were sunning themselves on the cement in the front of the office
      building (south side of the building) ---- 2 Red-sided Garter
      snakes!!! They were around all week. Not sure how impressed they would
      have been with the snow on April 5.

      We also have a number of Richardson's Ground Squirrels starting to make
      their presence known... There should be lots of food for the Red
      Foxes if Mama Fox decides to den up in the Compressor Station yard again
      this Spring.

      - Mary Ann, Swift Current, SK
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W