21891Winter Bird List 2011/2012

  • Ryan Dudragne
    Dec 13, 2011
      Good Evening All,

      As promised, here is the "Pre-CBC edition" of the Winter Bird List.
      Since the update last weekend we have added 11 more species for a total
      of 91 species so far. Great job!

      We are 5 birds ahead of this time last year, and again have a few
      bonuses. For one thing, having four of the six grebe species is pretty
      darned impressive, not to mention 21 species of waterfowl so far (and
      not a single Green-winged Teal yet...)! You can thank the mild weather
      for that.

      Other than the Northern Cardinal, which has become something of a
      semi-regular now, the most interesting addition is the report of four
      Red-necked Grebes at Gardiner Dam. It was cool to year them calling from
      the water! But 'cooler' than that is the fact that, as Dan mentioned,
      there have been no winter reports since 2001. Indeed, according to Al
      Smith's "Atlas of Saskatchewan Birds", I believe this species has not
      been recorded in the winter since one bird was counted on the Squaw
      Rapids (E.B. Campbell Dam) CBC on 22 December 1988. Previously, another
      bird was recorded on the Regina count (28 Dec. 1968) when the power
      station on Wascana Lake kept a patch of water open all winter.

      Anyway, enough of my rambling! As usual, please alert me to any errors
      of omission or otherwise, or to any questions or comments you may have.
      If you are planning to participate in any local bird counts over the
      next few weeks (which I encourage!), stay safe, good luck, and have fun!

      Best of Birding,

      Ryan Dudragne
      Regina, SK

      New to the list:/Greater White-fronted Goose*, Cackling Goose,
      Ring-necked Duck, Pied-billed Grebe*, Red-necked Grebe**, Wild Turkey,
      American Kestrel, Gyrfalcon, Mourning Dove, Northern Cardinal, Pine Siskin/

      Saskatchewan Winter Bird List 2011/2012

      1. Greater White-fronted Goose*
      2. Snow Goose*
      3. Cackling Goose