20737Swift Current area

  • M A
    May 15, 2011
      I wasn't going to let the strong winds stop me from getting out and
      about at some point this weekend, so today was the day I picked to go
      out and about!

      Around 11:00AM, I headed west of Swift Current, down a minor gravel road
      that eventually ended and I was on a dirt road somewhere between the
      City and Hwy 32. My first 'puddle' that I stopped at yielded me a
      couple pairs each of Mallards, Northern Shovelers, & Northern Pintails,
      1 Long-billed Curlew (my first of the year), 1 Marbled Godwit, a few
      Franklin's Gulls & 5 American Crows. Nice!!! It certainly was enough
      for me to keep driving...

      I eventually ended up at Hwy 32, so continued up the highway to the
      Fosterton grid road intersection, then turned around and went back to
      the City along Hwy 32.

      My drive (of just over 2 hours) netted me:

      Canada Geese - including 3 goslings (in a roadside ditch along Hwy 32)
      Ducks (Gadwalls, American Wigeons, Mallards, Northern Shovelers,
      Northern Pintails, Canvasbacks)
      3 Swainson's Hawks (a pair & a single - all flying)
      5 unidentified hawks (3 soaring high, and 2 on the ground but too far
      for me to I.D.)
      1 unidentified hawk on a nest (formerly occupied by Ferruginous Hawks,
      but not sure what this one was... she was laying prone, with her head
      tucked in, on the nest - all I could see was a brown back)
      American Coots
      2 Killdeer
      27 American Avocets (total of three different locations: flocks of 10,
      15, & 2...), 1 Long-billed Curlew, 1 Marbled Godwit
      over 60 Wilson's Phalaropes (a flock of 60+, and another 2 at a
      different location)
      Franklin's Gulls
      2 Rock Pigeons
      1 Black-billed Magpie, 11 American Crows
      Horned Larks
      3 European Starlings
      Red-winged Blackbirds, a few Western Meadowlarks

      2 Pronghorn
      Boreal Chorus Frogs (could hear them at almost every water body I
      stopped at)

      Just before I got to the TransCanada Highway, I stopped at the 'fish
      pond' by Hwys 1 & 32... It was so windy, everything was up against or on
      the opposite shores. I did see a few Canada Geese, several Mallards, a
      few Northern Shovelers, at least 14 Canvasbacks, 1 Swainson's Hawk
      soaring above, a couple American Coots, Red-winged Blackbirds, & I could
      hear Boreal Chorus Frogs.

      - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current, SK
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net