20724Swift Current area

  • M A
    May 14, 2011
      Out in the country, on the way to work every day, we are seeing the
      'usual' roadside birds... including but not limited to Canada Geese,
      ducks (Mallards, BW Teal, N. Shovelers, N. Pintails, etc), Am. Coots,
      Killdeer, Am. Avocets, Marbled Godwits, Gulls (lots of Franklin's), Rock
      Pigeons, a few Black-billed Magpies, American Crows, Horned Larks,
      Red-winged Blackbirds, a few Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Western
      Meadowlarks, etc.

      We are also seeing a number of hawks... at least 4 or 5 Swainson's
      Hawks, at least 3 or 4 Red-tailed Hawks, 2 Ferruginous Hawks, at least 4
      or 5 Northern Harriers, and May 12, there was a Merlin sitting on the
      Cantuar road sign along Hwy 32 in the later afternoon.

      Out at the Compressor Station, we have 2 Swainson's Hawks flying around
      throughout the day, and often a male Northern Harrier is flying nearby.

      We have all the 'usuals' in the yard... Black-billed Magpies, American
      Crows, American Robins, European Starlings, Red-winged Blackbirds,
      Western Meadowlarks, Common Grackles, House Sparrows, & several
      Richardson's Ground Squirrels. We have, for the past few days, been
      enjoying at least 5 White-crowned Sparrows. Our 5 Pronghorn are still
      hanging around in the field across from the station entrance gates.

      May 12, while doing Tractor Training, the instructor located a Killdeer
      nest with (I think) 3 eggs. He had our summer student mark the nest
      with a flag so it isn't run over when cutting grass, etc.

      May 13, our first WESTERN KINGBIRD arrived at the Compressor Station.

      - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current, SK
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net