20474Swift Current area

  • M A
    Apr 12, 2011
      On April 8, going to work, I was treated to seeing flocks of Canada
      Geese as well as a few here and there at the sloughs, several Mallards,
      2 Ferruginous Hawks flying together near Hwy 32, a few Gulls flying
      about, a few Rock Pigeons, 1 Mourning Dove, a few Black-billed Magpies,
      a good number of American Crows, a flock of 15-20 European Starlings,
      several Horned Larks, & a couple Western Meadowlarks. The bonus for the
      morning was a Coyote running in the ditch alongside the road as I drove
      west up the Fosterton grid (it did that for almost 1/2 kilometre before
      finally veering off and heading north across the field.)

      There is a lot of water out there... the dugout just east of the
      Compressor Station has completely disappeared into the middle of all the
      water. There are a number of Canada Geese, Mallards, and Northern
      Pintails taking full advantage of this. They are happy happy happy!

      On April 10, Larry and I went for a Sunday drive in the country, heading
      south of the City... across the old steel bridge that crosses over the
      Swift Current Creek, and over to an east-west grid road (local radio
      towers are along this road, to the east of where we turned onto the
      grid.) We then headed west on that grid all the way to just south of
      Webb (and just north of the Webb Hutterite Colony). From Swift Current
      to Webb, we saw Canada Geese, Mallards, 1 Rough-legged Hawk, 2 Great
      Horned Owls (one on the nest, and the mate sitting quietly a couple
      trees over - approx 1 km from Doretta/ Yellow Lake), 4 Black-billed
      Magpies, 2 American Crows, Horned Larks, a few Western Meadowlarks, 9
      Pronghorn, 1 Mule Deer, & lots of Richardson's Ground Squirrels. We
      drove around Webb - and saw 3 Rock Pigeons and 1 American Robin. From
      Webb, we headed home down the TransCanada. All we saw were 3 American
      Crows - one sitting on the edge of a nest. One thing we did note on
      Sunday afternoon was that there was still an awful lot of snow in the
      hills and coulees south of Swift Current. There are also a lot of still
      frozen over or mostly frozen over sloughs. Backroads are pretty much
      impassable... we didn't even attempt to go down the road that goes along
      Doretta Lake... just looked at it from the south end (it is still frozen
      for the most part.)

      Yesterday, on the way to work, we saw 29 TUNDRA SWANS in a slough just
      north of Fosterton grid road (with the first kilometre west of Hwy 32.)
      What a nice way to kickstart a Monday work week!!! We also saw the
      usual roadside birds.

      We eagerly await the arrival of more migrants...

      Happy birding everyone.

      - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current, SK
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net