20231Matador Area Birds

  • zedbander
    Mar 4, 2011
      The first American Tree Sparrow of the year for me showed up with the redpolls this morning.

      The three Red-breasted Nuthatches that were around all winter seem to have gone, but the lone American Goldfinch was just here again yesterday.

      A Hairy Woodpecker came to the feeders yesterday, ignoring the suet blocks and eating some mixed seeds instead.

      One of the Great Horned Owls was perched in plain sight this morning up against the trunk of a poplar. Usually I have to look deep into one of the spruce to find it.

      It has been a strange year for raptors. Snowy Owls have been scarce lately while falcons seem more abundant. There is a Prairie Falcon that roosts most days on the Pioneer elevator in Kyle, I've caught four this winter near Kyle and the last one I saw was unbanded. Marten S. and Mike B. have caught five or six Gyrfalcons this winter and have seen more. And, there is at least one Merlin in Kyle.

      Dan
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic