18793Matador Area Birds

  • zedbander
    Apr 29 7:14 AM
      Just enough rain to keep us out of the fields- seeding plan needs major revision but the grass looks a whole lot better.

      Last year I had a Northern Flicker raise five chicks in one of my kestrel boxes. I was told by a researcher familiar with the species that use of nestboxes was rare. A couple of days ago, I could hear a flicker hammering near a box I'd just put up, but I couldn't see the flicker. When I got closer, a head popped out of the box and froze there. When I left, the flicker resumed hammering away, inside the box! I've heard it several times since, so maybe I'll have a second brood of flickers in a nestbox in two years.

      On Monday there was a Eurasian Collared Dove here at the farm. They have been in Kyle for several years, but this is the first time I've seen one here.

      Also on Monday I saw my first Sharp-shinned Hawk of the year. It flushed the sparrows and pigeons near the shop, but didn't catch anything while I watched.

      The White-throated Sparrows showed up on Sunday. This morning there was a Lincoln's Sparrow with the WTSPs below the feeders.

      I've caught a few Common Grackles lately. The young ones are quite passive, male and female; the older males are much more confident and use their beaks well.

      I've been told of Burrowing Owls returning to three sites around Kyle, but I haven't seen any yet.

      Another Ferruginous Hawk nest taken by a Canada Goose (CAGOs deserve their "rats with wings" designation in my opinion, being destructive and invasive-I know rats have their place too, but preferably only as prey).

      Dan
      Matador, Sk
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic