18401Matador Area Birds

  • zedbander
    Mar 14, 2010
      Sadly, the snow is mainly gone from this part of West Central Saskatchewan. That means the Snowy Owls that were resident most of the winter have moved north. There are still owls passing through but they are mainly white-probable males.

      I did find an area south and east of Rosetown yesterday where I could see thirteen owls from one spot. It is very flat there and I could probably see most of four square miles, but still...

      This morning I went out at daybreak to see if there were still owls on our cultivated land, since we do have a little snow left. It was about -7C, but completely calm and clear. From the elevated vantage of the Matador Pasture Bull Field, I could see five Snowy Owls, which is three more than I saw at any time through the winter. One of them appeared to me to be a juvenile, the rest were very white. From that spot, I also saw six coyotes, a dozen Mule Deer, 35 pronghorn antelope, many Horned Larks and Snow Buntings, and a dozen Canada Geese. No Merlin or Prairie Falcon this time.

      The starlings are back in our yard, setting up house at a couple of yard lights.

      We had a Hairy Woodpecker here on and off all winter, and there was one here on Friday.

      I had as many as thirty redpolls at the feeders through the winter. There are still a few around.

      There was a Red-breasted Nuthatch at my feeders all winter, and I suspected there might be another, but this morning was the first time I saw two together.

      So far, we have four Great Horned Owls visible on nests, and quite a few yards where we've heard owls calling. In one abandoned yard northwest of Kyle, I watched a Great Horned Owl, likely the male by its call, go out in a field and catch a rodent, bring it back to the roof of the barn, and call until the other owl came to take the offering. Pretty good chance that that yard will have a nest.

      There was one Golden Eagle on a nest last weekend, but that seems early. It was on a new nest near the old one, so I suspect it was a trial sitting.

      Dan

      Matador
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic