      From: Ryan Dudragne
      To: Saskbirds
      Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 9:29 AM
      Subject: [Saskbirds] Re: Winter List

      You guessed it, Kathy! Welcome to December, may the winter listing
      games begin!

      I have slipped a bit on the year list this year (long awaited update to
      come), but that will be remedied shortly. In the mean time, while it
      may not feel like winter for everyone in the province yet with a mixture
      of brown and white across the province, 'tis the season for the birder's
      winter bird list. This runs from December 1st to February 28th.

      As per traditional winter bird listing rules observed across this great
      country (and beyond), the goal is to tally as many species as possible,
      and trying to squeeze in as many late migrants as we can find to give a
      well padded total at the end, and hopefully beat the previous season's
      total (eventually 113 were reported). Our long-term average (since
      01/02) is 111.7 species (SE = 1.35).

      [Any word on the Yellow-throated Warbler and Baltimore Oriole in Moose
      Jaw?? How about the Golden-crowned Sparrow in Cypress Hills?]

      A couple of simple courtesies exist to keep the listing fair and
      hopefully fun for everyone during the coldest and least "birdy" time of
      the year:

      -All reports are welcome; everyone is encouraged to put forth their
      sightings, as well as reliable ones that you may hear about.
      -The sooner reported, the better (although I certainly know that life
      can get in the way at times!), and the sooner they can be added to the list.
      -While unrelated, Christmas Bird Count summaries are great to read, and
      often turn up interesting birds and exciting additions.
      -Dress for the weather and stay safe on the roads!

      I will be updating the winter list on Saskbirds with moderate frequency
      especially for the first couple of weeks. As winter progresses,
      however, new species become increasingly difficult to find, and updates
      will be reduced accordingly. Look forward to the first update on either
      December 2nd or 3rd. This and subsequent updates will be titled "Winter
      Bird List 2009/2010).

      And once again , Blake Maybank will be hosting our list on his site as
      well as winter lists from every other Canadian Province, St. Pierre &
      Michelon (FR), and Iceland. These may be found here:
      http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/maybank/other/skwinter.htm

      Best of Birding,

      Ryan Dudragne
      Saskatoon, SK

      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Hedegard" <hedegardk@...> wrote:

      > Morning Birders:
      >
      > I don't know if we do a Winter List on SaskBirds any more, but I
      guess it starts today if we do - right?

      > It's snowing down here in Estevan and so far the only birds are
      Eurasian Collared Doves. Oops, and a Downy Woodpecker

      > I was going to say these doves aren't the smartest of birds. They
      don't realize there is food just under the light covering of this
      curious cold, white stuff on their usual feeding platform.