17820Matador Area Birds

  • zedbander
    Oct 21, 2009
      It was an odd day in that there didn't seem to be a lot of birds around. And yet..

      At 8:00 A.M., the juncos all started clicking away, and I looked up to see a juvenile Merlin high in a poplar. It let me walk under the tree and past before leisurely (for a Merlin) flying toward the barns.

      At noon I caught the first Northern Shrike of the fall, a plump juvenile.

      At 4:00 P.M. I briefly watched three late season female Red-winged Blackbirds at the lagoon as they moved up and down through the cat-tails.

      At 5:00 P.M. and 6:30 P.M. I got to handle first a juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk and then a young adult Sharp-shinned Hawk, both females in good shape.

      At dusk, one of the juvenile Great Horned Owls started squawking and hasn't stopped for the last three and a half hours. It keeps changing perches, sometimes just a few metres from the house.

      Meanwhile the saw-whets were arriving in pairs.

      Not bad for a "slow" bird day.

      Dan
      Matador, Sk
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic