17721Swift Current area

  • M A
    Oct 3, 2009
      This past week, it has been quite windy, so we didn't see a lot
      driving to and from work, but there were a few 'good' critters to see.

      Mid-morning, Sept 29, one of the guys I work with came in to tell me
      there was a 'pheasant or something' in the front of the office building.
      I went out to check - it was a beautiful Sharp-tailed Grouse. NICE!!!
      Another guy I work with told me a Merlin was diving at the sparrows last
      week in the Compressor Station yard.

      October 1 & 2, we saw Sandhill Cranes flying over the Compressor Station
      (Oct 1 -- 29 SACR, Oct 2 -- 17 SACR)

      Yesterday (Oct 2), out at work, it was warm enough (with a jacket on)
      for me to spend my morning coffee break out on the deck. We had a
      couple American Robins, at least 15 European Starlings, at least 20
      Yellow-rumped "Myrtle" Warblers, 15-20 White-throated & White-crowned
      Sparrows, & too many House Sparrows.

      On the way to work most days this past week, we saw:

      Canada Geese
      1 Northern Harrier
      2-3 Red-tailed Hawks
      Gulls
      a couple Mourning Doves (off and on this past week)
      a few American Robins (near a farmyard)
      Western Meadowlarks
      a herd of 8-11 Mule Deer (usually in the same place along Hwy 32.. just
      in slightly varying numbers)
      1-17 Pronghorns (seeing Pronghorn every day now)
      1 Coyote (Sept 30... it crossed Hwy 32 in front of us)

      On the way home, we have been seeing:

      1 Northern Harrier
      1-2 Red-tailed Hawks
      Gulls
      2 Black-billed Magpies (Oct 2)
      1 Common Raven (Oct 2 - near the intersection of Hwy 32 & Fosterton grid)
      a few Horned Larks
      a flock of 200+ LBJ's (Oct 2 - flying low over a field along the
      Fosterton grid)
      Western Meadowlarks
      a flock of 50+ Blackbirds
      1-21 Pronghorn