17450Swift Current area

  • M A
    Aug 1, 2009
      Last Sunday (July 26) was a much nicer day than the HOT HOT of the
      past few days prior (High July 26 was 26.5C here!) That afternoon,
      Larry and I went for a bit of a drive north and a bit west of the City.
      We saw most of the usual roadside birds... including Northern Harriers,
      Swainson's Hawks, Red-tailed Hawks, a couple Ferruginous Hawks,
      Killdeer, an Upland Sandpiper, Gulls, American Crows, 1 Loggerhead
      Shrike (out at the compressor station where I work!), Horned Larks, Barn
      Swallows, American Robins, European Starlings, Vesper Sparrows,
      Red-winged Blackbirds, Western Meadowlarks, Yellow-headed Blackbirds,
      Brewer's Blackbirds, Brown-headed Cowbirds, & House Sparrows.

      Along one gravel/dirt road, we saw 19 hawks hanging around all together
      -- a little over half of these hawks were in the air and the rest were
      sitting on fence posts... some appeared to be moulting. I think most
      were Red-tailed Hawks, though there were a couple Swainson's Hawks
      flying above.

      After that, we saw several more hawks... mostly Swainson's Hawks and a
      few Northern Harriers & Red-tailed Hawks. (The odd occasion I actually
      didn't keep track of numbers!)

      Going to and from work this week, we were seeing the 'usual' roadside
      birds on the grid roads... There is highway work being done on Hwy 32
      (finally!!!) so not seeing as much of the 'usuals'. We are starting to
      see more Crows together... a couple days this week, there were 12
      American Crows together on the highway (hanging around near the
      Fosterton road/ Hwy 32 intersection). One afternoon, coming home, we saw
      20-25 Pronghorn laying in a field near the grid road we were traveling
      on (we always see anywhere from 1-6 or 7, so the 20-25 were an added bonus!)

      Out at work, we have the usuals as well... including a number of
      Western Kingbirds and a few Eastern Kingbirds (seems to be a good year
      for WEKI and EAKI out in our compressor station yard this year...
      again!) The Barn Swallows are still on eggs on the side of the office
      building -- as mentioned in previous posts, this is their 2nd nesting
      this summer (for the 2nd year in a row!!) Certainly a productive pair!
      The eggs should be hatching soon. The summer student reports almost
      daily that there are a number of Killdeer running around all over the
      place out there, as well as a few Mourning Doves still on nests. She
      found an abandoned B.Oriole nest - one egg was broken, on the ground and
      no BAOR nearby. I have been seeing and hearing the male off and on but
      have not seen the female for quite awhile.

      - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic