15630Re: Catching up bigtime

  • Greg
    Sep 1, 2008
      Hello good point and thanks for pointing it out
      in 2007 I had a total of 15 American Bittern, but my 52 species this
      year was far below last years 68, for the past 3 years I have always
      found Red-eyed Vireo, for example, but this year I dipped.

      Willowbrook is about 40km north of Melville. You are right there is
      much water, and the area is sparsely populated I have done this
      route now for 4 years and have seen only two cars). The route offers
      a very diverse habitat with open farm areas and pastureland which
      net typical grassland species. But the route is interspersed with
      some nice tracts riparian habitat, and valleys offering mature
      deciduous stands. I really lucked out getting this outstanding
      route. I also think that this area of the province up to the Canora
      area is just teaming with some incredible treasures.

      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "J Frank Roy" <jfroy@...> wrote:

      > Greg: An interesting report. It's fun trying to figure out from
      the list of species seen just where Willowbrook Survey route is.
      For one thing you have a number of stops with water. To get 'only"
      9 bitterns and you are complaining! The combo of Pileated Woodpecker
      and Black-billed Cuckoo, Mountain Bluebird and Eastern Wood Pewee
      sugests a mix of habitat with some forest and some more open land,
      possibly prairie. I'm betting the eastern Qu'Appelle Valley or the
      Moose Mountain-Souris River area. Please let us know. It's fun
      guessing, but in most of our reports, we should give the geographic
      location when it is needed, as in a case like this. Frank Roy

      Cuckcoo
      > > floated across the road landed in a tree, and as Bob would
      say,
      > gave
      > > me some crippling looks at it before it flew back across the
      road.
      > > think this is the first time I have seen this species in about
      15
      > > years. Also new wre Mountain Bluebirds (1 pair), and two
      Eastern
      > > Wood Peewee in two seperate locations.
      > > American Bittern Numbers were way way down with only 9 birds
      found
      > > out of 50 stops. Sora numbers were average with 37
      individuals,
      > and
      > > 2 Virginia Rail were average as well. I did not pick up Yellow
      > Rail
      > > as I had in the past 2 years. Wilson's Snipe were slightly
      down
      > this
      > > year with only 26 individuals found. Also way off were Black
      Tern