13815Re: Friday around Estevan

  • Val
    Mar 1, 2008
      Hey Kathy, Bob and Steven, great sightings for all of you! Glad
      everyone arrived back safely as Doyle and I were on that horrible
      stretch of highway also. There are lots of ring-necked pheasants and
      Sharp-tailed Grouse down by Tribune/Bromhead if anyone is down that
      way. We had a little trip down memory lane with Guy and Sandra,
      Kathy and their relatives from a jaunt Doyle and I took last month
      in this yard where they train hunting dogs in the summer. The
      pheasants and sharp-tailed grouse made an appearance for Doyle and I
      and we hear they have been around here for 50 years or more (not the
      same ones :-)) and in the early years were raised in the area. Good
      luck in your photo quests Dee!

      Val T - McTaggart

      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Hedegard" <hedegardk@...>
      wrote:

      > Morning Birders:
      >
      > We had a little 'special event' down this way yesterday
      afternoon. My friend Barry and I met up with Saskbirders Steven W.
      and Bob L. and visited an elderly lady who has the great fortune to
      live on one fantastic piece of property. Her home overlooks the
      valley below the Boundary Dam spillway. Unfortunately, the Dutch
      Elm has destroyed the big trees, as it has everywhere else along the
      rivers and streams in this area.

      > The main purpose of the visit was to see the wild turkeys that
      lurk around the yard pretty well all day, apparently. Talk about
      well fed birds....hmmmm. Steven and I were both thinking about
      Christmas and Thanksgiving for some reason.

      > In addition to the turkeys, 3-4 white-tailed deer wandered into
      the yard, overcame some skittishness, and nibbled up the grain.
      These are also regular visitors

      > Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers; Black-capped Chickadees and White-
      breasted Nuthatches, with a fly-by of a Black-billed Magpie and Ring-
      neck Pheasant rounded out the viewing.

      > Nice to spent a litte time with Steven and Bob. Did either of You
      happen to see the bird that briefly sat on a post - as we were
      driving out? I didn't get a chance to raise the binocs. Anyway, I
      hope the drive back to Regina wasn't as icy as the morning skate
      down.