      From: Kathy Hedegard
      To: Saskbirds
      Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2008 6:37 AM
      Subject: [Saskbirds] Friday around Estevan

      Morning Birders:

      We had a little 'special event' down this way yesterday afternoon. My friend Barry and I met up with Saskbirders Steven W. and Bob L. and visited an elderly lady who has the great fortune to live on one fantastic piece of property. Her home overlooks the valley below the Boundary Dam spillway. Unfortunately, the Dutch Elm has destroyed the big trees, as it has everywhere else along the rivers and streams in this area.

      The main purpose of the visit was to see the wild turkeys that lurk around the yard pretty well all day, apparently. Talk about well fed birds....hmmmm. Steven and I were both thinking about Christmas and Thanksgiving for some reason.

      In addition to the turkeys, 3-4 white-tailed deer wandered into the yard, overcame some skittishness, and nibbled up the grain. These are also regular visitors

      Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers; Black-capped Chickadees and White-breasted Nuthatches, with a fly-by of a Black-billed Magpie and Ring-neck Pheasant rounded out the viewing.

      Nice to spent a litte time with Steven and Bob. Did either of You happen to see the bird that briefly sat on a post - as we were driving out? I didn't get a chance to raise the binocs. Anyway, I hope the drive back to Regina wasn't as icy as the morning skate down.

      Kathy in Estevan