10737Re: Bald Eagles

  • Val
    Nov 6, 2006
      Thanks Martin and Bob and all. I take photos of everything we're not
      sure of and these aren't feathered down to the bottom of the leg
      plus other hints lean towards Bald Eagles. No mistaking the one we
      saw on Saturday at Carlyle. It flew alongside the car, quite low,
      and had a beautiful white head. We also saw several Common Ravens.

      Val and Doyle

      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bailey and Bjorklund <cmbb@...>
      wrote:

      > > Today Doyle and I took a drive to the south side of Nickle Lake.
      We
      > > didn't see one bird until we drove the trail to the spillway. On
      the
      > > ice of the lake were (I believe) two immature Bald Eagles, one
      being
      > > in the centre of the lake, the other by the shore.
      >
      > Last Sunday we saw an immature and a mature Bald Eagle on the far
      shore.
      > (Different birds.) Note that when flying, Bald Eagle heads stick
      out from
      > the body as far as does the tails. Golden Eagle heads appear
      smaller than
      > the tail ends.
      >
      > Harder to figure out from a distance is that feathering on the
      Golden Eagle
      > goes right down to the toes, whereas with the Bald the leg is not
      completely
      > covered down to the toes.
      >
      > Martin
      >

      > --