10732Re: [Saskbirds] Bald Eagles

  • Bailey and Bjorklund
    Nov 6, 2006
      > Today Doyle and I took a drive to the south side of Nickle Lake. We
      > didn't see one bird until we drove the trail to the spillway. On the
      > ice of the lake were (I believe) two immature Bald Eagles, one being
      > in the centre of the lake, the other by the shore.

      Last Sunday we saw an immature and a mature Bald Eagle on the far shore.
      (Different birds.) Note that when flying, Bald Eagle heads stick out from
      the body as far as does the tails. Golden Eagle heads appear smaller than
      the tail ends.

      Harder to figure out from a distance is that feathering on the Golden Eagle
      goes right down to the toes, whereas with the Bald the leg is not completely
      covered down to the toes.

      Martin