Re: [Sartre] Re: existentialism

  • Tony Franks
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 24 5:07 AM
      On 3/20/08 Namita Kalita <namita232000@...> wrote:
      "Existentialism means suffering as when we exist, with our existence the
      suffering of the life started, and each and every moment we have to try
      to overcome it."

      The experience of "existence as suffering" isn't stated as part of
      Existential thought, but more properly is central to Buddhist teaching.
      However many writers have drawn parallels between Existentialism and
      Buddhism.
      Buddhism teaches that to release ourselves from possessions and
      appetites is the route to Nirvana, a blissful spiritual condition where
      passion, hatred and delusion are extinguished.
      Existentialism suggests that to determine our own notion of "goodness"
      and a moral code is the road to freedom, that is:- freedom from the
      moral imperatives of others.

      On 3/24/08, Menel Mansueto <migs_pm@...> wrote:
      "Existentialism starts by believing there is no God."

      In fact it was Friedrich Niche, the father of Nihilism, who said "God is
      dead".
      This was one of many starting points for Existentialism, but it isn't
      really stated in Existentialist thought itself.
      Søren Kierkegaard was a Christian Existentialist, so God and
      Existentialism are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

      Hope this helps,
      Tony

      Tony Franks
      Website: http://www.Tony-Franks.co.uk
      Voicemail & Fax: 0709 238 4855
    • Miitul
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
        dear all,

        existentialism is a philosophy that has been lost into myth and memory in the postmodern condition of human situatedness. the western world now realizes what could be termed post-existentialism. i shall be very happy to discuss out if anybody is interested.

        Mitul.

      • savisco65
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008

          http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
          > Mitul, i'm really interested in your topic "post-existentialism"
          kindly explain what it means.

        • karun elempulavil
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
            friends, i am afraid that we are after the 'textual' aspirations of
            existensalism, and locked in the past.
            the 'post modern' situation, if one can use that term, is warranted in
            another way(s) to understand the very 'existence' of being, or actions
            - because 'existenalism' still previal as long as an individual long
            for his 'terms' in a society he/she live...
            karun

            On 5/1/08, savisco65 <savisco65@...> wrote:
            > --- In Sartre@yahoogroups.com, Miitul <isolatedsaggi@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > dear all,
            > >
            > > existentialism is a philosophy that has been lost into myth and
            > memory in the postmodern condition of human situatedness. the western
            > world now realizes what could be termed post-existentialism. i shall
            > be very happy to discuss out if anybody is interested.
            > >
            > > Mitul.

            > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
            > > Mitul, i'm really interested in your topic "post-existentialism"
            > kindly explain what it means.

          • namita kalita
            Message 5 of 11 , May 22, 2008
              dear Mitul,

              I m also very interested to know more n more on Sartre. Please, Let me
              know...

              namita