RE: [Sartre] Re: existentialism

  • Rahmad Setiadi
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 24, 2008
      Existentialism in my head is that "Existence precedes Essence"

      In other words. Be Who You Want To Be!

      You are you!

      Cheers.

      Rahmad

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 24, 2008
        On 3/20/08 Namita Kalita <namita232000@...> wrote:
        "Existentialism means suffering as when we exist, with our existence the
        suffering of the life started, and each and every moment we have to try
        to overcome it."

        The experience of "existence as suffering" isn't stated as part of
        Existential thought, but more properly is central to Buddhist teaching.
        However many writers have drawn parallels between Existentialism and
        Buddhism.
        Buddhism teaches that to release ourselves from possessions and
        appetites is the route to Nirvana, a blissful spiritual condition where
        passion, hatred and delusion are extinguished.
        Existentialism suggests that to determine our own notion of "goodness"
        and a moral code is the road to freedom, that is:- freedom from the
        moral imperatives of others.

        On 3/24/08, Menel Mansueto <migs_pm@...> wrote:
        "Existentialism starts by believing there is no God."

        In fact it was Friedrich Niche, the father of Nihilism, who said "God is
        dead".
        This was one of many starting points for Existentialism, but it isn't
        really stated in Existentialist thought itself.
        Søren Kierkegaard was a Christian Existentialist, so God and
        Existentialism are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

        Hope this helps,
        Tony

        Tony Franks
        Website: http://www.Tony-Franks.co.uk
        Voicemail & Fax: 0709 238 4855
      • Miitul
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
          dear all,

          existentialism is a philosophy that has been lost into myth and memory in the postmodern condition of human situatedness. the western world now realizes what could be termed post-existentialism. i shall be very happy to discuss out if anybody is interested.

          Mitul.

        • savisco65
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008

            http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
            > Mitul, i'm really interested in your topic "post-existentialism"
            kindly explain what it means.

          • karun elempulavil
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
              friends, i am afraid that we are after the 'textual' aspirations of
              existensalism, and locked in the past.
              the 'post modern' situation, if one can use that term, is warranted in
              another way(s) to understand the very 'existence' of being, or actions
              - because 'existenalism' still previal as long as an individual long
              for his 'terms' in a society he/she live...
              karun

              On 5/1/08, savisco65 <savisco65@...> wrote:
              > --- In Sartre@yahoogroups.com, Miitul <isolatedsaggi@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > dear all,
              > >
              > > existentialism is a philosophy that has been lost into myth and
              > memory in the postmodern condition of human situatedness. the western
              > world now realizes what could be termed post-existentialism. i shall
              > be very happy to discuss out if anybody is interested.
              > >
              > > Mitul.

              > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
              > > Mitul, i'm really interested in your topic "post-existentialism"
              > kindly explain what it means.

            • namita kalita
              Message 6 of 11 , May 22, 2008
                dear Mitul,

                I m also very interested to know more n more on Sartre. Please, Let me
                know...

                namita